1/3 Diameter Notch Rule

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet that 372 was stock wasn't it?:greenchainsaw: what is your big woods saw?

Yep, it actually is. Muffler isn't even modded. The National Forest is closed due to fire season, we're working on private land but the saw's have to be inspected. Modded mufflers won't fly here in fire season.
My big wood saw is a 3120 (just a little modification) & what ever bar I feel big enough to handle that day.:chainsaw:

Andy

That's the same thing I asked the forester. One thing is they want a 6" stump height.:laugh:
Other than that, your guess is as good as mine because I didn't really get an answer.

Andy

Maybe you can press him a little. I'm really curious about his reason for no Humboldt. Did he even know what one was?

Maybe you can press him a little. I'm really curious about his reason for no Humboldt. Did he even know what one was?

I'm not sure if he know's or not. He's the new kid on the block, in his early 20's. When he come's for our next inspection I think I'll have a couple of stump's waiting for him to see what he say's.

Andy

I'm not sure if he know's or not. He's the new kid on the block, in his early 20's. When he come's for our next inspection I think I'll have a couple of stump's waiting for him to see what he say's.

Andy

Good idea. Educate him...do him and yourself a favor. Yelling at new foresters just confuses and embarasses them and they take refuge in their rule books and pamphlets and nothing constructive gets done. You've got the right idea...go for it.

Andy

Wouldn't suprise me. Humbolt is the safest undercut, it ain't coming back. This 6'' rule is ghey, I would fall it cock height and then buck off the stump.

Wouldn't suprise me. Humbolt is the safest undercut, it ain't coming back. This 6'' rule is ghey, I would fall it cock height and then buck off the stump.

I'm falling them with about a 12" stump and then bucking them off if I think I need to. Bad part is there's a lot of stump's on this job.
I'm trying to convince him that it's dangerous to fell a tree with a 6" stump.

Andy

I'm falling them with about a 12" stump and then bucking them off if I think I need to. Bad part is there's a lot of stump's on this job.
I'm trying to convince him that it's dangerous to fell a tree with a 6" stump.

Andy

do you run into some pretty big stuff that u need the 3120? also, what is the reasoning behind a 6" stump being dangerous? being hunched over and not being able to look up as easy? it is definitely a different ball game out there

do you run into some pretty big stuff that u need the 3120? also, what is the reasoning behind a 6" stump being dangerous? being hunched over and not being able to look up as easy? it is definitely a different ball game out there

Once in a while I run across one that just beg's for the 3120.
MeBillyTommyJeb.jpg

Being hunched over is just one part of it being dangerous. The terrain is steep enough in most area's here to make a 6" stump a killer.

Andy

Once in a while I run across one that just beg's for the 3120.
MeBillyTommyJeb.jpg

Being hunched over is just one part of it being dangerous. The terrain is steep enough in most area's here to make a 6" stump a killer.

Andy

u must be the scruffy one in the pic! nice log there! when they say a 6" stump would that be 6" on the downhill side? cuz that could definitely post some problems on steep ground

High side. It can be done, but why?

Andy

true...

how do they grade the timber out there? or do they have different grade designations for the logs? around here the trees get cut according to different grade logs...the butt log is typically the highest value...and the lower the better(buyers want to see the log as low as possible to check for defects and such) i cut alot of stump where my clutch cover is raking leaves on my way around the tree...

different cuttng technique for diffent trees/areas i suppose:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Grading is pretty simple around here. It's either a "saw log" or firewood.:dizzy:
All the mill's but one have shut down in our area, and their not buying log's because there's not much competition for timber sale's. He keeps his crew's buisy and has all he want's to saw.

Andy

Grading is pretty simple around here. It's either a "saw log" or firewood.:dizzy:
All the mill's but one have shut down in our area, and their not buying log's because there's not much competition for timber sale's. He keeps his crew's buisy and has all he want's to saw.

Andy

o...wow..that makes life easy...1)veneer 2)grade 1&2determined by size, species & quality (length limited by defect). 3)tie logs-(railroad ties) determined by size, species and quality, length (usually 9 foot) determined by demand. 4)blocking-determined by size, species, demand; i cut them anywhere from 8-40' logs.

