066 NWP BB kit from baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms290

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any body used it yet? its the 56x40 cylinder complete with piston rings and wrist pin. I just got an 066 with a chewed up slug and jug and am going to attempt my first rebuild and some modding while im there. Namely squish and muffler mod since i dont know how to port.

My 066 has a big bore installed. I think you'll enjoy it.

I have on one occasion ran a 660 and it was fun but it was SLOW. Maybe i was in too small a timber. Im going to go BB since its WAY cheaper than OE

I have on one occasion ran a 660 and it was fun but it was SLOW. Maybe i was in too small a timber. Im going to go BB since its WAY cheaper than OE

The biggest bar and chain in good shape I had at the time was 28" and I was bucking 30-some" sweet gum with it and it seemed unstoppable. I don't think the RPMs are as high as something like a 50-60cc saw, so if you're cutting something that a 50-60cc saw can handle, it might not seem that fast, but it cut just fine in the bigger wood.

Just recently parted with an 066 that had a big bore in it.

Man, that saw runs.

In smaller wood, running 3/8, I think an 8 pin would get through pretty quickly.

Had a 42" bar that went with the saw. Never ran it but I think a big bore, with a 7 pin rim, will be able to pull it just fine.
The fellow told me he would let me know how it works out.

Just recently parted with an 066 that had a big bore in it.

Man, that saw runs.

In smaller wood, running 3/8, I think an 8 pin would get through pretty quickly.

Had a 42" bar that went with the saw. Never ran it but I think a big bore, with a 7 pin rim, will be able to pull it just fine.
The fellow told me he would let me know how it works out.

I think for the bars I run, I could run an 8 pin, but it's running 3/8" 0.050 and 7 pin. I'm not racing or timing cuts.

Thanks

More good info here; thanks, guys. The 064 I picked up did not have a drive sprocket and I was wondering if I should go with a 7- or 8-pin to go with the 32-inch bar. I'll get a 7 first and maybe try the 8-tooth later on just for grins. I believe I'll go ahead and order my 066Bb kit from Bailey's today.

These thoughts are spread over 3 threads, but it's all good!

Olyeller

Is that to save wear on the bar and nose or is there another issue with running the larger rim on a standard size bar?

Personal preference here:

I don't care to run higher chain speeds (8 pin) and long bars, if the bar has to be buried; especially in hard wood. The potential for kickback is not worth it to me.

24" bars and shorter I will run with an an 8 pin, if the saw has enough grunt.

if the plating does not go all the way up the swirls what do you do?
The area swept by the rings needs to be plated. If not, send it back.

The last 2 NWP 066 jugs that I received did NOT have plating all the way to the top. One was too bad to use, the other just barely had enough plating.
attachment.php

Maybe I was just unlucky, but other AS members have posted pictures showing the same problem. If you peer up a new, unused bore and see a dark ring at the top, chances are that dark ring is missing plating, or worse.

The problem is not unique to NWP jugs. Some OEM jugs are just as bad.

Grande Dog is aware of the problem, so hopefully it will eventually cease to be an issue.

I run a 8 tooth and a 32" bar on my 064. It pulls it just fine. It's ported and muffler modded too. I'm not sure about others, but my 064 seems to have higher rpm's than the 066/660's i've cut with. I've got a spare 064 parts saw without a top end, i've been thinking of putting a BB kit on it.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back