064 av not running right down low

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04titanse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I rebuild this saw a few months ago, new crank bearings and seals. New rings and oil, fuel hoses etc.

I have never really run this saw before, it was about to die when I picked it up. I replaced the flywheel due to broken fins and started the beast up.

Just to clarify, it idles and starts pretty good. Its a little hard to start when warm if only on run. If on 1/2 choke its starts right up.

when reving it with out load its sounds good, acceleration in pretty good, a little tiny bit slow from idles, but overall sounds good and not indication anything is wrong other than needing fine tuning.

when in the cut top end its pretty good, not really what I expected from a freshly rebuild 064 w/ 24" bar, but pretty good. Off idle and mid range are a little slow, adequate, but a little slow and too often to have the chain stop. If i scream the saw up high it pulls the chain well, but i feel like it should have more power. its got a new plug and air filter is good fuel filter seems fine.

should I change the flywheel back to the stock one...? replace the coil....?

Others here should chime in soon!

But my small bit of if says that if it is the CORRECT FLY WHEEL AND COIL,
then your issue lies in the carb adjustment.

I know how frustrating it can be, but try retuning the carb before you dig further as you mention.

Peak in the muffler to make sure it is not leaning out, which it does not sound as is. I ate a piston on a fresh rebuilt, man that sucked!!! I am not perfect!

Did you rebuild the carb, are your jets, needles clean?

It sounds like a carb adjustment problem to me too. My 064 starts perfect after it's warmed up. It screams at the top end and has good power from top to bottom. Is your clutch in decent shape? I was having stalling problems at very low speeds too, but that's because my clutch and drum were shot. Put a new set on and it cuts right at any speed. With a 24" bar that saw should scream. Good luck, the 064 is one of the best saws around.

:cheers:

I pulled the flywheel off and its definitely the right one. they are identical and both have the same part numbers. I guess it could be a coil issue or a carb tuning problem.

the clutch might be worn but I don't think that is my current problem. Its not a matter of cutting well, but a lack of power down.

After running my 361 in the same wood today I think the 064 is running down on power everywhere but especially down low. The pine I was cutting was very easy cutting and there was not a tremendous difference in cutting power between the 361 and 064. obviously not supposed to be that way haha.

any help would be much appreciated, i would really like to get this saw running!!!

I rebuild this saw a few months ago, new crank bearings and seals. New rings and oil, fuel hoses etc.

I have never really run this saw before, it was about to die when I picked it up. I replaced the flywheel due to broken fins and started the beast up.

Just to clarify, it idles and starts pretty good. Its a little hard to start when warm if only on run. If on 1/2 choke its starts right up.

when reving it with out load its sounds good, acceleration in pretty good, a little tiny bit slow from idles, but overall sounds good and not indication anything is wrong other than needing fine tuning.

when in the cut top end its pretty good, not really what I expected from a freshly rebuild 064 w/ 24" bar, but pretty good. Off idle and mid range are a little slow, adequate, but a little slow and too often to have the chain stop. If i scream the saw up high it pulls the chain well, but i feel like it should have more power. its got a new plug and air filter is good fuel filter seems fine.

should I change the flywheel back to the stock one...? replace the coil....?

064 should pull a 24 inch inch with ease, I got 2 of them and they pull great. Sounds like you got a fuel delivery issue. Takes fuel to make power, not air. May wanna check that tank vent and check how many rpms its turning. If its running lean it will be a dog under a load...

064 should pull a 24 inch inch with ease, I got 2 of them and they pull great. Sounds like you got a fuel delivery issue. Takes fuel to make power, not air. May wanna check that tank vent and check how many rpms its turning. If its running lean it will be a dog under a load...

how do i check the tank vent...? where should the vent be routed to.....? Does anyone know about where the idle and H/L screws should be set just to get a starting point....

how do i check the tank vent...? where should the vent be routed to.....? Does anyone know about where the idle and H/L screws should be set just to get a starting point....

Vent is over near the carb. If I were you here's what I would do. Set both carb screws out one turn each. That is a slightly rich setting but not too much. Try the saw in a cut and see what happens. If that saw is turning more than 13,000 rpms its on the lean end. A lean running saw has no pulling power in the cut....

Vent is over near the carb. If I were you here's what I would do. Set both carb screws out one turn each. That is a slightly rich setting but not too much. Try the saw in a cut and see what happens. If that saw is turning more than 13,000 rpms its on the lean end. A lean running saw has no pulling power in the cut....

I will give that a shot tomorrow! Could anyone give me some more input.....how can I test the coil?

when i changed the bearings I did change the bottom end case gasket if thats what your asking......although the bar oil has been leaking a little.

I know, just realized it was yesterday. I am going to take a closer look and get this thing running!!!!

If your getting too much fuel your flooding the saw out. Throw a tach on it and see what your are running when it seems slow. It sounds like it's a fuel issue to me. Post a video of it if you can.

Back