046 or new 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photos of the 046
That saw has been beat up. as Crusherclaw said, "That 046 has seen some serious use , unless you are mechanical it could be a head ache. I'd take the 600.00 you were gonna spend on the 391 and post a want ad on this site and see what it turns up."

May I add that even if you are mechanical, it will be a head ache. There are 046s out there for the same price and in better condition.

Im a Stihl man but I'd never pay the new price for the ranch saws. I'd avoid that 046 too since you can't know for sure if it was done right. The 046 and 460s are relatively common on the trade post here and there's a lot of reputable sellers. Day before yesterday I saw 2 461s in nice shape for 480 and 500 at a local pawn shop. The saws are out there, just be patient.

If you need a 60cc saw then buy a 60cc saw and not a 75cc saw. Pricewise I would look at the Dolmar 6100, for about the same a little less powerful the husqvarn 555 or for very little money in th same power range as the 555 you could get the Echo 590 for around 400$!!! 7

That saw looks beat to hell. If they put in a cylinder and are selling it right away, I doubt it's OEM. Probably some China crap.

7sleeper mentioned the Echo 590.. that is a better saw for less money than a Stihl 391.

Also a 046 is a big saw, if you go that route you would probably also want a 50cc saw like an 026 to go with it.

If you want to get one saw, a 036 would be a good choice. You could get one in good condition for 300 or less.

Don't forget the orange saws - you can get a heck of a lot of used 2-series Husqvarna on a $300-400 budget. There have been a few 266 on here lately (one of them came to live at my house) that were <$300, even. Looking also at 268, 272, those would all be worth considering in place of a 391 or beat up 046. And those particular 2-series saws are dead simple saws to work on, with tons of parts around (OEM and aftermarket).

i agree the 361 is the all around saw not to big for little stuff but not to small for bigger plus the weight is about right for a one saw plan

A 391 is what I was originally looking at. That said I ran a ms460 for a few years off and on as clearing needed for my job excavating. I really liked the power of the 460. So when I seen one for less than the 391 I was gonna buy I was sold. I already have some smaller saws I can use as needed. I may end up with a 360 yet, but I'd prefer a 460. I'll be cutting hardwood into lengths for a portable sawmill, also firewood.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I also had
A 391 is what I was originally looking at. That said I ran a ms460 for a few years off and on as clearing needed for my job excavating. I really liked the power of the 460. So when I seen one for less than the 391 I was gonna buy I was sold. I already have some smaller saws I can use as needed. I may end up with a 360 yet, but I'd prefer a 460. I'll be cutting hardwood into lengths for a portable sawmill, also firewood.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I had a 391 also the coil died before the saw was a year old. No power and kinda heavy. 046 is a great saw, but hard to find one that hasnt been ran hard.

I'd go for the 046 - just cos it has more character! But then again I'd be prepared to spend time and money getting it running nice :)

There's a ported 365xt in the trading post section of this forum. It looks damn near new, and I think the guy stayed pretty conservative with what he did. If you're looking for a stout 70cc saw... Just saying, but I'm also a husky guy.

I'd go for the 046 - just cos it has more character! But then again I'd be prepared to spend time and money getting it running nice :)
The question always remains, why "spend time and money" if you can spend it in the beginning and get a much nicer well taken care of saw for the same...

Latest posts

Back