076 very sad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texx

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i finally got to use my 076 today after 18 months of sitting in the shed , it went very well for about 5 minutes, it was cutting through a big dry old river red gum ( read very hard ) like it was balsa wood then bang all hell broke loose and a small fire in the grass next to me where some of the clutch bits landed ,never did find the nut .
now why would this happen surely the nut should not be able to screw off while running :mad::cry::cry:
now i will be looking for a complete new clutch and cover ,and a reason why this can happen .

****, that is bad. :cry:
attachment.php

Is the clutch coming loose on those saws common? I remember seeing more than one with a perfect circle cut through the clutch cover.

i finally got to use my 076 today after 18 months of sitting in the shed , it went very well for about 5 minutes, it was cutting through a big dry old river red gum ( read very hard ) like it was balsa wood then bang all hell broke loose and a small fire in the grass next to me where some of the clutch bits landed ,never did find the nut .
now why would this happen surely the nut should not be able to screw off while running :mad::cry::cry:
now i will be looking for a complete new clutch and cover ,and a reason why this can happen .

That is a major bummer.
From the looks of the dark area on the clutch cover around the hole it got really hot before it blew.
Could your sprocket (or clutch drum) have seized on the crankshaft due to a bad needle cage?

Last edited:
**** is right!

man, thhat looks like a big mess. I can't figure out what would have happened to cause that either. It came on out of there though did'nt it? I have never seen one do that before.

Now that I think about it more I doubt its the sprocket seizing.
But for some reason your clutch got really, really hot.
I assume if it got hot enough it could force the nut off the threads.

Are the threads striped?

nope the threads on the shaft are fine no probs there but on the nut i will never know cos it left the scene at a great rate of knots and i never found it .
the clutch did make the cover hot when i first bench ran the saw 18 months ago but i cant remember why it did that, but i thought i fixed it :dizzy:maybe i never ,
just cant put my finger on what would cause the whole chain of events .

if it was rubbing that should make it go on tighter no? or do I have my lefty tighty righty loosy reverse clutch threads inside out and back arsewards....my brain can't do it now. will attempt it in AM

if it was rubbing that should make it go on tighter no? or do I have my lefty tighty righty loosy reverse clutch threads inside out and back arsewards....my brain can't do it now. will attempt it in AM

thats exactly what i thought too if it was not tight enough it would tighten its self maybe i is wrong i will check it out as soon as i get the chance , but right now i have to go unload some wood from the back of the toyota ( luckily i had my trusty old never fail 034 farm boss with me ) then i have some pens to make on my lathe so they can go to the engravers .

The clutch spider never came loose, just the nut. That allowed the washer to come off, and eventually the clutch shoes worked there way off the spider. The side cover held the shoes halfway on until they wore through and caught. Then BANG, and you have what we see in your picture.

sounds like the drum may have gotten really hot and started to bell mouth so the open side widened up and the extra taper allowed it to walk itself into the clutch cover and when the nut let loose the whole works walked out with the clutch

The clutch spider never came loose, just the nut. That allowed the washer to come off, and eventually the clutch shoes worked there way off the spider. The side cover held the shoes halfway on until they wore through and caught. Then BANG, and you have what we see in your picture.

:agree2: Sounds like the scenario to me!:cheers:

:agree2::agree2:

+1 ! Just remember if you torqued that nut like it should last time you replaced that sprocket... :poke:

Latest posts

Back