1/3 Diameter Notch Rule

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notches and hingewood

"Smokechase sorry I didn't explain myself a little better there in my last post, I didn't mean for you or anyone else to blow a head gasket responding to it. Like I said earlier I could go on and on about notches and hingewood , but the way this thread was going I didn't think it was needed anyway, but it sure turned your light bulb on upstairs though eh?"

--------------

Sorry for the excitement.
But do go on about notches and hingewood.
Specifically:
Did you mean to say: 'Softwood trees support themselves primarily with compression wood. Hardwood trees primarily use tension wood for anchor support?'
I'm not sure if this is a simple grammar correction/omission or a philosophical wood matrix doctoral paper that is revolutionary and like Einstein’s theory of relativity, where there were no prior scholarly works to cite, hence it stands alone.

------------------

In any case your tree size experience fits well in my previous thesis in this thread that shallow faces are generally acceptable when there is less force to overcome. See post 59; slide two.

-----------------

In regard to weed eating and falling.
A 10 inch tree presents plenty of difficulty and threat to life span. So I regret others disparaging remarks about size mattering.

Math and the Sierra Club

[I"2,000,000 trees in 20 years works out to 100,000 trees per year. That means 2,000 trees a week for 50 weeks. That means 400 trees per day. Wow! That means 50 trees per hour! You are a stud! You should have your own series on History. Heck you have to be a multi millionaire by now just by gross scale."

Allowing for Credit hours.
No holidays and a boy to fill the saw and file the back-up saw.
Inclusion of 1" diameter saplings, (The small end was not specified).
Domino falling, (The number of trees felled by one backcut was not specified).

-----------------

In any case, I believe that while my trees dropped does not even remotely reach 100,000. My total boomage is of some merit.

I wish to boldly state, realizing full well that this will generate some new level of calculus on this thread, that my total boomage is 1 x 10 (23rd) decibels. Perhaps you've heard of my work?

Quote from Smoke'"
I wish to boldly state, realizing full well that this will generate some new level of calculus on this thread, that my total boomage is 1 x 10 (23rd) decibels. Perhaps you've heard of my work?"

Yes, I have heard it, ears still ringing.

Ray

[I"2,000,000 trees in 20 years works out to 100,000 trees per year. That means 2,000 trees a week for 50 weeks. That means 400 trees per day. Wow! That means 50 trees per hour! You are a stud! You should have your own series on History. Heck you have to be a multi millionaire by now just by gross scale."

Allowing for Credit hours.
No holidays and a boy to fill the saw and file the back-up saw.
Inclusion of 1" diameter saplings, (The small end was not specified).
Domino falling, (The number of trees felled by one backcut was not specified).

-----------------

In any case, I believe that while my trees dropped does not even remotely reach 100,000. My total boomage is of some merit.

I wish to boldly state, realizing full well that this will generate some new level of calculus on this thread, that my total boomage is 1 x 10 (23rd) decibels. Perhaps you've heard of my work?

Yes I have heard of your boomage though I spell it bit differently. :) :spam:

I think I have seen a video of you domino falling 1" trees, point of entry. Very dangerous! Please be careful so you can keep posting here.

Last edited:
Funny, I played with the old McCulloch today, thing gets me through plugs and muffs.....HUH?

HolmenTree = Paul Bunyan

bunyan.jpg

Last edited:
Yup...gotta agree. Ekka, with his experience and knowledge, could have helped this guy. Instead, he chose to display his immaturity and shameful lack of humanity.

Hey Ekka...if the guy has a legitimate question, why not just answer it? If he argues with you or rejects your advice or turns out to be a cretin then you can whack him around a bit. Until then let's give him the benefit of the doubt. :cheers:
+1

HolmenTree = Paul Bunyan

bunyan.jpg

Hey, I've been there... that's outside a cheesy amusement park-like ride through the trees in N Cali. It's called "Trees of Mystery". We didn't go on the ride but we did eat at an equally cheesy restaurant across the street called The Forest Cafe. Horrible food. http://www.treesofmystery.net/

Ian

They finally fixed Babe's head, it fell off last year, very sad sight indeed.

Haywire, did you enjoy the drive between Crescent City and Eureka? That is, in my little opinion, the best cruise in our area.

Ray

No big deal. Wilt Chamberlain slept with 20,000 women.

The direction that most of the trees I cut are going to fall is obvious. Notching can change it only a few degrees to perhaps get it in a place that's easier to work. My notching is more to keep the tree from breaking off. If the direction is critical I take a big tractor and pull it down or take the loader and push it down depending on the size and lean of the tree. If I am pushing it with a loader I don't notch it at all. Then, I've only cut a few hundred trees.

