064 Clutch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am removing mthe clutch on my 064. It sure seems like it really on there. Before I lay into it I wanted to check and make sure i'm not missing anything. I am using the rope in the plug hole for a stop. It doesn't want to break free. The threads are LH right? Do I need to really crank on it to remove? WDO

I am removing mthe clutch on my 064. It sure seems like it really on there. Before I lay into it I wanted to check and make sure i'm not missing anything. I am using the rope in the plug hole for a stop. It doesn't want to break free. The threads are LH right? Do I need to really crank on it to remove? WDO

Its reverese thread, so you have to turn it to the right to take it off and left to put it back on.

Sometimes they work themselves on there really tight. A scrench won't work in these cases, so use a good wrench if you're not already.
Stabilize the saw really well and don't crack anything while you turn it off.
It will come, use the force. (watch your knuckles)

Sometimes they work themselves on there really tight. A scrench won't work in these cases, so use a good wrench if you're not already.
Stabilize the saw really well and don't crack anything while you turn it off.
It will come, use the force. (watch your knuckles)

Thanks...will do. Just wanted to check before I wailed to it. WDO

I took a decent 19mm deep well socket and ground the front of it flat (it was a Craftsman socket and the front was recessed.) This gives me a little more bite on the narrow shoulder of the cast-in nut on Stihl clutches.

I've had to use my large impact wrench/socket on both of the 066 flywheels I've pulled. Although, you need to be careful doing that, one of them I got carried away and sheared the woodruff key right off..:jawdrop:

Anyway, the impact wrench always takes care of business for me and you don't have to bother with stopping the cylinder.

064 clutch

WDO curious if your had a washer between the clutch & oiler worm gear? did all 064's have one? I know the ipl shows one, but my crank doesn't have the notch or groove like 066 has. Thanks

Latest posts

Back