046 dies coming out of the cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have gotten the saw to idle correctly now (some may remeber my post from a couple weeks back)...ended up being i had a leak at the base because i didnt use enough gasket maker when i took out the base gasket. I also replaced the impulse line, but that looked to be in good condition, no dry cracking but did it to be safe.

Next problem is that when i come out of a cut, the saw will blubber out and die if i dont blip the throttle 5-6 times. It will restart fine. I have taken apart the carb and cleaned it when i re-did the base 'sealant', but did not rebuild it.

Other than rebuilding the carb, any other ideas?

I've found that if you come out of a long cut and the saw wants to die like that, you are a little lean on the "L" screw. Richen up the "L" and it will likely come back to idle fine. You may need to screw the "LA" in a bit after richening the "L".

Well the title of the topic is perfect for my saw also. 046 runs good, idles good, but it will sometimes die when coming out of a cut. To lean on L? I'll try changing that and see where it takes me. :)

Also usually takes quite a few pulls to cold start (5+ to get the first plop, then its good), could that be related or are Stihls just mean like that? I noticed all of them are like that sometimes, i guess i just notice it more on the 046 because it requires a stronger pull than the smaller ones. :)

I have gotten the saw to idle correctly now (some may remeber my post from a couple weeks back)...ended up being i had a leak at the base because i didnt use enough gasket maker when i took out the base gasket. I also replaced the impulse line, but that looked to be in good condition, no dry cracking but did it to be safe.

Next problem is that when i come out of a cut, the saw will blubber out and die if i dont blip the throttle 5-6 times. It will restart fine. I have taken apart the carb and cleaned it when i re-did the base 'sealant', but did not rebuild it.

Other than rebuilding the carb, any other ideas?

You could be a bit rich on the high, try leaning it out just a bit, be carefull not too much. Steve

Back