056 magnum II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

occisor arboris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked this beast up yesterday, no user manual, but it runs like a champ and seems to pack a lot of power. It's heavy enough anyway. I'll probably use it as a stump hawg and to drop big trees. Any insight anyone might have to how this saw will function for that purpose would be greatly appreciated. My chief question, however, is about the chain pitch. I can't find a solid answer on whether these were 3/8 or .404, and I'm not sure how to tell by looking at the sprocket.

Thanks for your answers,

- Albert

LMAO... look who's callin' who a "newb"... :laugh:

The 056 Mag2 was "the" big fallin' saw before the 066 came out. That saw is responsible for a lot of old growth and second growth timber bein' harvested here in the PNW. Very desireable saw. :)

You can run .404... lord knows it will pull it... but 3/8" is more user friendly, especially if all your other saws have 3/8" on them... that way you don't have to have a different file set for just one saw.

3/8" will be just fine... if you put a bar over 24" on it... run full skip. It will like it a lot better for chip clearance. Even in stumps.

Gary

the 056 is a modern marvel

I have an old 056 that I just got running right. I love eet. Yesterday I went out back and fired it up just to hear it roar. Took a few thin slices off a big butt just to fill my shoes with sawchips.:greenchainsaw:

LMAO... look who's callin' who a "newb"... :laugh:

The 056 Mag2 was "the" big fallin' saw before the 066 came out. That saw is responsible for a lot of old growth and second growth timber bein' harvested here in the PNW. Very desireable saw. :)

You can run .404... lord knows it will pull it... but 3/8" is more user friendly, especially if all your other saws have 3/8" on them... that way you don't have to have a different file set for just one saw.

3/8" will be just fine... if you put a bar over 24" on it... run full skip. It will like it a lot better for chip clearance. Even in stumps.

Gary

Aren't you just a funny guy Gary. :laugh::bringit:

Howdy, my 056 runs great but I'm having trouble finding an air filter. I got this one filter from a place online. It looked just like the old one on my saw but it wouldn't fit. When I held the old one and the new one together up to the light, one of the bolt holes is off by about 1/8". So I call the guy I got it from and he says "oh does it say FAF 4 on it" , well yeah "oh sorry, those don't fit blah, blah send it back". So then I hear his wife in the background say "well why the he!! did you send it to him if you knew it wouldn't fit..." All the ones I've found online are $35-$45 bucks but when I "click here for larger image" it says FAF 4 right on the plastic. Has any one else come across FAF4. Are these old filters that hard to get and/or expensive or is there a good place to find one?

thanks for the help

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll run the 3/8, and shoot for a 24 inch bar. This thing is a real earth shaker and will pull you right over the log if you aren't careful. In a word, awesome saw to have. I'll keep my fingers crossed as to the ignition.

Back