064 father's day pick project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkranger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's one of my Father's Day bike ride saw picks. Picked up seven saws and a box of parts for $50. It's pretty ratty 064. Other than appearance it seems solid. Tag on the handle says "inspect to get running, call owner to see if worth fixing". I like the "Caution" tape, nice touch. This bunch of saws was picked by the PO from a repair shop's unwanted pile.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=143268&stc=1&d=1278646125
attachment.php

This ole girl has seen some use, but stihl has lots of life left in her.
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is promising. Registered 155# with a few pulls, but feels like more. Old school, no decomp. Also got nice fat spark.:clap:
attachment.php

That doesn't look "ratty" to me at all. Not really even dirty. I think you made out like a bandit.

What is a "PO"?

few more pics

Lord knows some of my primary work saws go a bit between cleanings, but this is shameful........
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A pile of stripped down, cleaned up parts. Now it's time for assessment. Got a couple minor plastic repair jobs to do, probably going to JB w/rod re-enforcement on that bottom piece. Not sure on the air box yet. Top handle has a bad crack above top mounting screws. Two AV buffers are shot, starter pawls are whooped and I'm missing a carb. Also going to need the HD air filter. The mount for that wasn't originally on the "sale table", but was scrounged from the barn later.:clap:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That doesn't look "ratty" to me at all. Not really even dirty. I think you made out like a bandit.

What is a "PO"?

Did you look at the inside of that recoil cover?? Hard to believe this thing would even pull cooling air through it.

PO = previous owner. Sorry, sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the acronyms......:dizzy:

I think I did OK, pretty stoked actually. Can't wait to get this ole girl back together. Hopefully the carb isn't going to be difficult to obtain. Going to need some assistance when I get there, because the IPL isn't to clear on the HD setup vs. standard. To know which baffles and gaskets I need that is.

Last edited:
Great score! I'm curious to hear what else you got for that measly 50 bones.

Well, that 028 in the back of the first pic. It's tore down and waiting on a few parts. A couple Husky 40s, a few almost-new Poulan/Craftsman saws that were straight gassed and a couple boxes of odds & ends, including some nice Stihl recoil covers.

This is how I got it all home............confessions of a CAD afflicted individual...

attachment.php

Carb should not be hard to find. That saw will rip when you get it all back together. What model bike is that? Not that familiar with sport/touring bikes. Always nice to have at least one guy with saddle bags on his bike. LOL My jockey shifted HD has had me leave more than a few good yard sale finds behind.

Carb should not be hard to find. That saw will rip when you get it all back together. What model bike is that? Not that familiar with sport/touring bikes. Always nice to have at least one guy with saddle bags on his bike. LOL My jockey shifted HD has had me leave more than a few good yard sale finds behind.

That's good news on the carb. I hope to find one easily. I see in IPL mention of accessory parts that go with a Bing carb. Is the Bing preferable to a Walbro? Anyone know?

My bike is a Buell Ulysses. It's the best bike I've ever ridden and now it's a two year old collectable due to the brand's assassination by the MoCo. The Hepco Becker bags sure do haul a lot, and the stash sea bag helps too...;) I've hauled some serious loads on the bike, good thing my suspension is adjustable.

edit: here's a shot of the "muly" headed to the shop to mount some new sneakers for one of my other rides.
attachment.php

Last edited:
If I remember correctly I read a post by Jacob J saying that the Bing was the best carb for that saw. Carb kits, however, were REAL hard to come by. Pretty sure it was a Jacob J post.

Latest posts

Back