084 Troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, are you ever in trouble. I'm afraid I just promoted you to the next level of CAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've done some play-by-play mods to my 460 and 260 a while back. Check my old threads.

Just wait until you run a good woods ported 084. It takes real effort to stop a 36" full comp chain in hardwood. I made the mistake of running Cut4Fun's and you see what happened to me. Let's just put it like this. It's addictive power!!

O Gawd. I am sunk>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:jawdrop:

My name is John. I have 15 chainsaws. I live in town, and need maybe 3 saws. I am a hopeless CADDICT
maybe it is 14. More than I have fingers, any way.

Step 1. We admitted...................the Preciousss is mine.....we love the Preciousss... o well youve heard it before ooohhh..the Precioussss is shaved...............(uhh.. that's cylinders, just so you know...lol)
:chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
looking for compression #'s on the 084AV, buds having trouble with his, idles and accelerates fine but when you lean on it in the cut you can stop the chain. Neither of us are mechanics (shade tree yes) so we started with compression and 130 is all we could get. He did have the jug off and said everything looked fine to him inside, piston, rings cyl walls all looked good. New head gasket. 130 sounds low but thats why I'm asking.

Tom

Is your clutch slipping? Be a shame to tear into the whole saw if it was just your clutch was toasted.

Mark

O Gawd. I am sunk>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:jawdrop:

My name is John. I have 15 chainsaws. I live in town, and need maybe 3 saws. I am a hopeless CADDICT
maybe it is 14. More than I have fingers, any way.

Step 1. We admitted...................the Preciousss is mine.....we love the Preciousss... o well youve heard it before ooohhh..the Precioussss is shaved...............(uhh.. that's cylinders, just so you know...lol)
:chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

John,

I like my chainsaws too. But good grief man, you need to get out a little more. Go to a tavern or a honkey-tonk. Play the juke box, drink a cold one, hit on some pretty woman and dance a little. Your faithful saws will await your return. If you are worried, some fine AS member will come over and watch your saws.

dr. joat

John,

I like my chainsaws too. But good grief man, you need to get out a little more. Go to a tavern or a honkey-tonk. Play the juke box, drink a cold one, hit on some pretty woman and dance a little. Your faithful saws will await your return. If you are worried, some fine AS member will come over and watch your saws.

dr. joat

Well put.....good ol' dr. joat

John,

dr. joat

:hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

Thanks, Doc! Hyperbole is my thing. Just because I have more saws than fingers doesn't mean i have CAD or anything like that LOL

I bet my posts make all y'all laugh, or at least chuckle, and that is the point. That Gollum character is the personification of addicted obsession.

If you want a real laugh, google James Olds' 1956 pleasure center research on rats. There is a parallel for you. I work with crackheads and gangsters all day, so I need a litlle (OK a LOT) of comic relief.

:greenchainsaw:

:hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

Thanks, Doc! Hyperbole is my thing. Just because I have more saws than fingers doesn't mean i have CAD or anything like that LOL

I bet my posts make all y'all laugh, or at least chuckle, and that is the point. That Gollum character is the personification of addicted obsession.

If you want a real laugh, google James Olds' 1956 pleasure center research on rats. There is a parallel for you. I work with crackheads and gangsters all day, so I need a litlle (OK a LOT) of comic relief.

:greenchainsaw:

Well, why didn't you just say you worked with ole Woodie?

Well, why didn't you just say you worked with ole Woodie?

Who dat?

Hey if youse guys wants an 084 cheap, check this out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/084-STIHL-CHAIN...ryZ79669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
As always, caveat emptor. thats latin fer let the buyer bee wear or be where he wants to be or what ever it is. I remember the fuss about 084s a while back,and well, I have my quota already

I think Woody may be the one who only leaves his enclosure 1 hour a day LOL
He doesn't get to come to class for behavioral reasons :jawdrop:

John,

dr. joat

Aw, yer jest jealous cuz I got the Preciousssss!!!

nyah nyah na na nah

hehehehehheee its all mine heheheheeee:greenchainsaw:

you guys need to be carefull... I just pulled down an 084 to find an "oil leak"....

Hmmm.... One of the oil pump arms had become disconnected and slowly moved "out". as it did... it milled a 3/4 inch deep groove 1/16th inch wide all around the casing surrounding the clutch drum... basically disconnecting the case side from the crank case...

Clutch drum was toast, clutch toast, brake tost, oil pump drive toast, case toast.. oh,, pisiton and cylinder are scored (toast) and the wrap handle is broken (toast)...

But it ran!

Handed it back in a box... might end up on ebay "084, starts, runs, leaks oil - as is" lololol

Last edited:
Is your clutch slipping? Be a shame to tear into the whole saw if it was just your clutch was toasted.

Mark

I failed to mention in my post that when I said stop the chain I meant you can actually bog the saw down and that is with minimal pressure, it just ran out of grunt. If there were clutch issues the motor would still rev? I ask because he did install a used clutch from fleabay, the drum looks fine.

We located another tester, short rubber tipped one with a schrader valve at the business end, we got 120psi every try. Bud has a manual on the way for the saw, he located an oem piston and rings for a good price. As far as gasket thickness he only remembers it was oem from the dealer for that saw. We broke down the carb and cleaned it all up, retuned it to factory H 1TO and L 1TO and idle, saw seems to accelerate good and idle nice. Piston/rings a step in the right direction?

yep.... 120 sucks....

Ignore all the noise about mods, squish etc.. just put in a new 0.5mm OEM gasket, piston and rings..

Whoa teacherman, hyperbole, personification? I feel like I'm still in my classroom. Why don't we throw in some irony, symbolism, setting, conflict, characterization, and character development to just for giggles?:jester:

Lakeside53 yep.... 120 sucks....

Ignore all the noise about mods, squish etc.. just put in a new 0.5mm OEM gasket, piston and rings..

Good Deal, thanks Lakeside.

you guys need to be carefull... I just pulled down an 084 to find an "oil leak"....

Hmmm.... One of the oil pump arms had become disconnected and slowly moved "out". as it did... it milled a 3/4 inch deep groove 1/16th inch wide all around the casing surrounding the clutch drum... basically disconnecting the case side from the crank case...

Clutch drum was toast, clutch toast, brake tost, oil pump drive toast, case toast.. oh,, pisiton and cylinder are scored (toast) and the wrap handle is broken (toast)...

But it ran!

I had a ? on these oil pump "arms". are they the U shaped springs that go under the removable bracket? My drive rim on a 084 is not catching these (too short) so I am assuming they are broke off. And are they still available?

yep, looks like the spur is NLA...

Springs - 1124 642 0900 - 90 cents
Retainer - 1124 642 1400 - $8.40...

HOWEVER.... I have had problems with replacement retainders fitting some early spurs...

If your spur is toast or you have problems with the new retainers, you need to upgrade the spur AND the clutch drum with the later type.

i removed the base gasket, 175lbs of compressions, yes it was hard to get reading with that much compression and big 60mm piston. kept yanking the saw off the ground. this is with a new piston and rings

my decompression release is screwing up. i dont use it(now). id recomend you didnt touch it, it could cause low compression readings

Latest posts

Back