066,ms660 refurb.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
Reaction score
i am looking at doing my first rebuild/refurb,i would like to do an 066/ms660. i want to do a complete refurb,split the case,professional repaint and all. i am will not be building this saw as one to sell,but a keeper. any help,tips,info would be greatly appreciated,the build will be documented w/pics as much as possible. i am looking for a decent project 066/660 to start with,anyone have any leads or know where one is at please pm me. thanks

Look through the threads here as they contain a lot of info and I'm sure I'd forget many steps if I tried to list out the process off the top of my head.

There are some tools you'll find very helpful and many of the threads mention them. Do a search for rebuilding Stihl saws and read the threads for other models of saw as it is basically the same for many of them.

Mr. HE:cool:

thanks guys for the input. i have been a diesel mech. my whole life,but have never had a saw completely torn down, never needed to. i figured i will probably have more $$ in it than a new one. just wanted to try something different,need a new challenge i guess. could just buy a good used one,and repaint too,who knows. i'll just keep looking til i find something.

to fix it right, you likely will have more in it than a new one. That's just the way it goes. That said, you're better off to buy a good running one that's in nice shape

Here's an example of a project I have, it's a mod project and I really don't care what I have in it.

Project saw $300
new berrings, gasket/seal kit, $100 buy the parts from Stihl, correct berrings and better quality seals

crank is bad, so a good one from my parts stock valued at $50

Cylinder, again from my parts stock but it takes $50 or more to get a good one

Piston, OEM $125 or Meteor $45 Wrist pin berring and new OEM pin, clips, $40

Fuel line, impulse line, intake manifold, filter, carb kit $80, $$ add up fast.

new elastostart cord $20

Now add up fixing stripped holes, running around, msc supplies and all the little parts that I forgot, buy a dual port cover, or a different handle bar, clutch cover, dawgs, and you can spend a bunch more. I had a nice wrap handle bar, flared clutch cover and big dawgs on hand or from other saws allong the way but I still had to buy them or they have value to sell.

It takes the right tools to split a case, or pull a flywheel, don't just go splitting the case beating it apart on the crank.

I know projects are fun, and we all have our own reasons. I wanted a 660 so I bought a brand new one for $900 west coast version. It was likely less than what I'll have in this one I'm working on. I've accumulated a couple other 066-660 saws from good running ones to project ones and a pile of parts, but the new one wasn't a bad deal.

I've got a few of these saws, and I should thin them out a bit and let one go. I'll kick it around a little and may advertise it. It's a good running late 066 mag, been well used, I bought it used with intentions of such a "refurb" project but it runs to well to mess with and we use it quite a bit. But I've got lots more saws and a new Dolmar 7900 that's a joy to run.

Last edited:
one other thing I have to take into account is that I have more work than I can get done, I pay help. Time I spend working on the saw is time I should be working on my own equipment or customer equipment and in turn hire less help.

The true cost of my saw projects......... I may as well buy a new one and send it to someone to mod. I'd be money ahead. But I do like to work on the saws, learn porting, timeing and phasing of cylinder operations, etc. I can't put a price on that. Though the money Scott charges me to mod a saw is so cheap in the end, intimidating up front cost but a deal in the end.

Today we cut down some red oad trees and cut up for firewood. It was a double tree about 4 ft x 6 ft at the stump. The 660 was ready to go, my project ones are not (no time to work on them) the mods I hired done to it is flawless and it puts a smile on your face to run it. I wanted my dad to drop the trees as they may be some of the biggest trees he ever cuts up and he's still in good shape to be able to do it. I love the saw and seeing someone else enjoy it also.

Last edited:
wow,i figured as much on the $$ end of things. not looking at buying another 660,as i already have a like new one that i got a good deal on. just wanted a project. maybe i should just stick to diesel work, and fine tuning local saws on the dyno???

Back