075 overheating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macstrange

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all,
Been a while since my last visit. Hope everyone is well. I've been having issues with my 075 overheating. I've tweaked the carb, by ear, to the rich side. 1 1/4 turns out on the low, 1+ on the high. I'm running 40 to 1 but considering going back to 32 to 1. Running an E3.12 sparkplug with the dual contacts. 60" bar in eucalyptus. Does anyone have any insights?
Thanks a bunch.
Shawn

Sounds like you're working the hell out of your saw with a bar that long. Make sure your chain is sharp and the rakers are at the correct depth. You also might want to make sure the flywheel and cylinder fins are clean for proper air flow. You also might be running a tad lean on carb adjustments

I just sharpened the chain and mic'd every tooth. The saw over heated after 2 milling cuts about 34 inches long. It didn't stall at all but I let it idle between cuts and after last cut. I let saw run under its own weight, even lifting a little to ease work load. Chain is full chisel skip.

shawn

Btw, after I shut it down I could hear a crackling noise so I took fuel cap off and fuel was boiling. I blew out fins a d such yesterday.

shawn

You are turning your saw on it's side to mill? The gas tank rest directly above the cylinder when you do this. If you can turn the saw over and run it the other way then it won't be cooking your gas tank so bad.

You are turning your saw on it's side to mill? The gas tank rest directly above the cylinder when you do this. If you can turn the saw over and run it the other way then it won't be cooking your gas tank so bad.
Wow, never thought of that. In this case though, the log was standing on end and I was squaring it up. I'll have to try your idea though. Thanks

shawn

at the time Stihl specifies 40:1 with the Stihl oil of the day and 25:1 with anything else, with the EPA tightening of the oiliness of oil I am guessing that saw wants 25:1 with nearly any oil
and max bar length was specified as 90cm (36"), so milling with a 60" in 100 degree plus heat with not much oil, yeah I bet she is hot :)
DDave

Since you live in a major city you could always pull the jug and have it anodized flat black, then it would really radiate the heat. Protect your carb and fuel tank with insulated tape that you can use to line the areas where radiated and direct heat impinge on any part you want to protect.

At 109* it doesn't matter which way your saw is turned, you'll boil the fuel on extended cuts. Spark plug could be wrong heat range? I'd run NGK or Bosch like said above.
I think your right. I noticed it doesn't boil until a few minutes after shut down when air is no longer being circulated.

shawn

at the time Stihl specifies 40:1 with the Stihl oil of the day and 25:1 with anything else, with the EPA tightening of the oiliness of oil I am guessing that saw wants 25:1 with nearly any oil
and max bar length was specified as 90cm (36"), so milling with a 60" in 100 degree plus heat with not much oil, yeah I bet she is hot :)
DDave
I think I read 32:1 in online owners manual. Acres Internet puts it at 40:1.

shawn

I think your right. I noticed it doesn't boil until a few minutes after shut down when air is no longer being circulated.

shawn
Ps. I've run it plenty in cooler weather with no issues. I guess it's just the heat.

shawn

Back