064 Mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
I'd check the ring gap (put them in the bore out of the piston.) The might have been old rings with the ends ground down...

.078, Is that OK? :laugh: I wish I had a compression tester! Oh well at least now it has become fun to see what else I can find that's been jury rigged.

Lake what is the spec for the ring gap? I definately will go back together eventually, maybe.

I'm sure sure what the "spec is" but I normally see 1-2 thou per inch of bore...

Yours are worn, but not excessively so. Hard to see how the saw got assembled with the rings upside down unless your ring grooves are badly worn..??

Agreed!!!!

Lakeside53 said:
I'm sure sure what the "spec is" but I normally see 1-2 thou per inch of bore...

Yours are worn, but not excessively so. Hard to see how the saw got assembled with the rings upside down unless your ring grooves are badly worn..??

Thats all it can be the if the end gap is still within spec or maybe aftermarket rings that are thinner??????

Lakeside53 said:

I don't know but here's a pic: View attachment 41280

I got ya, still cannot understand why it ran with out trashing the cylinder or piston or both it should have been very restricted to even just turn over????

When you have a bad bearing usually they do "bind", but not always..

Here's pic of an 026 saw with a colapsed bearing case - probably similar to what your have on your 064... It ran "o.k" but was having trouble maintaining crankcase pressure at idle...

attachment.php

Lakeside53 said:
When you have a bad bearing usually they do "bind", but not always..

Here's pic of an 026 saw with a colapsed bearing case - probably similar to what your have on your 064... It ran "o.k" but was having trouble maintaining crankcase pressure at idle...

Nail on the head Lake. That is exactly what mine looks like.

View attachment 41284

SmokinDodge said:
Nail on the head Lake. That is exactly what mine looks like.

View attachment 41284

Punch your dowel pins through before separating the case - :D

Your flywheel side will also be hosed from the excess radial movement, and you really should check your crank for run-out..

Nasty looking deposits inside the crankcase.

and one more thing - resize! like this, and inline

attachment.php

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Punch your dowel pins through before separating the case - :D

Your flywheel side will also be hosed from the excess radial movement, and you really should check your crank for run-out..

Nasty looking deposits inside the crankcase.

and one more thing - resize! like this, and inline

I didn't know the dowels would come out. It figures though I just got my service manual for the 064 today.

Starret V Blocks are on order.

Would a polished crank case help performance? :D

I'm doing good just to post the pics I have! I'm good as long as it has tracks, tires or @#%s but this computer is something else.

Smokin, I may have a 064 bottom end with some decent bearings in it. The crank is broken. Let me put my hands on it and maybe we can work on a deal. I kind of want the cases, but it might be an alternative to a set of $70+ bearings.

hautions11 said:
Smokin, I may have a 064 bottom end with some decent bearings in it. The crank is broken. Let me put my hands on it and maybe we can work on a deal. I kind of want the cases, but it might be an alternative to a set of $70+ bearings.

Thanks for your offer. I may eventually take you up on it but right now I'm searching for a 14x40 mm seal or suitable adapter to a more common size. If I can find that I won't be going back with stock bearings. Of course I may be off in left field again, but that's were I've always played! :greenchainsaw:

Well five months later and the saw is running! It took a combo of two saws (thanks again Hautions) and a good bit of spare time but I think it will be worth it.

I've got an air leak between the manifold and carb though. I can't figure out how this is supposed to be setup. When I tore the saw down there was a large ring that went around the carb studs and manifold lip with a metal ring that went in the center of the manifold. When I try to put it back together this way the outer ring compresses the rubber manifold too much to insert the center support ring. I'm at a loss on this.

My IPL has a gasket and spacer plate listed as well as the other parts but that wasn't on the saw when I tore it down. I've pulled the carb off my 066 mag and it is set up just as I have tried to do with the 064. Is it possible someone has tried to make 066 parts work on the 064? I've very confused after a long day of hunting were wolves.

Pics tomorrow iffn I have the time.

:greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

Well five months later and the saw is running! It took a combo of two saws (thanks again Hautions) and a good bit of spare time but I think it will be worth it.

I've got an air leak between the manifold and carb though. I can't figure out how this is supposed to be setup. When I tore the saw down there was a large ring that went around the carb studs and manifold lip with a metal ring that went in the center of the manifold. When I try to put it back together this way the outer ring compresses the rubber manifold too much to insert the center support ring. I'm at a loss on this.

My IPL has a gasket and spacer plate listed as well as the other parts but that wasn't on the saw when I tore it down. I've pulled the carb off my 066 mag and it is set up just as I have tried to do with the 064. Is it possible someone has tried to make 066 parts work on the 064? I've very confused after a long day of hunting were wolves.

There are two different versions of the manifold boot and tank... I ran into the same thing once before.... PITA..

Exactly what are the part numbers on your tank UPPER PORTION.. and manifold boot (use a magnifier to find the numbers on the boot...). The likely fix is that you need the "other" boot.

Last edited:
I'm thinking 1121 on the manifold and 1041 on the tank but it will be tomorrow before I can check it out.

Thanks Lake! At least I'm not going crazy. I got a manifold in the parts I got from Hautions, I don't know which one I put on. It was just the better of the two. D'oh.

SmokinDodge, I have a case of CRS........but the early 064 just used the
plate and gasket, Plate is a combo of the washer & sleeve used on the
later 064's............I think!

I put a new PC kit on my 064, bought a small lot of NOS 064 parts
on ebay. Their was a new 064 boot in the lot so I put it on the saw.
I the old 064 & 066 boot, 064 just has 1122 number on it, 066 has
1122/01 but also has 3158 above that.....don't know what that is
I can't really see any diff in the two..........but it's also way past my bed time

Last edited:
Ok here goes. I have an 1122-121-0100 carb housing (top of tank) Also with #'s DN 11496 on it.

The manifold is 1122-124

And the spacer ring that fits around the carb studs is an 1128.

While I'm at it might as well give ya a few pics of the progress.

P5010078.jpg

Here's the modded muffler tig'd by the best damn tig man in three counties. He charged me ten bucks!

P5010079.jpg

P5010080.jpg

P5010081.jpg

Latest posts

Back