046 or 066 which one to fine tune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim046

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I am thinking of getting one of these saws fine tuned(046 mag) or a (066 mag) Most saw shops in my are not that good. So after reading the forum there is a few guys I like already to do the work. I'm not looking for a race saw but a saw that will run like a raped ape. Maybe just some mild porting along with some carb. work(bugger jets) more less just set the saw up to run real well. I'm leaning towards getting the 046 done I use that saw the most and I like the weight of the saw it's heavy but not that heavy with a 20" bar and chain
Which one would you go with. 046 or 066 any benefits from either saw.. I rarely use the 066 just for the real big stuff which I don't do that much . I'm Just a guy clearing out some tree's on my property who would like a good running saw one with just a little more than stock..
Thanks
Jim

I went a step further and put a ported 046 top end on a newer 044 case and now I have a saw that weighs less than an 046 with almost as much power as a stock 066. I've been running a 36" bar on it with no problems at all.

Mike- the newer style 044/440 cases can be identified by the larger cylinder base screws ( 6mm ) over the old ones ( 5mm ). The newer 044 case has a bit more volume in the mixing area as well, since the throws and the webbing on the newer 044/440 crank are bigger than on early 044s. Also look for 6mm mounting holes for the bottom two muffler front mounts.

Converting the saw is a lot of work, the outsides of the 046 cylinder have to be machined in order for it to fit on the narrower 044/440 case, and the mounting holes have to be machined inwards diagonally a bit, to clear the mounting screws. The stroke is the same, so you can use a stock base gasket for long life or use a custom ultra thin gasket for higher compression.

You have to trim the plastic heat shield on the stock 440 top shroud in order to clear the larger 046/460 cylinder. The 046/460 cylinder is slightly longer too, so your muffler will protrude about an extra 10mm, so you'll need to fit a shim behind each of the bottom two front muffler mounting screws.

Basically what this design takes advantage of is the fact that the newer 044/440 case has less volume than the 046/460 case, so you get the bigger displacement and retain more velocity. You'll need to use the Walbro HDA 16-A carburetor with the .70 jet so you can feed this hog enough fuel ( came stock on a lot of early 046 and some 460 saws ).

It's best to leave the 046/460 piston at its stock weight, the saw runs and idles as smooth as any regular 046 does.

I like that idea. Is the bottom end up to handling what the new top end is putting out?

Was the cooling fin surface area reduced?

The main bearings are the same for both the newer 044/440 and the 046/460 ( part numbers are identical ). The big end rod bearing is the same also ( reference Stihl 044 Technical bulletin #16.94 ). The only differences are the smaller crankcase of the 044/440 and the shorter PTO side of the crank on the 044/440 crank. The conversion can only be done with 044s manufactured after 10/94, this is when the big end rod bearing was upgraded.

You also have to use the newer 044/440 flywheel- #1128 400 1214. The old 1200 flywheel won't clear the wider 046 cylinder.

I've built two of these for myself, and have cut almost 200mbf with one of them. I also built three of these for local timber fallers, one has almost 60 days in the brush and shows no signs of breaking down yet.

The cooling fin area is still acceptable, but you do have to cut that plastic heat shield away in your 044/440 top cover, or else there won't be enough airflow over the top of the cylinder. You also want to make sure you fit the rubber grommet that goes around the compression release indent, even if you remove the compression release and use the plug. If you don't fit that grommet, the airflow will shoot out the top of the cover instead of across the full width of the top of the cylinder. When this happens, the PTO side of the cylinder gets too hot.

This is my way of giving the Dolmar/Makita 7900 a run for its money.

woodfarmer said:
i had my 066 out today to cut up some 20" beech, it has the dual port muffler on it, no other mods and man it cuts. no need to do any other adjustment

Yep, it's real nice to have a stock saw that cuts great!!! I'm with you on the 066/660 Mag ......

ran my 066 today too. it is nice to have enough, erh to much power for the task at hand. I haven't run any of the bigger huskies (394, 395, 3120) but this 066 has got to be one of the best running stock saws out there. The wieght really isn't that bad if you let the saw do the work.....

Steve

Mike- the newer style 044/440 cases can be identified by the larger cylinder base screws ( 6mm ) over the old ones ( 5mm ). The newer 044 case has a bit more volume in the mixing area as well, since the throws and the webbing on the newer 044/440 crank are bigger than on early 044s. Also look for 6mm mounting holes for the bottom two muffler front mounts.

Converting the saw is a lot of work, the outsides of the 046 cylinder have to be machined in order for it to fit on the narrower 044/440 case, and the mounting holes have to be machined inwards diagonally a bit, to clear the mounting screws. The stroke is the same, so you can use a stock base gasket for long life or use a custom ultra thin gasket for higher compression.
How do you make sure to jug is centered on the crankcase after elongating the head bolt holes????

stangman I hate to admit it but comparing stock saws the 395xp is a bit more aggressive in the cut. I owned one for about 2 days. Ergonomically the husky didn't feel as comfortable to me so I traded it back for the 660.

stangman I hate to admit it but comparing stock saws the 395xp is a bit more aggressive in the cut. I owned one for about 2 days. Ergonomically the husky didn't feel as comfortable to me so I traded it back for the 660.

Freakinstang dont get to play much with his new JOB,,,,,

You realize your trying to get him to respond to an almost three year old thread?????

Latest posts

Back