1/4 chain for an MS 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremez

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have some 1/4 " chain I want to run on my 200t but the sprocket is not available in the u.s. Anybody know why? And does anybody know a source I could get the sprockets to make this happen? Maybe one of our memmbers from across the pond? Thanks for tye help

I have some 1/4 " chain I want to run on my 200t but the sprocket is not available in the u.s. Anybody know why? And does anybody know a source I could get the sprockets to make this happen? Maybe one of our memmbers from across the pond? Thanks for tye help

Aric did it on his 200T here in the US. So the conversion is out there. ;)

bear20003.jpg

Did anyone else see that the HT 56 C-E is up on stihlusa now? It is supplied with 10" 1/4"P bar and chain.

So Duane, would you whole heartedly endorse the HT 56 C-E? Have you run a HT 130? HT 75 Echo power prune? Husqy pole saw? My buddy is asking if I would recommend the HT 56 C-E to him, but I don't have any experience with it.

So Duane, would you whole heartedly endorse the HT 56 C-E? Have you run a HT 130? HT 75 Echo power prune? Husqy pole saw? My buddy is asking if I would recommend the HT 56 C-E to him, but I don't have any experience with it.

Iguess it would depend on the way he wants to use it. I have no experience with others you mentioned. It is home owner grade but for me, it will not get worn out. You can prune for an hour and it will take three hours to gather everything up. I really like the 1/4 chain and it stays sharp cutting in the sky not on the ground. I like the two stroke and the lighter weight. For comercial use he might be wise to look at non home owner type. They will get heavy and use muscles you forgot you had.

My hesitation to recommend comes from a bad experience with a homeowner grade Husqy 128 pole saw I bought at sears two years ago. As delivered, it wouldn't cut a 2" hardwood twig. After a throttle cable adjustment, muffler mod, and carb retune it would cut small branches if I held it back to keep the rpms up. I was lucky to sell it for $150, then replace it with a new HT 130. The '130 is an amazing powerhouse.

As mentioned above the 1/4" setup is available for the 200T and I have a couple of spur setups sitting in the shed with a genuine Stihl carving bar (interestingly made in Japan - probably by Sugihara or Tsumura) and 3 loops of carving chain.
I also have a 1/4" sprocket for my MS241C.
Haven't used it yet but I have delusions of creating a 10 foot tall eagle out of a log one day. In reality it will probably look like a one legged chicken who grew up next to Chernobyl but one can only dream...

Aric did it on his 200T here in the US. So the conversion is out there. ;)

bear20003.jpg

OH MY GOD!!! HE USED A 200T AT GROUND LEVEL AND SURVIVED???

According to many arborists on AS he should have died. Unless of course he is a qualified arborist then any risk is null and void.

My hesitation to recommend comes from a bad experience with a homeowner grade Husqy 128 pole saw I bought at sears two years ago. As delivered, it wouldn't cut a 2" hardwood twig. After a throttle cable adjustment, muffler mod, and carb retune it would cut small branches if I held it back to keep the rpms up. I was lucky to sell it for $150, then replace it with a new HT 130. The '130 is an amazing powerhouse.

I have had no problem with limbs up to 8 inches, look out below when they drop from 8 feet high. I think like anything else chainsaw related it's the chain. Kind of why I looked at this thread in the first place. 1/4 is very cool chain in it's place. DW

I have had no problem with limbs up to 8 inches, look out below when they drop from 8 feet high. I think like anything else chainsaw related it's the chain. Kind of why I looked at this thread in the first place. 1/4 is very cool chain in it's place. DW

I agree with you on the use of 1/4 chain. I started with a couple 015's I got from Wiggelsworth and have sworn by 1/4" ever since. I was helping my buddy bucking up tops last year and my 015 was smoking his 201with picco set up. I've been wanting to get an HT131 but every time I turn around guys are saying the drive shafts are junk and to stay away. Might just forge ahead and get one anyways. I don't want a junk model from a big box store.

Latest posts

Back