066, whats it worth??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I found a used 066 at the local dealer Saturday, they want 525.00 for it. I had them compression test for me in the shop today, it blew 90psi. So probably needs Piston/rings. It seems about right for the looks of it being a loggers saw, it's not really bad but it's not nice and shinny. Some problems I see right off were the chain adjuster seemed tough to tighten, and the clutch cover; upper hole for the outer dog was oblongated, and the outer dog is missing. It started good and idled, the chain is brand new and the bar(Stihl) is in good condition(36") with 33RSC. The plastic isn't cracked anywhere and it is a 066 not a 660. I don't have any pictures of it, but I rate the condition at a 6 out of 10 (10 being highest). So any ideas of it's worth?? Also it has an after market P&C on it already, an dI noticed it had a 8 pin sprocket with a 36" bar?? What should it have, 7??:confused:

I found a used 066 at the local dealer Saturday, they want 525.00 for it. I had them compression test for me in the shop today, it blew 90psi. So probably needs Piston/rings. It seems about right for the looks of it being a loggers saw, it's not really bad but it's not nice and shinny. Some problems I see right off were the chain adjuster seemed tough to tighten, and the clutch cover; upper hole for the outer dog was oblongated, and the outer dog is missing. It started good and idled, the chain is brand new and the bar(Stihl) is in good condition(36") with 33RSC. The plastic isn't cracked anywhere and it is a 066 not a 660. I don't have any pictures of it, but I rate the condition at a 6 out of 10 (10 being highest). So any ideas of it's worth?? Also it has an after market P&C on it already, an dI noticed it had a 8 pin sprocket with a 36" bar?? What should it have, 7??:confused:

I would pay around 200 for it. Unless you want an expensive project (close to the price of new), I would run far away from that saw.

The good thing about the 066 and 660 is jugs and pistons are relatively cheap if you are not afraid to take the time and put one together. As long as the bottom end is not messed up. $525.00 is way to much money for that saw. I would say around $200 to $300.00 but that would be about it.

Is it possible the compression tester was off to say 90psi and still run and idle good?

I would pay around 200 for it. Unless you want an expensive project (close to the price of new), I would run far away from that saw.

Really, I know it isn't worth the 525.00 they want but I figured it be worth more that 200.00, I'd love to get for that but I don't think that will happen.

Is it possible the compression tester was off to say 90psi and still run and idle good?

Maybe?? I did fire up within a few pulls and idled good. I noticed the cylinder didn't have a comp. release button on it or a place for it, any ideas of what aftermarket cylinder is on it??

according to the FAQ's at Bailey's for their 066BB it's got a decomp...

Way to much cash, 200 is the most I'd ever pay for a say in that condition. Start pricing OEM parts and you will soon be at the cost of a new saw.

For reference I picked this 066 up for 450, with 160psi of compression on the OEM P&C.

attachment.php

Edit: Early 066's didn't have decomp from the factory.

Last edited:
Way to much cash, 200 is the most I'd ever pay for a say in that condition. Start pricing OEM parts and you will soon be at the cost of a new saw.

For reference I picked this 066 up for 450, with 160psi of compression on the OEM P&C.

attachment.php

Nice saw!! Sounds like a good deal. Are you in Houghton lake?

Thanks, No Houghton way up in the UP.

If you don't need the saw your best bet is to hold out for a saw in good condition, nothing sucks more than sinking major cash into project and for the cash you have invested you could have got 4x the saw in the beginning.

Thanks, No Houghton way up in the UP.

If you don't need the saw your best bet is to hold out for a saw in good condition, nothing sucks more than sinking major cash into project and for the cash you have invested you could have got 4x the saw in the beginning.

No I don't need it at all, I originally thought that if someone was interested in it at wkpoors GTG saturday I'd bring it for them. The 7900 still puts a big grin on my face, no need for the 660 yet, though I have been interested in milling. Thanks for the advice, I'll offer 200 to them and see what they say:cheers:

Good observation. But I have a 025 that will start and idle with 85 psi, so it's not always a given that an extremely low-compression saw won't start and idle.

Take in another compression tester. Pull the muffler.

Even a stihl dealer wouldn't try to sell a 90 psi 066 for $525...

No decomp - just the very old (early 90's) model...

I wouldn't offer them $200 unless I first checked the bearings....

Last edited:
the dealer should sell on ebay those saws usally go over what i want to pay:mad:
I agree with everyone 200 -300 tops:agree2:

I would take it for 175 for a project

Last edited:
I second the notion on double checking the crank bearings/crank.

I bought three project saws, two of which have good cases/flywheels/bearings for $200, one of which was about 70% complete. One has either a bad crank, bad bearing, or a bad case...I'll probably just toss it or use to practice splitting cases with and expect I'll likely have to toss it.

I will have put around 300-400 bucks additional into just getting one complete before I'm all said and done (Probably around $550 total). The good news is most of the parts I'm buying are the wearing parts and will be new, but I also ran into a couple of unexpected things like an oil pump that was siezed, etc.

If all it needed was a piston and rings, $400 might be ok, but it's likely if it's seen that much use you'll need a few other parts to get her back into good condition.

It seems like with parts saws, either you buy a few of them to borrow parts from to make one good one, or plan on spending several hundred on new parts to rebuild it right.

I'm having alot of fun with mine though, seriously considering buying one more for round two...:D

Last edited:
Well I went against better judgement and picked the saw up a couple days back. It actually ran pretty good in the wood for having a 8 pin sprocket and a 36" bar. I comp. tested it at the shop after I bought and to my surprise it blew 155 psi, not sure what that was about when the dealer did it?? It worked in my favour so I don't care. I cleaned it up really good and it doesn't look to bad.
The dealer was wrong about it having a aftermarket P&C on it also, it was a Stihl cylinder and piston so I'm not sure why it doesn't have a decomp button on it. It has the pastic top cover for one but nada on the cylinder, did Stihl ever have a 066 without the decomp?? I'm thinking the plastic might be off of another saw, it looks okay cleaned up, I will have it at Bills GTG this saturday. I'm going tomorrow and picking up a couple little parts that are pissing me off, then it should be mechanically okay. BTW the crank bearings were fine in it, no slop at all nice and smooth. I think I did okay on this one.:greenchainsaw:

Well I went against better judgement and picked the saw up a couple days back. It actually ran pretty good in the wood for having a 8 pin sprocket and a 36" bar. I comp. tested it at the shop after I bought and to my surprise it blew 155 psi, not sure what that was about when the dealer did it?? It worked in my favour so I don't care. I cleaned it up really good and it doesn't look to bad.
The dealer was wrong about it having a aftermarket P&C on it also, it was a Stihl cylinder and piston so I'm not sure why it doesn't have a decomp button on it. It has the pastic top cover for one but nada on the cylinder, did Stihl ever have a 066 without the decomp?? I'm thinking the plastic might be off of another saw, it looks okay cleaned up, I will have it at Bills GTG this saturday. I'm going tomorrow and picking up a couple little parts that are pissing me off, then it should be mechanically okay. BTW the crank bearings were fine in it, no slop at all nice and smooth. I think I did okay on this one.:greenchainsaw:

Nice!

I think some of the very early 90's 066's came without a decomp valve. I've seen a few of them on ebay, some with solid top plastic too.

Seems like most of the folks around here don't use the decomp valves anyway. I decided to buy one rather than run a plug just so I can have it to try, but it's probably one of those luxury items.

Looks like you got a good one.:clap:

gink,
did you get him down a few beans?
how big was the wood you cut?
how did the 8 tooth effect the saw? easily bogged?
you will have a good time using that saw!:)

Latest posts

Back