Access to Saws for Bidness Stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am asking for business advice or help, please.

I make aftermarket saw parts, specifically felling spikes, so I want access to saws to make new parts.
I want to test fit and function and make sure parts look good and fit correctly.
I don't want to have to buy a new saw for every new product.
I do NOT need to run a saw to test fit the parts, however I prefer to have a saw in my hands for several weeks for fine tuning the part fit and for taking photographs of the finished product.

The saw I am after right now is a 372.

Here is what I imagine as my options. Please advise or give tips.

1) Buy a new saw for every project, then re-sell the saw. This is an expensive and losing proposition because of the risk for the buyer of the "new" saw.
2) Get access to new saws at a dealer for fit test. This does not really work, either, because saws could be scratched or otherwise damaged which makes dealers squeamish.
3) Buy a used saw for every project. This may be doable but somewhat of a hassle. Time and money is spent buying then re-selling the saw. A possible solution, however.
4) Find local users of the saw I want, then work with the owner. Maybe pay them a fee for use of the saw for a few weeks, or give them a finished product for their trouble. It is hard to gain that trust and assure the user the saw won't be run or damaged.

What is the best solution?
How have other companies done this? I don't simply copy the OEM design but start from scratch for what I think would work best, so simply copying OEM shape won't cut the mustard for me. I am into improving the OEM design when possible.

Thanks

I’d suggest finding junked basket cases for this project. It’s cheap, plentiful, there is no risk of damaging someone else’s saw, most people online who love saws will be willing to lend it to you for a while in return for a set of spikes. It doesn’t inconvenience them not having a working saw.

Yeah, I am starting to ask around for non-running full saws or at least cases and dogs.
A full saw would still be best for demonstration photos, at least the shell including cases, dogs, handles, top covers. It wouldn't even have to have a crank or piston or bearings or wires as long as that didn't show in photos.
A non-running saw would probably be best for me to borrow or buy. If bought I could maybe get it running and make a few bucks or re-sell the parts for minimal loss.

I make parts as well. But carb and oil delivery parts. I borrow from good friends I've meet on line and return parts plus free samples as a return gesture. Or as I sometimes have to do is say in your case is maybe buy a carcass instead of a whole saw on eBay. I've had to do that a few times as buying carbs then gutting them for dimensions. I store them away for future reference.

<unsponsored link has been deleted>
My store

I got a 372xpw that is down rn, it kinda runs but I need to rebuild and currently have no money so your welcome if need be.

Talk to a few local dealers, see if they would line you up with temporary use of their used or abandoned saws, perhaps new saws in exchange for a few of the new spikes. Non-OEM bucking spikes aren't that commonly sold at the dealership, so you might have to work out a set fee for any new saws. A local dealer will have lots of machines coming in and going out, and you will prefer to have a "no shipping" source, especially for new models.

If your dealer is unwilling to work with you on new saws, you might persuade them to post a notice in their store for saws that you are seeking to use as a template. Then you would only be getting saws from a local individual, who might have a greater interest in having your product in exchange for leaving the saw with you for a couple of days.

I can see it now, hanging on their community board:
"Would you like free bucking spikes for your chainsaw? We need YOUR saw to use as a template at our manufacturing facility. We are looking for the following models of saw..."​
Then offer the dealer a discount on the bucking spikes so that he can sell your product locally.

BTW: Contact Arbor1 at this website when you get your product line going. We allow advertising here if you are paying for a sponsorship. Yep. I'm a company man, trying to sell you some advertising.

I make parts as well. But carb and oil delivery parts. I borrow from good friends I've meet on line and return parts plus free samples as a return gesture. Or as I sometimes have to do is say in your case is maybe buy a carcass instead of a whole saw on eBay. I've had to do that a few times as buying carbs then gutting them for dimensions. I store them away for future reference.

<unsponsored link has been deleted>
My store
Nice e-bay site.

ti-dawgs.com is my site.

Since I am responding to your post, this isn't advertising, is it? ;)

Umm... Yep. In fact, watching out for "spam" is about the only thing I am good for at this website.
I'll fix it by losing the link for you.

Afterthought: you should develop an exchange program, where you loan someone a comparable saw already equipped with your spikes. That way you won't have folks without the capacity to doing their cutting while you have their saw. Obviously, it might be bad form to loan an 088 Stihl out on a Poulan Pro.

Umm... Yep. In fact, watching out for "spam" is about the only thing I am good for at this website.
I'll fix it by losing the link for you.

Afterthought: you should develop an exchange program, where you loan someone a comparable saw already equipped with your spikes. That way you won't have folks without the capacity to doing their cutting while you have their saw. Obviously, it might be bad form to loan an 088 Stihl out on a Poulan Pro.
Sorry about the link I totally forgot I was trying to reference the idea. But it wasn't " Spam "

1) Buy a new saw for every project, then re-sell the saw. This is an expensive and losing proposition because of the risk for the buyer of the "new" saw.
2) Get access to new saws at a dealer for fit test. This does not really work, either, because saws could be scratched or otherwise damaged which makes dealers squeamish.
3) Buy a used saw for every project. This may be doable but somewhat of a hassle. Time and money is spent buying then re-selling the saw. A possible solution, however.
4) Find local users of the saw I want, then work with the owner. Maybe pay them a fee for use of the saw for a few weeks, or give them a finished product for their trouble. It is hard to gain that trust and assure the user the saw won't be run or damaged.

Thanks

5. Post: "help me test dogs for a free set." They send you pics of current dogs, which you digitize to get the aft-end of the dogs sized correctly. You design your dogs and send the saw owner a Beta set for testing. They test and provide feedback. Not as good as you testing them...but, if you get to making them for less-common saws, this might be the only cheap way. I also bet, as you do more and more, you'll get better at quickly/easily designing the business end of the dogs.

Roy

Have you considered reaching out to local logging or tree service companies? They often have older saws that might be just what you need. Could be retired saws or ones earmarked for disposal.

Latest posts

Back