088 good deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloch24

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought a Stihl 088 that starts and runs very well.. however, the clutch cover is broken (covers all but the very bottom), the chain brake handle is cracked, the air filter is shot, the outside (clutch cover) spike is missing, the elasto-start handle is broke, retied, and now short.

What would ya'all pay for this saw.. it's dirty, not the prettiest saw, but it started right up. I pulled the plug, I didn't see any scarring on the cylinder walls (yet, I haven't taken time to pull the muffler). It looks like the guy was using used motor oil for bar oil. Also, all of the plastic is discolored... weather it be faded from the sun (orange), or just plain covered in filth (white).

It came with a 41" bar, but the roller nose is loose, also the rim sprocket needs to be replaced. It also has a full skip full chisel chain on it that looks like it's almost new.

That's about it, just wondering what any of you would have paid for this saw having found it in that condition...

Also, I don't see a whole lot of used parts for it on ebay.. how hard is it going to be to find a clutch cover and chain brake handle?

Thanks!

just wondering what any of you would have paid for this saw having found it in that condition...

$200 if I got to run it first. If it looks like $hit, you can bet it has been treated worse.

I bet I could get $600 for it locally... maybe $800 if it ran strong... $900 if cleaned up with nothing broken.

Of course, I wouldn't pay more than $375 for it "as is", but that's what it's like when you stand on the other side of the counter;)

Okay... that's about what I was thinking... looks like I did okay.... any idea what the clutch cover and chain brake handle will cost?

The cover is around $72; the brake handle $50... welcome to expensive saws...

Check your clutch drum (woblbe?) and bearing (dry and beat up?)

How about model information... This saw looks like it sat in a truck for a while, day after day because the orange is all faded. All of the name badges are also faded/rubbed out. I can make out the top plate "Stihl 088" in shadow, but I don't know if it's a magnum, if that makes a difference. Also, how do I find out the age of the saw... It has the old style fill caps, but that's about the only thing that I see different about it.

post the serial number for age....

I'll have to get the number off the saw when I get a few minutes to look it over... The serial number is on the clutch side of the saw just under the chain brake handle stamped in the case, right?

Dang..

I was out there tonight, took off the covers and blew the thing out.. cleaned it up a little. The top AV mount is broken, doesn't LOOK too expensive to replace... I was going to TIG weld the bracket, but it looks like the mount is made with the rubber attached, and the rubber came off of mine... So...

I bet I worked on cleaning it for 1/2 an hour, but I never took the clutch cover back off, so I didn't even THINK about the serial number... I'll post it tomorrow (if I remember)..

The saw starts and runs great.. idles good, revs good.. I can't wait to get it in some wood and try it out... I'm a little worried about the bar tho, it's a 41" bar, but when you sight down the length of it, it's got a slight bow in it. nothing drastic, when I set it down on the floor, there was about 1/8" gap in the center, but then again, the floor may not be perfect. When I get done with another project of mine that's sitting on my welding table, I'll check it on a 1" thick plate. Is a LITTLE bow in a bar that long acceptable? It's a .404 .063 bar and sprocket running a full skip chain. When I bought it it tracked fine, but the chain was loose, so I didn't run if for very long.. just long enough to hear what it sounded like.

Was at an auction last Sat. saw an 088 with 36" bar and 404 chain go for $750.00. I picked up a 394xp for $300.00 was kind of the black sheep amongst the 4 Stihl saws.

Latest posts

Back