051 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.moore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cleaning everything up and draining for storage and noticed the lower 4 bushings are toast, completely seperated and in pieces. I hate the "isolation" feeling they give from the saw so would I be risking damaged the case if I turned out all 6 bushings in aluminum and dumped the rubber? Don't want to do it and break the casting, I really love the saw and don't want to lose it.

Wow! Really?! Are you isolated from your saw now? How thin is the air at your elevation? Any other safety devices you would like to remove or otherwise nullify? Perhaps the trigger, just tape it full on and that way no more pesky squeezing to tire out you fingers while cutting 16 cords of aspen with one chain.

Put new rubber in, it will firm it back up nicely and I think you'll be surprised just how far gone your current bushings are. Running solid and without bushings is just stupid for your hands/forearms, and not so great for the saw, either.

If you knew the 051 justsaws you would know there are no safety feaures. It is pre safety features. No chain brake from the factory and the throttle lock out is basically worn out and inop both of which I'm perfectly fine with. If you can't answer my question, let the other who can do so. See below.

computeruser & Lakeside thanks for the reply, new rubber bushings will "firm" it up that much? They don't seem that heavy but it could be just from absorbing oil for 35 years. I guess I'm just paranoid about buying new bushings and having it feel like a new saw would. When I bought it I basically had a blank check and the OK from my wife to get whatever I wanted so I ran a 660 & 880 neither of which I liked but after running an old 051 the shop wouldn't sell I had to have one so I'm rather "protective" of it. I'd throw the 455 or 025 under a train but never the 051 or XL-12. Also, are they still available or is it a NOS item from fleabay?

Thanks, Lakeside hopefully the can find the right part. The usual guy said there was no such saw :monkey: . The part time guy knows what he's doing, hopefully I'll get lucky and he'll be there. Since they will have to be ordered I'll just have them get the whole set.

Latest posts

Back