045Super Piston&jug, would a 056 work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seif911

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 045 Super that is ceizing up. The piston is scored too deep to fix and the cylinder is questionable. I believe it happened because of cheap oil and the gasket below the cylinder was ripped in 2 places. I think the person I bought it from had it torn apart. The muffler was mounted upside down. The parts new are $255. It seems way too high for a very old saw. I have 2 questions?:

Can you put a 056 (54mm) cylinder and piston on a 045 super? I found some on Ebay but I can not find any 045 Super parts.

Does anyone have a 045 super cylinder and piston for sale?

I do not know what to do in this situation. For $255 I can probably find a running Stihl saw that can accomodate my 32" bar. Why would I chance fixing it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help that you could possible give me.

Steve

I have the same issues as your having. You may want to talk to Dean at Washington Hot Saws. He has been a tremendous help for me and is one hell of a good feller. I haven"t installed the jug, piston, rings just yet, but as soon as he ships them I am hoping to do so. His number is listed under other sponsers on this site. :blob2: I luv my old 045 super

seif911 said:
The muffler was mounted upside down.

Can you put a 056 (54mm) cylinder and piston on a 045 super?

How in the world was somebody able to mount the muffler upside down???

Oh, yes you can put an 056 barrel on an 045 Super.

Chris B.

Hi,

First, Thanks seaflight101 for the contact. I have a piston and new rings ordered and payed for, from Dean.

Thanks Chris for the answer. I kind of suspected that the 056 was virtually the same thing but I did not know for sure. As for the muffler, I probably worded that wrong. The muffler comes apart in 2 or 3 pieces and what the previous owner did was the piece on the outside that has the exhaust aiming down, he flipped it around and it was pointing towards your hands. When I would really bite down into a big log, I had to keep moving my hands around and switching hands because it was frying my hands even with gloves, let alone making my eyes water.

Thanks for all the help. It turns out that the cylinder is almost spotless. It looked horrible at first but it was only the piston metal smired all over the cylinder. I cleaned it up and I will be reusing that. If it all works then I will feel pretty good about a $50 fix.

Steve

seif911 said:
he flipped it around and it was pointing towards your hands. When I would really bite down into a big log, I had to keep moving my hands around and switching hands because it was frying my hands even with gloves, let alone making my eyes water.

That's kind of funny. Anyways, I figured you meant the front cover.

Chris B.

so, if a 056 super will fit a 045 super, then will a 056 mag fit on a 045 super?
Is the difference between the super, mag and mag 11 the bore????

Back