10 pin setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brncreeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is my racing sprocket setup that I'm testing on the 084. The bar is a 17" Carlton from Bailey's (17-55-A166-PC), the chain is 33RS, the 10 pin sprocket I got from Bill G.

For the real horsepower nuts, Madsen's have racing sprockets from 8 to 16 pins:jawdrop: :greenchainsaw:

Later this week I hope to do some real testing in a 10x10 hickory cant.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Slight angle for the drivers to enter.
attachment.php

My first attempt was not far enough on the slot.
attachment.php

TIG welded, spliced, ready to go.
attachment.php

Looks like it will work.
attachment.php

This is probably a stupid question but I've yet to do any saw modding and am curious about getting bigger sprockets. As far as my ( most likely flawed ) physics brain works a bigger sprocket would equate to a higher chain speed but less torque, right? So it would be a good option on, say, my 066, if I ran a 24' or less bar, but wouldn't prove very useful on my 361, right? Am I on the right track at least?

Hory Carp!!! Oh, not a Chinese saw, sorry.

How to bestardize a bar in 4 easy steps. Yep, brought back memories. Nice job, btw. Now you get to start on the chain part. Get a chain worked up and I'll come by and break it some day. :)

Mark

This is probably a stupid question but I've yet to do any saw modding and am curious about getting bigger sprockets. As far as my ( most likely flawed ) physics brain works a bigger sprocket would equate to a higher chain speed but less torque, right? So it would be a good option on, say, my 066, if I ran a 24' or less bar, but wouldn't prove very useful on my 361, right? Am I on the right track at least?

Yes you are on track. Set that 066 with a 8 pin for normal use.

How bout a 6401? I cut mainly oak for firewoof, about 20" or less mostly. 20" bar and chain. Would i benefit from 8 pin over the stock one? I plan on a muffler mod and one day a 7900 kit on it. Thanks.

I'm using an 11-pin on mine. I started with a Carlton 21" and cut it down to fit a standard 72DL chain for a 20" bar. Make sure you bevel the edges of the rails to help guide the chain in. It's now painted Stihl grey and the Stihl logo painted on.

366374036_LrnvP-M.jpg
366374011_dJboZ-M.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the 9 pin setup I have for my 372. I need to lose a link out of that chain to pull it in closer and someone needs to loan me one of those vallorbe setups so I can square file that chain. LOL

Ian
barmod.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using an 11-pin on mine. I started with a Carlton 21" and cut it down to fit a standard 72DL chain for a 20" bar. Make sure you bevel the edges of the rails to help guide the chain in. It's now painted Stihl grey and the Stihl logo painted on.

366374036_LrnvP-M.jpg
366374011_dJboZ-M.jpg

Here's the 9 pin setup I have for my 372. I need to lose a link out of that chain to pull it in closer and someone needs to loan me one of those vallorbe setups so I can square file that chain. LOL

Ian
barmod.jpg
I had to splice the chain on the bar, it looks like you guys can get your chain off and on w/out breaking it?

Hory Carp!!! Oh, not a Chinese saw, sorry.

How to bestardize a bar in 4 easy steps. Yep, brought back memories. Nice job, btw. Now you get to start on the chain part. Get a chain worked up and I'll come by and break it some day. :)

Mark
Yep.Once you hit with a hole saw it's yours, you bought it:greenchainsaw: .
I need to rig up a log stand for in town so I don't always have to run out to Reinbeck to run tests. But yes, stop by anytime and break away.:cheers:

Yes you are on track. Set that 066 with a 8 pin for normal use.

Thank you, sir. After reviewing my saws I actually have an 8 pin on my 066. Now normally, I run a 28" bar and once my 385 is ready to go that will be my 24" felling saw so my 066 will be relegated to only the big tasks usually outfitted with my 36" bar. Once I make the change to running the 36 incher 90% of the time do you think I should switch back to a 7 pin sprocket to get more torque or would the difference be negligible?

wouldn't it be easier to slide the rim on the drum with the b/c?? wouldn't have to break it down that way.

Not sure I follow you.
The sprockets themselves could be improved by replacing the pins with tiny shoulder bolts and loctite.

Thank you, sir. After reviewing my saws I actually have an 8 pin on my 066. Now normally, I run a 28" bar and once my 385 is ready to go that will be my 24" felling saw so my 066 will be relegated to only the big tasks usually outfitted with my 36" bar. Once I make the change to running the 36 incher 90% of the time do you think I should switch back to a 7 pin sprocket to get more torque or would the difference be negligible?
An 8 pin on my 660 works really well in soft wood. I mostly run a 7 pin with a 25" bar.

How bout a 6401? I cut mainly oak for firewoof, about 20" or less mostly. 20" bar and chain. Would i benefit from 8 pin over the stock one? I plan on a muffler mod and one day a 7900 kit on it. Thanks.
Couldn't hurt, give it a try. I've got an 8 for my 346, but it takes a light touch!

Great job and great pics.

Best wishes for a big win,
Bob
Thanks!
Like a lot of Hot Rods........Chopped and Chanelled

Yep!

Back