064 kick back?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmemmert

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've just aquired an 064. The saw on the outside looks incredibley clean. I pulled the muffler, and it looks like the exhaust port has been opened up, and the piston was cleaned up after a scuff job. It appears to have new rings.

I think the compression feels ok, but not the greatest. But when you try to start it, its like trying to start a Honda CR500R with tennis shoes on. It is hard to start, but does run, and runs very strong when it does.

I start it just like all the other stihls, but it seems like about every other pull, it rips the cord right out of your hand. This is with it on the ground, and my foot on the handle.

I plan on cleaning the carb tomorrow, along with adjusting it, to see if I can get it to start more consistantly.

If I can get it to run better, It will be one of the nicest condition saws I've got.

So does this kick-back thing make any sense? What causes it?

I thought maybe since it has been modded, that the timing may be a little off now?

...and.. or... the crank key is in the wrong flywheel slot... Yes, they will run but like to rip your fingers off starting...

or... someone has deliberately advanced the ignition too much...

Last edited:
Andy what ignition is on the 064 I bought from you? It has never tried to bite me yet, but I pull it over until its on compression stroke before drop starting it.

...and.. or... the crank key is in the wrong flywheel slot... Yes, they will run but like to rip your fingers off starting...

Yeah, it wants to rip my fingers off. I bet that happend when they rebuilt it. At least I hope that is all.

I'll check it out in the morning.

I find they only kick on cold frosty morning when the fingers are stiff and numb...:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I start all customers saws very carefully....

Kickback on chainsaws is associated with the guide bar and can occur when chain at the tip touches an object or gets pinched causing the guide bar to launch up and back toward the operator, which could cause the operator to lose control of the saw and result in serious personal injury. Your saw is just trying to so you whose boss. Get the starter rope up to the compression stroke, take a deep breath and pull for all your worth. One of you will eventually win..

Last edited:
Kickback on chainsaws is associated with the guide bar and can occur when chain at the tip touches an object or gets pinched causing the guide bar to launch up and back toward the operator, which could cause the operator to lose control of the saw and result in serious personal injury. You saw is just trying to so you whose boss. Get the starter rope up to the compression stroke, take a deep breath and pull for all your worth. One of you will eventually win..

Yeah, kickback was a poor choice of words on my part. I know what a tuff saw to start feels like. This one is different. There is definitely something off in the timing in my opinion now.

Roll the piston by pulling the cord until the pressure drops and give a good committed pull. Always works for me. Check the compression too. I'm weak, I'll go for a decompression valve at 190 psi on 70cc+ saw

I have started my share of tough saws too. My 3120 is a real bear even with the decompression valve. I have been through more starter ropes on this saw than chains! Good luck with the saw.

I've just aquired an 064.

But when you try to start it, its like trying to start a Honda CR500R with tennis shoes on.

:ices_rofl: I wrecked several right shoes back in the day starting my CR500. That was the bike that made me buy MX boots.........454:hmm3grin2orange:

Saws that bite the hand...

I have several that will bite if you do not pull with some authority. Problem is they don't bite for a few pulls so you get a bit careless, then "BANG!", gotcha.

My 036 Stihl seems to be worse than the 066 but I generally pay close attention to the 066.

Of the McCulloch's, the 740 and 1-85 (both right hand starters) will get you when you least expect it. One of the SP125's can be started w/o the compression release, if you are very precise in your technique. The other one, don't even think about pulling it over with first depressing the compression release.

Mark

Back