1/3 Diameter Notch Rule

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pistol butt can be caused by a tree on an unstable slope (how I hate that term) when the slope slides a little and the tree then goes to straighten up. Pistol butt is also caused when a log slides down against a young tree. The log will rot away, but the crooked stump will still be there. Really unstable ground won't have pistol butt trees, just leaners and down trees. The only leaning I see is caused by stuff other than light. Trees will grow branches on the side with the most light exposure so don't have to lean to the light. Thin a stand, and a few years later, the space will be closed up by the crowns of the trees left in the stand.

I sure don't know this

"Trees will grow branches on the side with the most light exposure so don't have to lean to the light."

The big old fir in your neck of the woods.
When their high limbs are on one side.
Doesn't that have the possibility of 'influencing' the lean in that direction, not just by their weight but also by those heavy limbs pulling the stem that way?

===================

Where is the Pollman stump photo exhibit ?? ???? ?????

Oh please, dont tell me I now gotta straighten out this mess of confusing blubberings!

Tell me, what makes you stand straight?

Is it your skeleton?
Is it your muscles?
Is it the fluid in your inner ear?

Or a combination of many things including diet so you dont have bow legs and rickets.

Well, think about these words.

Apical dominance and auxin
Phototropism
Geotropism

As far as wind goes again not all are affected, Norfolk pines dominate the landscape of many seaside places, usually very straight whilst other trees have the windswept look.

Now honestly you blokes, time to knock it off with all this banter. Go do something useful. :laugh: :D

Thanks Ekka,
A little more research.
Types of tropisms
Chemotropism, movement or growth in response to chemicals
Gravitropism (or geotropism), movement or growth in response to gravity
Hydrotropism, movement or growth in response to moisture or water
Heliotropism, movement or growth in response to sunlight
Phototropism, movement or growth in response to lights or colors of light
Thermotropism, movement or growth in response to temperature
Thigmotropism, movement or growth in response to touch or contact

Exactly.

Some here reckon they make better money cutting them down than writing essays on them, good for them, I dont have a problem with that.

Cut away boys, it's just a crop.

Climb it with your light-n-agile 076 and delimb the side opposite the direction you want it to fall. Don't forget your ladder and video camera. :clap:

Ian

Ekkatropism

Sap like behavior coming from down under.

Gosh. Relax a bit.

Go round the front of your rakers.

Don't be a Norfolk everyday. Bend in the wind gracefully.

Hokay, I'm slow, hence the name. It finally dawned on me...the light went on, etc. Yes, the branches grow best and most on the side exposed to light and that affects the falling lean. But, since I'm not a faller, and merely a logger harasser, I was thinking of leaning lean, the lean caused by wind, dirt movement, getting nudged by equipment, etc. My bad...

Not Bad

"Is that smoke in your eye or you just shedding a tear?"

You're coming along, showing some compassion.
Well done.
Hope for you yet.
WHO SAYS AN ENTIRE NATION HAS THE GENES OF A CRIMINAL (based on the bitterness of one)?

-----------

We do have more smoke here today. Possibly from California. Our trees and all plants lean away from Cal. Generally.

That's generous

Ekka:

Way to be positive.

It is so much nicer when you use your words in a positive manner.

That can help others like me be a better person too.

I'm not going to respond in a "if your brains were gas there wouldn't be enough to cut through a dead palm tree" manner when you're intellectual rather than snotty.

Thanks again.

I vote you continue being an ####### and not providing any useful information to this situation.

I don't know, I found all those diplomas (or whatever those things were) very useful. I've read them and re-read them (thought maybe all of that knowledge would rub off on me!).

:agree2: Where's all the Love here?????? :givebeer:

Oh Ole Smokey Bear had a hard day and is just trying to paint people into pigeon holes, hibernation is months off yet so you'll likely see a few more episodes. :monkey:

Latest posts

Back