500 trees a day ,limbed and topped at 40-60ft.length average,from 40 below with 2feet of snow, to 100 above in summer. And helping my skidder operator choke it up to put it in the pile would have you PNW boys crying home for mama.

HAHA
Willard

Don't open the PNW stuff dude...I'll be forced to pull out the "America Junior" crap, and I am friends with some good Canadians, and like some others on here, but please don't make us come down on you. Obviously you've never met real hard working cutters, they have no need to brag, they are just known as being bad ass. Also, you can easily burn the woods down when it's above 100 and your still cutting. Hmm...Plus that lingo, "pile" either means crap wood or you be loggin' tree lengths alright. We call them a "deck" here, as do many places that harvest TIMBER.

Haywire, did you enjoy the drive between Crescent City and Eureka? That is, in my little opinion, the best cruise in our area.

Ray

We turned around about 10 miles south of Klamath. We hit the Redwoods right around there, turned back north and headed for Crater Lake. We stayed in Crescent city the night before. What a hole. Glad I don't live there. The Redwoods were a humbling experience. We saw a sign that had a quote from long ago. I forget the exact wording but the gist of it was, "Even the biggest A-hole becomes quietly respectful in the presence of these ancient trees." Wish I remembered exactly what it said. I think they used the word "irreverent".

Ian

Hey, Ray Carr

We stayed in Crescent city the night before. What a hole. Glad I don't live there.

Ian

Sounds like you better get the Del Norte County Chamber of Commerce on the ball. Can't have these tourists from Kentucky going home with bad impressions of your county seat.

Maybe next time you could arrange a tour of Pelican Bay for him. :laugh:

Besides...the real cool people in Del Norte live in Gasquet. ;)

No big deal. Wilt Chamberlain slept with 20,000 women.

The direction that most of the trees I cut are going to fall is obvious. Notching can change it only a few degrees to perhaps get it in a place that's easier to work. My notching is more to keep the tree from breaking off. If the direction is critical I take a big tractor and pull it down or take the loader and push it down depending on the size and lean of the tree. If I am pushing it with a loader I don't notch it at all. Then, I've only cut a few hundred trees.

Huh? Do you have no trees that grow straight from the ground up? I am sorry but you can fall the typical tree in any direction you want to.

Huh? Do you have no trees that grow straight from the ground up? I am sorry but you can fall the typical tree in any direction you want to.

Don't try to make this one size fits all. I have spent a lot of time in the west hunting and see the way the conifers grow. For the most part that is not the case here. A lot of what I cut is on the edge of pastures and 60% of the weight is on one side and they are leaning several degrees out. if you don't want them to go that way you had better have something with some serious weight or a lot of leverage working against it.You are kidding yourself if you think notching and wedging will make it go the other way. I can post some pictures if you are really interested.

Last edited:
listening

I thought 2dogs had a good point until I read:

"Don't try to make this one size fits all. I have spent a lot of time in the west hunting and see the way the conifers grow. For the most part that is not the case here. A lot of what I cut is on the edge of pastures and 60% of the weight is on one side and they are leaning several degrees out."

Conifers are generally much easier. The edge of openings means no natural pruning on the sunny side.
Understood.

10" diameter wood? Son, you're not logging...you're weed-eating.

This thread is like a good day of walleye fishing, find a good hole and you get lots of fight. I thought that 2,000,000 tree would get some response, but I stand by it. I'll admit I took offense to "weed eating not logging" and made some unacceptable remarks to the pros in the PNW because thats where the weed remark originated. But here in northern Manitoba our 10" black and white spruce is not a weed. These 80-100 year old trees have some of the strongest long softwood fiber in the world. Our pulpmill here makes paper so strong that their customers from around the world use it for making thin strong pages for bibles but the big market is for cement bags and the lower grade is used for dogfood bags ,and the mill can't make it fast enough.While newsprint mills are shut down ours has been booming since it opened in 1969.

Don't try to make this one size fits all. I have spent a lot of time in the west hunting and see the way the conifers grow. For the most part that is not the case here. A lot of what I cut is on the edge of pastures and 60% of the weight is on one side and they are leaning several degrees out. if you don't want them to go that way you had better have something with some serious weight or a lot of leverage working against it.You are kidding yourself if you think notching and wedging will make it go the other way. I can post some pictures if you are really interested.

No, it's called waste your entire day on three trees, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just let em' rip.

Latest posts

Back