046 "good coil" timing advance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm (slowly) restoring an early 046 with the D-chamber jug. I was reading last night about the "better" ignition module: 3-leg 1309 coil that allegedly has more aggressive timing curves. (Thanks to @Jacob J. for the info there!) I was planning on doing a third to half keyway's worth of advance on the ignition per @blsnelling 's many helpful posts.

My question is, now that I know this module's ignition curves are "better", would my advancing the timing by ~6 degrees be too much? Anyone ever done an advance with the 1309 coil?

Something tells me I'm thinking too hard, and when I get there, I should just try it both ways. Will over-advanced ignition do any permanent harm?

Thanks in advance!

It's my understanding that all coils should have the same total timing advance at max revs. The curve is just off idle, not affecting performance in the cut. It's purpose is to ease starting. With that info in mind, WOT performance should be no discredited with any of the coils.

So if I'm understanding, advancing the flywheel a bit will still be just as beneficial as it would with any other coil. But this one may be a slight pain to start, or may be a bit over-advanced at idle (which probably wouldn't hurt anything).

Jon your assumptions are correct. There are some warning signs when you advance too far. My concern would be if you are tuned to the signs as it would be easy to destroy your hard work and effort. My rule of thumb is to advance slowly until you feel some rattling or vibration that would tell you are over the edge. Also checking the plug to make sure you are in the safe range. Also what altitude and temperature are a factor also, When it is cold the air is heavier and more condensed so that if your saw is already advanced as far as possible then that would be a time it could cause damage. Thanks

Latest posts

Back