and many more headaches

I frequently have a 8" stump limit here. The level stump rule is for the people who leave the fiber pull sticking up like punji stakes and for the sporax specs. The sporax calls for a level stump, so that it wont fall/wash off as much.
A few years ago I had a young know it all tell me that I had to go back and cut all the stumps off flat on an 160 acre job. Fortunatly for me cooler and wiser heads prevailed. But that individual has had it in for me ever since and this past winter he finally got me, and shot himself right in the foot doing it, he got a pretty serious demotion.
For me it is much easier and faster to cut the stump at 8" first and then just cut the splinters off than to cut the tree and then make cut the stump off again. ( Don't read this part Slowp) If it is over 8" just kick a little duff up against the up hill side. It just does not make any since to hang around cutting stumps off. In fact they are a whole lot easier to cut when they are still fastened to the tree.
But some times it is unsafe or not possible to cut the stump low to start with. Here a couple that I cut off high and then went back and cut the stump down.
The first leaned heavy to the side and back. I had a line in it and pulled it over as the back cut advanced. Then it had to jump over the deck rail. It is a conventional face at close to 1/3.
The second was over a highway. I used a humbolt at near 50%. I don't have a pic of the stump but you can see the butt in the last pic.

Last edited:
o...wow..that makes life easy...1)veneer 2)grade 1&2determined by size, species & quality (length limited by defect). 3)tie logs-(railroad ties) determined by size, species and quality, length (usually 9 foot) determined by demand. 4)blocking-determined by size, species, demand; i cut them anywhere from 8-40' logs.

and many more headaches

Hahahaha. I wish I had a few more headaches. When was the last time you delivered good log's to the mill for $200 a thousand? I don't even have that option anymore.:cry: Comoooooooon headache's, bring em on.

Life ain't easy, but life is good.:clap:

Andy

I frequently have a 8" stump limit here. The level stump rule is for the people who leave the fiber pull sticking up like punji stakes and for the sporax specs. The sporax calls for a level stump, so that it wont fall/wash off as much.
A few years ago I had a young know it all tell me that I had to go back and cut all the stumps off flat on an 160 acre job. Fortunatly for me cooler and wiser heads prevailed. But that individual has had it in for me ever since and this past winter he finally got me, and shot himself right in the foot doing it, he got a pretty serious demotion.
For me it is much easier and faster to cut the stump at 8" first and then just cut the splinters off than to cut the tree and then make cut the stump off again. ( Don't read this part Slowp) If it is over 8" just kick a little duff up against the up hill side. It just does not make any since to hang around cutting stumps off. In fact they are a whole lot easier to cut when they are still fastened to the tree.
But some times it is unsafe or not possible to cut the stump low to start with. Here a couple that I cut off high and then went back and cut the stump down.
The first leaned heavy to the side and back. I had a line in it and pulled it over as the back cut advanced. Then it had to jump over the deck rail. It is a conventional face at close to 1/3.
The second was over a highway. I used a humbolt at near 50%. I don't have a pic of the stump but you can see the butt in the last pic.

Yeah, they used to say 8" here, I don't know where the 6" stuff came from.
2" dosen't sound like much, but it's a big difference.

Andy

Hahahaha. I wish I had a few more headaches. When was the last time you delivered good log's to the mill for $200 a thousand? I don't even have that option anymore.:cry: Comoooooooon headache's, bring em on.

Life ain't easy, but life is good.:clap:

Andy

yea..everything is still rolling good in the hardwood...hickory and red oak prices have dropped due to the housing slump...but all the other markets are going great....White Oak and Walnut are OUTRAGEOUS!! some of the best stuff i've cut is going for $8,000-$10,000/mbf. but that is for the best of veneer. alot of it is going $2,000mbf.

Humboldt stump height

A minor scam out west is the use of the Humboldt to leave a 'short stump'.

The way this is legally complied with is any portion of the stump being within ____" of the ground. The bottom of the face meets whatever this requirement is locally, even though most of the stump is above or well above that height.

On most trees, the lowest stump is a conventional face. Exception to this is where the tree is being fell in the same direction as the low side of the stump. (Commonly this is dropping the tree downhill.)
In these situations the Humboldt gets the greatest utilization AND leaves the smallest stump.

Anyone noticed how high the stumps are on AxMen? Those aren't even old growth butt swells.
Administration is everything.

A minor scam out west is the use of the Humboldt to leave a 'short stump'.

The way this is legally complied with is any portion of the stump being within ____" of the ground. The bottom of the face meets whatever this requirement is locally, even though most of the stump is above or well above that height.

On most trees, the lowest stump is a conventional face. Exception to this is where the tree is being fell in the same direction as the low side of the stump. (Commonly this is dropping the tree downhill.)
In these situations the Humboldt gets the greatest utilization AND leaves the smallest stump.

Anyone noticed how high the stumps are on AxMen? Those aren't even old growth butt swells.
Administration is everything.

:)

Latest posts

Back