066 drives me nuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got a large box of 066 parts that were mismatched. The muffler problem has been solved. The ignition has been put into working order. Carburetor variations and choke linkages sorted out.
Now I got it running and decided to make it look better so ordered AM plastic. The part that holds the carburetor down is a large almost flat plastic piece. It is supposed to fit inside the box surrounding the carburetor. But it does not line up. I have three boxes that are all the same and will not line up. I have a fourth that is broken and lines up fine but the base will not line up on the fuel tank. Anyone else gone through this?

Yep. I took a file to one of them and corrected the fit. Annoying for sure. The other one was perfect.
The 1128 series AM plastics are even worse.

Is your tank the 660 style or an earlier 1122? There were several variations of the tank and air box through the runs of this series.
I’ve done a few 064-660 conversions using AM plastics to save cost (and use the clear fuel tank… which I like). It works if you use everything “660” from the intake on.

Keep looking through the box of parts until you find the OEM magnesium large almost flat bit with the built in filter holder and see if that fits the airbox of your tank.
You might be trying to fit the flat black plastic pre filter screen to an early flat top 064/066 tank and airbox.
And you thought the flywheel/coil combinations were fun! :laugh:

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

I have used several am plastics on various saws-no problems.

As have I, I am not abject to using cheaper cosmetics, have even used "their" front handles, you just dont want to yank on them too hard- but then if you are getting bars pinched and wrenching handles often......
Others try one or two items and pass judgement on the entire selection.

Probably all or most of the AM stuff is made in China and like us they have different people making their products, so naturally some of it will be better than others. Farmertech is probably their most known brand but I've found that they're not perfect either...

The answer - Stop buying cheap Chinese AM crap.
Here is your answer......... mind your own fing business! The problem is NOT the AM parts it is the different carb boxes used by Stihl. You just have to stick your nose under the tent, don't you Tom?

I got a large box of 066 parts that were mismatched. The muffler problem has been solved. The ignition has been put into working order. Carburetor variations and choke linkages sorted out.
Now I got it running and decided to make it look better so ordered AM plastic. The part that holds the carburetor down is a large almost flat plastic piece. It is supposed to fit inside the box surrounding the carburetor. But it does not line up. I have three boxes that are all the same and will not line up. I have a fourth that is broken and lines up fine but the base will not line up on the fuel tank. Anyone else gone through this?
I think you should bring the parts up to CA the next time there’s a GTG and give them to me! You’ve got too many saws as it is.
Here is your answer......... mind your own fing business! The problem is NOT the AM parts it is the different carb boxes used by Stihl. You just have to stick your nose under the tent, don't you Tom?
@rupedoggy what is the part number on the broken one that fits, the p/n on the tank, and the part numbers on the ones that don't fit? If you can figure that out I can figure out what tank style you have and try to track down a compatible box.

The way I understand it, you have three early 066 air boxes and one broken late (decomp cylinder) 066 or 660 air box that the part in question fits.
In order to use this part you need an unbroken 660 airbox and a 660 tank.
I think (but sure as heck do not know for sure) there is not an aftermarket part to replace the mag filter holder of the older 066 air box that I think you need to fit the existing tank and your three good air boxes. I do believe however there was an early flat mesh screen for the alternative filter system of the earlier 064/066 in OEM- but I cannot remember seeing one for a long time. Maybe someone with more than one AM carb experience can verify that?
Might be easier to ask here if anyone has a spare early 066 magnesium air filter holder for sale?

Because every thread needs photos......

image0 (18).jpeg

Left hand as you look- newer humpback top cover/decomp 066 with AM prefilter fitted. right hand older flat top 066 with magnesium filter holder fitted.

Not nice right? You and Bob do it to me and others on a daily basis on here. I’d actually like to get on with both you and Bob on this forum quite honestly, but any time I post you both can’t resist sticking your nose under the tent as you put it. So how about we all try and get along and drop the snide / low blow remarks and at the very least if that’s not possible, just don’t stick our noses in when we have nothing nice to say. It will be nicer for us all.. I actually use to get on with you both a few years ago, it’s a shame that changed. I was new and enthusiastic then which can be annoying and you two were intolerant of that which I get because it can be frustrating hearing the same old over and over.. So, how about we try and move forward and try and get on and turn over a new leaf.

DSCN2690.JPG
OK here is the mess for a picture. I will refer to the orange carb boxes as tops and the fuel tanks as tanks to avoid confusion. The top on far left is broken but accepts AM part fine. The tank it is next to is where it was bolted. The other two tanks have a different pattern and won't take the broken top. The AM part will not fit on the two right side tanks. I have to buy an unbroken type as on the left (never saw an 066 with primer bulb before), or the kind of air filter/ carb holder that fits the three on the right (one of which is a "red light" special)

If tank cap out near edge of starter 660 (wider).
If tank cap near where starter bolts to case 066 (narrower).

You can spot that in the photo I added above- the newer one probably is wearing a true 660 tank and airbox- just like rupedoggy's one, she is made from a box of parts.

OK here is the mess for a picture. I will refer to the orange carb boxes as tops and the fuel tanks as tanks to avoid confusion. The top on far left is broken but accepts AM part fine. The tank it is next to is where it was bolted. The other two tanks have a different pattern and won't take the broken top. The AM part will not fit on the two right side tanks. I have to buy an unbroken type as on the left (never saw an 066 with primer bulb before), or the kind of air filter/ carb holder that fits the three on the right (one of which is a "red light" special)

Looks like you have it pretty well sorted in your head. If it is any consolation the alloy part is available new old stock here for $80NZ, but what you typed is what you are going to have to do.
Mind you, that air box with the red diode is probably worth more on the open market than the rest of the parts on the table! :laugh:
Now lets all form a circle, hold hands and sing Kumbaya...... just in case anyone is feeling offended.

Latest posts

Back