064 ported hybrid with poly flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the flywheel from?

046/460 is a perfect match. You only need to trim about 1/16th inch from little thin rim on the backside for clearance against the case. I went way farther than necessary on this one and took it all the way down.
2016-03-24 12.31.04.jpg 2016-03-24 12.31.20.jpg

The coil could be recessed a little deeper to line up perfectly but it has excellent spark as it is. It doesn't use the original hole pattern but is close enough to get it confidently secure.
2016-03-24 12.29.42.jpg

I don't have an original 064 recoil cover so I had to double up a 660 base plate under the recoil wheel to make it reach the flywheel properly. Then I had to drill the hole in the 440/460 recoil wheel to fit the 066/660 anchor screw. I missed a NOS 064 recoil cover on eBay Sunday that sold for $45. That was very aggravating.
2016-03-24 12.30.10.jpg
I'm glad it holds up because this thing doesn't have a decomp button...which it really needs.

I was able to put it in the wood today to see how it runs. I ran a few cuts with a ripping chain and then decided to put the other chain on with about 35° grind. The second chain is a faster chain but the knots eliminated that advantage.
First clip is with ripping chain, second is the other.

I don't have another 660 put together at the moment to compare it to so I ran a few cuts with the 880 to see how it compares. I'd rather have larger wood for a better comparison.

My first big saw was an 064AV I got for 300 bucks. I did a clean up and used it for several years clearing land on weekends. I finally got rid of it as a MS660 came my way and I wanted an updated saw. I started to hate the fact that the 064 didn't have a Decomp Valve later in the day when I was tired. It was funny watching people about dislocate their arm trying to start it tho. And mine was a stock saw. I'm curious to know what the performance gains are and if you think it was worth it in the long run. My opinion after owning one was/is the 064 is a beast in original form. Great looking build man. Looking forward to seeing more about this saw.

I'm curious to know what the performance gains are and if you think it was worth it in the long run. My opinion after owning one was/is the 064 is a beast in original form. Great looking build man. Looking forward to seeing more about this saw.

Thanks,
I wasn't fortunate enough to get the saw as a runner before the build to know the exact amount it gained. It still needs a new piston, so it will be stronger when I get it. I've recently built a couple 660 work saws and wondered what one of those builds would be like on an 064 case. Is it worth it? For my purposes it is well worth it since I'm only doing it for the fun of it. The carb can still be modified and I didn't touch the transfer timing.

Edit: I should also mention that this entire project was inspired by @tree monkey 's hybrid build he did. His build is insane. Mine has a ways to go to catch his.

I've been running the wj35 carb until today when I put the wj69 on it. I'd say the 69 is noticeably better. I was really putting a load on it when recording this.

That 880 needs leaned out on the H side... It was painful to listen to it 4 stroking, LOL!. Better safe than sorry for break-in, however.

Looks pretty sporty.
I'd be a lot happier with myself if I could just get it done before dragging it around. I still haven't put it's own chain on. It's running one way too aggressive for trying to cut under load, and I'm still trying to decide which piston I want to replace this old worn one with. I left the transfers alone because I wanted to see how it ran like that before I get back into it to replace the piston. I'll be raising them accordingly when it comes back apart. That should take care of it letting me slow it down under load like that.

I'd be a lot happier with myself if I could just get it done before dragging it around. I still haven't put it's own chain on. It's running one way too aggressive for trying to cut under load, and I'm still trying to decide which piston I want to replace this old worn one with. I left the transfers alone because I wanted to see how it ran like that before I get back into it to replace the piston. I'll be raising them accordingly when it comes back apart. That should take care of it letting me slow it down under load like that.
They can be very strong,doesn't take much.

I tried a little experiment with the muffler on this thing. I added an extension which I guess can be considered a pipe on it which brings the muffler out about 1 1/4 inches. It seemed to make a pretty good difference in torque.
View attachment 498656

What is the deflector you used in the picture originally off of?

Chainsaw Jim- Did You try any other lengths for the muffler "header tube"?
Or was it logistics of parts on hand and a bit of gut level intuition?

I'm thinking the "header tube" looks to be made from the center part of another muffler?
Are the bolt spacer/tubes old piston pins?

My biggest reason for curiosity is finding any improvement in
the 6800 ~ 8200-ish rpm range for a backpack blower.
If a bit fab work to fit a pipe ahead of the muffler helps, Then I'm gonna be getting out the welder and fabrication tools.

So yea. I just picked up a junk 064 that needs a ton of work. This might be its future. I hope you don't mind me making a copy of your build.

Just remember the recoil mod is the most important thing. Or just stay stock on the flywheel as it will work just fine. The rest isn't beyond anything most would consider regular port work, well not exactly regular, but not insane with finger ports or any epoxies. The carb mod is an exception, though it is the factory carb for those models. WJ35 I think.

Latest posts

Back