08' Fire Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why put a piece of the notch back? was that to control fall direction

Could not tell in the video, but that tree leaned up the hill hard. I put a piece of the undercut on the up hill of the face so that the tree would sit on it when going over and despite the lean, with suffucient holding wood on the downhill side, it would land where it was faced.
I was not able to make my face (direction) lower, becuase the lean was too strong, so I did what I did. Hit exactly where I told my partners it was going, there was a main paved road right up above us, kinda a challenging situation.

Could not tell in the video, but that tree leaned up the hill hard. I put a piece of the undercut on the up hill of the face so that the tree would sit on it when going over and despite the lean, with suffucient holding wood on the downhill side, it would land where it was faced.
I was not able to make my face (direction) lower, becuase the lean was too strong, so I did what I did. Hit exactly where I told my partners it was going, there was a main paved road right up above us, kinda a challenging situation.

I subscribe to your Youtube Channel, and had my bro (in town for T-giving) watch it with me. When you put that wedge back in the cut, I poked at my bro and said, "CRAP! He's using that for a quick Dutchman!!" That's one of those 'why didn't I think of that?' things. All the fancy Dutchmans' I've seen in the woods, were always carefully cut into the face... I've observed a lot of different techniques... Yours is K.I.S.S... Keep it simple stupid.

Great video!! :cheers: :cheers:

good video as always

that sure was a hard lean in on that first tree

you did good :cheers: :cheers:

I subscribe to your Youtube Channel, and had my bro (in town for T-giving) watch it with me. When you put that wedge back in the cut, I poked at my bro and said, "CRAP! He's using that for a quick Dutchman!!" That's one of those 'why didn't I think of that?' things. All the fancy Dutchmans' I've seen in the woods, were always carefully cut into the face... I've observed a lot of different techniques... Yours is K.I.S.S... Keep it simple stupid.

Great video!! :cheers: :cheers:

Actually, my version of a dutchman is sawing a shelf for the weight to distribute itself on while the momentum of the tree carries itself into the face.

What you saw, was simply chopping out a chunk of under cut and putting in the face, been doing for years when the situation calls for it, but usually on the downhill side when I make my undercut to wide or have to compensate for a lean or bellie in the tree.

That's what I figured...It looked like you were cutting under the lean in the video. Cause of bad ground? Sometimes that piece can stop a low-side from sitting down all the way in the cut before your finished, especially on heavy trees.

Actually, my version of a dutchman is sawing a shelf for the weight to distribute itself on while the momentum of the tree carries itself into the face.

What you saw, was simply chopping out a chunk of under cut and putting in the face, been doing for years when the situation calls for it, but usually on the downhill side when I make my undercut to wide or have to compensate for a lean or bellie in the tree.

I've seen the shelf cut... Had an Ol' sawyer show me another one... Cut traditional face, but shallow(er) on the side you want to fall away from... On the opposite side put a saw kerf an inch below the flat of the wedge... The tree settles to that side while falling, and the 'ledge' breaks away to accelerate the tree in that direction... It's harder to explain than it is to cut lol.

It worked awesome when he showed it to me.

Back