064 Broke and Roasted the 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaladinMan187

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my buddy and I went to do our first really lucrative tree job up to this point. This job is the whole reason I went to go get the 064. We went out Saturday and cut the tree down, limbed and bucked it and hauled it off. *Blue Spruce*. Both saws ran perfectly. We went back with a rented stump grinder today and took care of that mess. The farm we always work at had some stumps to do as well. We go over and want to cut the trunks off before we take the grinder to them seeing as the cutters on the stump grinder were dull as hell. First Rob's 046 starts to smoke a little from under the cylinder cover and just dies mid cut. Now that saw will not start at all. I take out my loving 064 and am finding I'm not getting as much oil as I want from the bar oiler so I adjust it and little and go for my last cut on the last stump. I start getting smoke and the saw will not pull shavings. I look and see the bar is bone dry but I'm getting oil at my feet where its been dripping down the bar from back behind the clutch cover. I spit on the chain and find its more than somewhat warm. Dear Lord i'm screwed. We did make good money tho!:greenchainsaw:

Well it's apparent 4 and 6 certainly aren't your lucky numbers. :)
No freaking kidding!

Dude... that sucks... did you pull the muffler on the 046? Figger out what the deal was with the 064 oiler?

Gary
Havn't done either yet. I didn't get back to my car untill 10:00 last night and then it wouldn't start. I was too annoyed to deal with it.

So my buddy I work with doing trees *Rob* calls today. He tells me he MIGHT have not mixed enough oil for our saws. This means he buggered up and didn't mix the crud right. The only thing that I think saved my saw from being trashed was that I bought the saw full and never completely emptied it before he figured out what he did. He said he remixed the fuel and oil before he told me that afternoon. I'm going to tear down both saws and see whats what. The other thing that isn't in our favor is that the P/C on the 046 is a big bore kit from baileys and not OE. He loaned it out to someone who ran straight gas in it and had to do some repairs. I'm going down tomorrow to pick up both saws and I'm going to see what happened. I'm going to kick his hind end if he roached my new saw because he was too stupid that morning to mix the fuel right. We shall see.

If oil is dripping out at your feet, maybe just your bar needs a good cleaning, check them bar oil holes.

I ran a pick down the bar and got a ton of crud out so I might have missed the port at the top of the bar. I'll check that. Thanks parrisw

ALWAYS use your own fuel for your own saws. Period. It is amazing how many people do not understand the fuel a 2-stroke engine needs.

So sorry to hear about yer saws. 064 pistons are gittin' a bit hard to find, I hear. Good luck on that.

Post pics if you get a chance.

ALWAYS use your own fuel for your own saws. Period. It is amazing how many people do not understand the fuel a 2-stroke engine needs.

So sorry to hear about yer saws. 064 pistons are gittin' a bit hard to find, I hear. Good luck on that.

Yea. I'm learning to use my own fuel for my saws. This is why I went and bought a new saw when he insisted on using his. He's not quite reliable and its killing me right now. He knows what can happen if you don't mix it right and he still is very nonchalant about it. I'm going to start buying AMSOIL brand 2 stroke oil for my mixes. I also found out today that the mix he has been using is a cheaper oil which is also really irking me. I go down to pick up the saws tomorrow. I'll try to find a camera so I can take some pics. The chain got so hot in the tree stump on the last cut with the 064 that it streched about a half inch before I pulled the saw out and gave up.

The raker gauges that Oregon and Stihl sell works great for that - but not for their main intended purpose......:laugh::laugh:
Someone is going to smack me in a minute so I'm going to beg forgiveness from the forum mod Gods but.................................................Whiskey Tengo Foxtrot is a *Raker Gauge*?

Someone is going to smack me in a minute so I'm going to beg forgiveness from the forum mod Gods but.................................................Whiskey Tengo Foxtrot is a *Raker Gauge*?

It's a little metal piece that you put on top on your chain when taking down the rakers. It ensures that the raker depths are all equal. I believe they're available in .020, .025, and .030".

my first thought was lean mix, almost always the case when more than one saw goes down . that sux.

If your saw is pumping enough oil to drip down from the clutch, then something is clogged up. Probably the oil hole in the bar. I had a bar that I just quit using because the oil hole would clog up.

Probably don't have to tell you this now, but I am paranoid about the fuel mix for my saws. Nobody mixes it but me, and nobody fuels my saws but me. That plan has worked since 1986 with zero damage to my saws.:deadhorse:

Bailey's has a healthy supply of Meteor brand aftermarket pistons for 064 now. Not perfect, but they're about the best aftermarket product available.

Latest posts

Back