066 stalls when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
No time to go to the shop. You guys are going to have to help me. My 066 stalls after it gets hot. Starts, runs well gets hot and stalls. Maybe 2 minutes. I tried to reajust the carb but I didn't fix it. I'm thinking that it is the adjustment. But quit trying after a few trys this afternoon. It was to humid today to keep pulling the cord over and over. I get back to it tommorow. Any help?

Usually a saw running well cold and then getting hot, dying and not restarting is diagnostic of an air leak. I just fought this battle with an 036. Could be bearing seals, possibly a cylinder/case leak. Anywhere that hot, expanding metal could open an air leak.

Jeff

could also be the coil. Next time it does it, pull the plug wire and check for spark.

Could also be a carb issue. Is it getting fuel when it stalls? Is it getting too much fuel? I doubt this would cause the saw to stall after it has been running fine. Honestly, sounds like an air leak or an ignition.

-Steve

Adrpk said:
No time to go to the shop. You guys are going to have to help me. My 066 stalls after it gets hot. Starts, runs well gets hot and stalls. Maybe 2 minutes. I tried to reajust the carb but I didn't fix it. I'm thinking that it is the adjustment. But quit trying after a few trys this afternoon. It was to humid today to keep pulling the cord over and over. I get back to it tommorow. Any help?

Check your tank vent. Easy yet, next time it stalls real good pop off the gas cap and put it back on and see if it still stalls within a few minutes. If it runs fine all the sudden and then heats up and stalls again, replace the tank vent.

DeanBrown3D said:
Is the vent in the cap? Can it be tested?

Vent sits up on top of the tank under the air cleaner off to the side. Its not in the cap. It can be tested by pumping some air into the fuel hose from the carb side with a gauge pump. The gauge should slowly go down if the vent is working. If it holds steady the vent is not working and should be replaced. A bad vent will cause the saw to merely run out of fuel completely because with out the vent working properly the carb can't get gas to it. The tank has to have air allowed in for gas to go out. Thats why sometimes if you pop off the gas cap and put it right back on the saw will striaghten up for abit and then start stalling again. Sure sign of a faulty vent.

Thank Gentlemen. Looks like more rain here today so I don't know if I will travel to my shop. Hence maybe Monday till I update. Hopefuuly it will be less humid.

Although your response is negative and no help to my problem I would like to add to a portion of it. I did do a couple of different searchs for my problem. Like '066 starts runs stall hot' and '066 stalls hot' but I didn't come up with any matches, anybody on that. Do you need to search for an exact title to get results?

coveredinsap said:
If I had a dollar for every one of these "my Stihl stalls when its hot" threads that I've seen in the past 3 months or so since I've been here, I'd have a nice little nest egg by now.

Anyways, the point is ....this seems to be the achilles heel of the high and mighty Stihl.

Sap everytime you open your mouth and say something bad about Stihl it makes there sales go up..LOL Your bad mouthing is a plus for marketing...LOL

Best part is your working for free..Most people laugh at what you say anyways..LOL

Last edited:
coveredinsap said:
If I had a dollar for every one of these "my Stihl stalls when its hot" threads that I've seen in the past 3 months or so since I've been here, I'd have a nice little nest egg by now.

Anyways, the point is ....this seems to be the achilles heel of the high and mighty Stihl.

Ha, Coming from a man thats too scared to even share his first name with those he expects to listen is hilarious. Same ole same ole from the man with no name.........

Adrpk said:
Although your response is negative and no help to my problem I would like to add to a portion of it. I did do a couple of different searchs for my problem. Like '066 starts runs stall hot' and '066 stalls hot' but I didn't come up with any matches, anybody on that. Do you need to search for an exact title to get results?

Rest assured he isn't going to say anything positive or try to help you with your problem. Thats the standard for him. Thanks for pointing that out, you caught onto him real quick.

THALL10326 said:
Vent sits up on top of the tank under the air cleaner off to the side. Its not in the cap. It can be tested by pumping some air into the fuel hose from the carb side with a gauge pump. The gauge should slowly go down if the vent is working. If it holds steady the vent is not working and should be replaced. A bad vent will cause the saw to merely run out of fuel completely because with out the vent working properly the carb can't get gas to it. The tank has to have air allowed in for gas to go out. Thats why sometimes if you pop off the gas cap and put it right back on the saw will striaghten up for abit and then start stalling again. Sure sign of a faulty vent.

