Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Waiting on this:
stihl 064 av spares or repairs on eBay (end time 27-Jan-11 19:34:24 GMT)

On the face of it, its looks pretty straight, but i`ll see when it arrives.My son has taken an interest in fixing things so i struck while the irons hot.Should be a good project with a sound saw at the other end.
TBH i dont really need it, but by our standards its a good price if its as described.I have an 046 which suits my needs, but if i like it i`ll keep it otherwise i should make a few sovreigns on it.Leastways, i hope my lad enjoys working on it with me.
I`ll post some pics as i strip it down.

That looks like a later red light version but with an older metal air cleaner cover.

I was gonna buy that !!! I was thinking if rips the cord back in his hand will it not be the flywheel key thats sheared just a thought

Some 064s had the CDID ignition, but never had a Red Light that I'm aware of.

According to MediaCat the 064 and 066 upgraded to the same EY-V ignition module after machine number X31 067 164. End of 94'. The 064 upgraded from the CDIC which did not have an LED, whereas the 066 upgraded from the CDIC A which did. TI 51.1994.

I was gonna buy that !!! I was thinking if rips the cord back in his hand will it not be the flywheel key thats sheared just a thought

Nah, i recon its just the mechanism not disengaging.Planning on tearing it right down to the cases, but not splitting them, so i`ll soon find out.

You never know with older saws as parts can be replaced.
I have an 064 that I used a early 066 clear tank, non-limit coil,
new type bar studs, I also used a 13 roller big end rod bearing crank out of 066.

159725d1290909638-064-jpg

TT

Is the plastic air filter cover over a more efficient air filter upgrade or is the existing filtration adequate.

Is the plastic air filter cover over a more efficient air filter upgrade or is the existing filtration adequate.

Below is my 064 with flat filter, IMO the old filter is good enough.
I would rather spend the money on factory DP muffler cover before the
HD air filter. Also I like the looks of the old filter setup better than the HD setup.

Chain was on the dull side when video was taken.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/riD8yS8LtME?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/riD8yS8LtME?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/QUOTE]

Nice vid. I`d sooner stick with the filter i have so thats great. Cheers for the input.

Its arrived. First thing i did was to get the muffler off and check the piston. Looks kosher.
Shed was cold and untidy, wife was at work, so i stripped it in the kitchen.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/remmy597/012-1.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/remmy597/013.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/remmy597/015.jpg

What i did find was that the flywheel was marked around the circumference by the coil contacts, which probably accounts for the snatching of the pull cord.Underneath was oily, the clutch drum was gunked up with oil and wood dust. Havent dug into it though and packed up for the evening.

I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to replace this or that until you run the saw some. There may not be anything wrong with it. The way the 064's were timed with a fixed very advanced ignition they have a tendency to jerk the rope out of your hands if you don't yell BONZAI and get it all the way over. Lakeside commented on it in the past before he went on hiatus.

I used one for a few years and I may still have some finger meat on the handle wherever it is now.

One thing for sure, the diaphram hasn't got squat to do with it.

I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to replace this or that until you run the saw some. There may not be anything wrong with it. The way the 064's were timed with a fixed very advanced ignition they have a tendency to jerk the rope out of your hands if you don't yell BONZAI and get it all the way over. Lakeside commented on it in the past before he went on hiatus.

I used one for a few years and I may still have some finger meat on the handle wherever it is now.

One thing for sure, the diaphram hasn't got squat to do with it.

Yeah, knew it had nothing to do with the diaphram.Thought the pawls might need replacing but all of the recoil assembly is fine. TBH everything is looking fine apart from a lot of gunk. The oiler or its pipework is leaking definately so i`ll strip that out and check it.
Ebay buys are always risky but this looks like a simple strip, clean, and reassemble. Already decided its a keeper. No decompressor means its going to be hard on the hands anyway.

Looks like you got a real nice saw. Looks like its far from being really dirty. By my standards anyway. LOL It won't be bad to start. Just nudge it over slightly to find that sweet spot in the stroke and give it a yank. 064's are great saws.

You never know with older saws as parts can be replaced.
I have an 064 that I used a early 066 clear tank, non-limit coil,
new type bar studs, I also used a 13 roller big end rod bearing crank out of 066.

159725d1290909638-064-jpg

TT

That is a sweet looking saw you got there!

very good looking saw, you done good. the 064 is one of the last saws on my want list and i have 066.

What do you recon to this
014-1.jpg

A bend in the handle base.If you can make it out. Theres a crease across it. Bit of localised heat maybe. Not broken or cracked and its only cosmetic but it would be nice to get it straight.Would a hairdryer do it? dont want to apply too much and burn it.

ITs pretty well striped down to where i want it now. All cleaned up and ready for reassembly but having trouble with removing the clutch.
It needs to come off so i can get at the oiler as theres an oil leak coming from that area.Rope in the plug hole, turning it clockwise. Not budging. I`ve left it overnight with some penetrating oil soaking in.
Bit wary of using too much force, but its solid.Any tips? blow torch on it?

Cheers Guys.

Latest posts

Back