Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be very careful tuning .. a lot of the 088 have limited coils also... I have one... about the same age as yours.
Quote by Lakeside53:The manual assumes the CARB limiters are in place. The coil will limit about 12,250.. but... it's not a clean transition.

The WOT is set to 11,500 via the carb to avoid the ignition limiter. Remember.. . this is just a SWAG for any given bar length... etc. It will leave the saw slightly rich, but that's just fine for most uses. And 500 rpm is meaningless in real terms.

Don't mess with the H screw unless you really understand how the limiter works....

attachment.php

so.....? Am I missing something?

That's the tuning guide to miss the limiter... Notice there's nothing about tuning by ear; mod the muffler - you're on your own;)

Last edited:
No, but I think I am.:D
If I tach mine what rpm do I want to see? Can you tell when yours hits the limiter?

if you have a limited coil you want to see 11,500! much above that.. the tach first gets unreliable then goes to heck. I can see up to about 11,800 on mine.

If you don't have a limiter you still want to see 11,500...

If you're moding and racing, do whatever you want.. but detune it before using it in real wood.. Pistons have a habit of melting on the top near the exhaust side..

Last edited:
That 088 is one bad lookin saw. Lakeside your selling your rebuilt 084? why don't you keep it? Oh and there is no way I could have taken pics before ripping off that plastic.

Last edited:
Back