090 handle hose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed the last question there Brian, the shrink wrap is of a large enough size to easily slip[ over the handlebar, it was 1" or very close to that and I manage to get 2 layers on my 041 that had a rotted hose on it, just shop rot as the saw had not been run for even one hour. The shrink wrap was sent to me by another member who would like to remain un named. It turned out really nice and although I do not run that saw, it is actually still in it`s original case from Stihl , the covering looks great, it feels good and would not slip around on the handle, it shrinks very tightly. This type of shrink tubing is available from electrical supply houses and may even be found online, it would be very resistant to fuel and oil and I would also think it would fare out well exposed to UV as it is used for repairs to heavy electrical cables. I can take some picts of the saw I have used it on but I did not take picts of the actual procedure when I did that job 3-4 years ago.
I have been using the handle bar hose from Stihl for all my recent projects.
Pioneerguy600

I am a lineman for a power comp and have access to all sizes of shrink tube. I used shrink tube on my 090. It works well and goes on very easy but is not very good for a saw ur going to work with. It becomes very hard and britle after it shrinks, I had to cut one off because I bumped it hard on something and it split. Its great for a show piece. James

Last edited:
That is good to know James,..thanks for the info. I had a little aprehension about using it on work saws but I did not have any real life references to compare it with. I only used it once on a showpiece as you stated. On all my work saws I am replacing the covers with the Stihl handle hose, it was designed especially for use on chainsaw handles so I figured it would be about the best stuff around.
Pioneerguy600

I have a 090 that the handle is cracking and I was thinking about just putting heat shrink over it but havent decided yet. It works well on split or cracked axe handles but if you over swing and hit wood it will just break and peal.

Nothing better than the OEM stuff but its a difficult job getting it on even with the air. I have managed to do 4 different saw handles with the OEM hose but it was a battle worth doing.

Sure wish the pics of the air attachment were still showing in this thread..

I can post pics of the required pipe nipple, air chuck quick connect, adapters and clamps later on today or tomorrow.

Dish soap & water mix makes a good lubricant. Compressor regulator is backed way off to 10-15 psi to start.

A roll of Stihl OEM handle tubing is what I like to use, or at least a "tag end" of a foot longer than is required, so you can attach the pipe nipple and have something to push against.

A tubing cutter gives you a perfect end cut when you have the tubing slipped on to where you want it. Lightly score it with the tubing cutter, then finish with a box knife.

It's a chore, like Pioneerguy600 ssid, and you'll only do two full wrap Stihl 056 handles back to back, as your hands & forearms are beat.

But the end result is worth it, looks like new.

I can post pics of the required pipe nipple, air chuck quick connect, adapters and clamps later on today or tomorrow.

Dish soap & water mix makes a good lubricant. Compressor regulator is backed way off to 10-15 psi to start.

A roll of Stihl OEM handle tubing is what I like to use, or at least a "tag end" of a foot longer than is required, so you can attach the pipe nipple and have something to push against.

A tubing cutter gives you a perfect end cut when you have the tubing slipped on to where you want it. Lightly score it with the tubing cutter, then finish with a box knife.

It's a chore, like Pioneerguy600 ssid, and you'll only do two full wrap Stihl 056 handles back to back, as your hands & forearms are beat.

Yes, I even had a good strong friend helping me, both our hands were beat by the time we did two handles, the soap does help a good deal but not so much once it gets on your hands,and it will.

That would be great if you could get some pics on here. BTW, after I posted my initial reply for the missing pics, I found a similar thread by Mastermind on How to Install Stihl Handle Hose. I don't know how to include a link here.
He did a great job. Still, more is better to see different ideas to look at, if you have the time. Happy Holidays to all on AS Site. I spend time here more than any other saw site.

Use afro-sheen hair spray; that's what bike shops use to get rubber grips on handlebars. The spray dissipates after installation. I operated the air hose with my foot, as suggested, and wrestled the wrap on the bar. Gotta work quick before the hairspray evaporates.

The brass fitting is just an 1/8" npt female to a 1/2" mpt. I put a quick connect in it to simply connect to the compressir's air hose. A hose clamp seals it off.

The other crap, i.e. foam rubber, heat shrink, golf club tape, etc. won't last like the rolls of OEM Stihl tubing for day in & out abuse of a work saw. Use that stuff for a shelf queen saw.

It also fits the older Poulan saw handles perfectly.

image.jpeg

The brass fitting is just an 1/8" npt female to a 1/2" mpt. I put a quick connect in it to simply connect to the compressir's air hose. A hose clamp seals it off.

The other crap, i.e. foam rubber, heat shrink, golf club tape, etc. won't last like the rolls of OEM Stihl tubing for day in & out abuse of a work saw. Use that stuff for a shelf queen saw.

It also fits the older Poulan saw handles perfectly.

View attachment 546110
Thanks Hotshot for details on this. This should help me a lot. Happy Holidays.

FYI, I did some searching and found a Stihl handle bar hose in 21mm/ 0.827" ID., part# 0000-791-2008. Can get it in 5m lengths. I hadn't seen this listed anywhere yet. Not sure what size saws or other power tools would use this size vs. 19mm and 23mm. Just wanted to share this for others.

Latest posts

Back