I need to clarify Thalls comments.. Not knowing which 066 you have.. there are several types of vents over the 12 years or so of production. Some vent bi-directionally - air in and out (early models), and other just let in, not out (later models). The best test (simulating the carb use) is to use a vac guage and suck air out (just use the fuel line to the carb).

Make sure you have no fuel in the tank or filter or either test... don't ask why I say this... I've has some real squirter's in the past!!

Lakeside53 said:
I need to clarify Thalls comments.. Not knowing which 066 you have.. there are several types of vents over the 12 years or so of production. Some vent bi-directionally - air in and out (early models), and other just let in, not out (later models). The best test (simulating the carb use) is to use a vac guage and suck air out (just use the fuel line to the carb).

Make sure you have no fuel in the tank or filter or either test... don't ask why I say this... I've has some real squirter's in the past!!

Thanks Lake, you explained it better than me. Those vents can cause alot of problems few think of. Squirters you say, whatcha talking about Lake,lolol. I know exactly what your saying there, and fuel mix don't taste good.....

The saw ran great pre this running. I only used it for the two minutes when this happened. I put two cuts through a 36' oak trunk. That's all I needed it for. But answer me this, I clean my saws with a blower nozzle on my compressor. Could this have blown somehting into this vent? The saw did seem to hotter than usual.

Adrpk said:
The saw ran great pre this running. I only used it for the two minutes when this happened. I put two cuts through a 36' oak trunk. That's all I needed it for. But answer me this, I clean my saws with a blower nozzle on my compressor. Could this have blown somehting into this vent? The saw did seem to hotter than usual.

I doubt it... If your are worried about the heat, definitely check the venting because it causes the saw to run leaner and leaner until it quits... not good.

If that doesn't do it, pressure test the saw. Much cheaper than a new piston/cylinder. Check the obvious though - fuel filter (replace if not done in the last year) and use the larger high flow model from Stihl. Air filter? etc.

Adrpk said:

Hmmmm so your saying it only happeded this one time?, have you used the saw since it stalled to see if its still doing it??

BTW the saw is 2 years old. So it's a newer model.
Thall, yes when I got back to the shop I tried ajusting the carb. It had a lot of vibration and it wouldn't idle after it got hot. I tried and tried with the adjustment screws till I had no strength to pull the cord any more. The humidity was as bad as it get around these parts yesterday. I do have a new air filter but haven't replaced the fuel filter.

Adrpk said:
BTW the saw is 2 years old. So it's a newer model.
Thall, yes when I got back to the shop I tried ajusting the carb. It had a lot of vibration and it wouldn't idle after it got hot. I tried and tried with the adjustment screws till I had no strength to pull the cord any more. The humidity was as bad as it get around these parts yesterday. I do have a new air filter but haven't replaced the fuel filter.

Hmmmmmmmmm I'd be taking that muffler off since its only a few screws and having a look at the piston. Be good or bad that step is out the way and its only a 5 minute job. If its not scored go further, if it is the problem is found...............

Please don't tell me that. It already has a new pisotn cylinder. I was planning to slab this oak after I buck it so I am using a 38-1 mix. What would score the piston?

Adrpk said:
Please don't tell me that. It already has a new pisotn cylinder. I was planning to slab this oak after I buck it so I am using a 38-1 mix. What would score the piston?

I'm not saying its scored, I'm saying since its only a 5 minute job to pull the muffler and have a look. If the piston looks ok that step is out the way. If it is scored you know what the problem is, either way its only a 5 minute process to find out one way or the other.

Heat and too many RPM's will score a piston. A air leak will cause over reving and score a piston no matter if you just replaced the jug/piston yesterday. Carb set too lean will score a piston. There's alot of things that will score piston. Beleive it or not many a dull chain has scored many pistons because of over reving in the cut.

You say you have had the piston/cylinder replaced before but when you had it replaced did the shop or whoever replaced find out why it went kapoot. There is always a reason why they score and if that reason isn't corrected the new piston will fail as well due to the same reason.

Save yourself alot of headache and merely pull the muffler and have a look, you may well see a nice perfect piston in the exhaust port and if so then you can go into the saw further. I'm just saying since it so easy to do go ahead and get that step out the way....

Back