066 Carnage!!!! NOT for the weak at heart!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That baby is FUBAR'd. Thats a bad break man. Never seen one fly apart like that one though.
When I opened this thread, I figured the title was overexagerated, until I seen the pics. I would say the title is spot-on.

That sucks bro. Saw decided to commit suicide on you,to bad :frown: Now you got to choices part what is left or do a complete overhaul,I say overhaul her:msp_thumbsup:

Is the case actually cracked or is it just dented where the rod hit the deck? If it's not cracked, then it can be fixed with that Titanium putty from McMaster-Carr. The stuff is like $16/tube.

The cylinder looks like a stocker, and the piston looks OEM? So my vote, like the others, is a wrist pin circlip failure.

sorry to see it man! terrible loss! now that the autopsy is done, its time for the funeral. anyone want to say some kind words for the lost loved one?

If the rod had let go first, then I would expect that the top of the rod would still be sitting inside the piston. The rod has an indication that it was snapped sideways (see the torn piece on the side). I figure the piston let go on one side and that stressed the rod to snap.
Agree. Looks similar to the 066BB I blew up a year ago, except my rod merely bent, rather than broke.

When a piston fails and separates from the rod, pieces fly around, then the still-spinning crank goes TDC and rams the rod into the carnage.

I hate seeing this Alex. :msp_sad:

It sure is broke bad. I'd bet as a group we could round up the parts to fix it. :rock:

Small end rod failure, Separated on the up stroke, then threw the broken end through the piston skirt. Just my guess. I didn't see the small lines on the sides of the piston or cylinder that the clips leave behind when they fail.

Don't feel bad my last failure cost me about $4000 all that was left was the covers , carb and pipe.

I have seen this before, about 20 years ago one of dads 66 magnums destroyed itself very similarly, it was caused by a screw, either the one that holds the choke butterfly onto the shaft or the throttle butterfly, cant remember which, but it destroyed the engine just like yours. Guess it started a chain of sh*t events that were never gonna end well at WOT.

sorry to see it man! terrible loss! now that the autopsy is done, its time for the funeral. anyone want to say some kind words for the lost loved one?

It was a good saw, and died doing what it loved. It had a great life, and was loved by many, and will be missed. :angel:

I say, to hell with a funeral. Time to get it running again. Resurrect the beast! You have already been offered most of the main parts. Now you just have to rebuild it.

I do believe beringing it back to life would be a job though. Hopefully it didnt bend the crank.

I can honestly say I havent seen a saw come undone like that. I have an 044 that is close to that though. The muffler screw came loose an went down the muffler and into the piston.

Latest posts

Back