046 BBK from Northwoods... Thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
I have a very nice 046 with a roached P&C sitting here and am collecting parts for the build. I was wondering what's up with the BBK's. I know i've used them before but seems like every AM P&C is a little different. I've heard of circlips launching? I can open transfers and square ports that the like but I haven't gotten into milling and checking port timing yet. Didn't know if 046 BBK's needed serious port work to make them go...

Thoughts...???

I have one that I have been using . I didn't do anything but open the crankcase a little for the piston to clear and stick it on there. I have been using it for firewood and clearing fallen stuff around the farm for a couple of years. No problems. Seems to have good power, but I haven't made any timed cuts or that sort of thing.

Most guys on here think doing a port job on the regular top end is the way to go. I can't argue with them, but mine performs fine.

bump

So you have to open the crankcase for the piston to clear? hmmm... didn't know that! I'm guessing a dremel will do the job??

Anyone have comments on the circlips "flying off" that I have read about in a few places?

Remember ,you always get what you pay for and the Chicom cylinder I had was so messed up the bumps on the combustion chamber hit the top of the piston and I sent it back. The guys in the know here say the aftermarket parts are second rate. We can take their advice or learn for ourselves. The school of hard knocks has the highest tuition rate but it also has the highest level of retention!

Clip the ears off the circlip and you won't loose it. Makes removing them more difficult, but that's the point :msp_sneaky:

On Baileys site they've got a meteor piston and cylinder kit (search on their site MCA CC1833). It's not a BB kit but their quality 'may' be better. Mastermind's got a thread going about a meteor kit on a 372xp.

Yeah I already looked at the Meteor kits and if I had the extra $75 I would do it... I am thinking about finding a OEM Mahle and throwing a new meteor/epesian slug in it.

I like my big bore on my 6401 b/c it was a free gift and boost of power at the same time. Plus the AM kits are Nikasil coated so I thought they might run ok and last a good long time. This build kinda got outta control on cost for the owner pretty quick after it needed bearings, oil seals, P&C, new sprocket, B&C, gas lines, etc etc etc... I'm trying to do the best i can and stay within the budget at the same time. A good mahle and slug look like they would cost me $115 which would leave a hair of room to get the cylinder bead blasted and honed... and still be under the meteor price.

I think that the majority who comment on this have never used one.

So, there is some splatter you don't like in the ports. Clean it up. Big deal.

And, as far as the problems I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling that it isn't installation error.

I have installed a bunch of aftermarket top ends and they all have worked fine.

It's nuts IMO to put a $300 OEM top end on a beat up parts saw when you can get a good useable saw for $100.

Go try having one of the reputable porters on this website and ask them if they'll port an aftermarket cylinder and they'll say no to porting one ,because their reputation is on the line. The one I got from NWP had tear like drops hanging from the combustion chamber. Installation error?

Throw the circle clips in the trash and order some from Stihl.

On some pistons like a Meteor for an 026 the groove is a different size and the OEM clip will not have enough height to keep the wrist pin from slippng over it.

If you are going to spend $250 dollars to have a port job I can't imagine using a $100 kit, but the vast majority of users have no interest in trying to shave a few seconds or even know what custom porting is.

Last edited:
I agree use a Stihl wrist pin, wrist pin bearing and C-clip and you will be fine also make sure you get a Nikasil lined cycinder I know that Bailey's are and also Northwoodsaws. I have heard good things about the Northwoods kits .

Latest posts

Back