Yard Sale 350, 371XP, Franken-044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Boyer

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really had no intention of buying more saws, OR parts-but when the price is right, what's a kid Gonna do? Well Buy Candy of Course! (I Swear I'm not addicted)....Anyway, the first thing I came across was this cute little "Homeowner Husky", seems the wire slipped out of the kill switch and the nice man figured it would cost $100 or so to have a shop fix it (he just choked it out whenever he was done cutting a wheelbarrow of sticks for his fire ring) And, Who was I to argue? So the saw is on its original chain--heck, he never even had the filter cover off! And you can see how clean it is. On top of that, his Wife was happy to see such a powerful and Deadly dangerous Device Be Gone! Don't feel sorry for him though, he's still got a 13 HP Tracked Snowthrower and all the latest Grass/weed cutting Machinery. So I got the saw for $80 after agreeing that it WAS kinda Old ('05), and the dealer might charge even more than a C-Note and parts might be an issue. Just unscrewed the cover to see how surprisingly clean it is under there...

Then I stopped in a former Stihl Dealer that is sort of a family run deal--BUT, if big Mama isn't around (No Escalade parked in front), then I know Junior is minding the store...And Junior likes Cash about as much as he likes Hamburgers! (Jr is a Big Boy), SO, with Mama absent, I was allowed "In Back" to look at the shelves and benches full of anything and everything, and as long as Mama wasn't going to miss it, it was 4 Sale at a "Nice Price" Sooo I got an 044 powerhead, which seems to have good compression--$150, and I can bring it back if I don't like it!--(haven't dug into it yet), also got most of a Dumore Grinder--No drive cable, so it was "Hows $10 Bucks?" (OK by me!)

Figured the near new Carbide was worth that! But by the size of the hand piece, I figure this old gal never ported anything as dainty as a Chainsaw cylinder! BTW, looks like a cable for the thing will run me ~100 bucks or more!
Then, before Mama got back from BK, I spotted another buried gem, a complete 350(!)--not as pretty, but a runner, "just totally redone" (whatever that means)--$125 for that puppy, and as I was being hustled about, I spotted a box with "346xp" written on it in "Sharpie", and here's what was inside: HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!

Apparently parts got ordered, paid or not, and just wound up in random piles--I Definitely need to stake out this Mower Shop at lunch time when Mama's out, I'm Sure I missed some real gems!
But for now I've read up on 350's --the poor man's 346xp--and I intend to reseal the clamshells and probably tighten the squish, maybe even try a bit of clean-up (Smallest thing I ever took a Die Grinder to was a CR500 Jug--and I wished I had more room/fancier tools!. I Read Brad Snelling's post and Pics on the 350--Thank You VERY MUCH Brad--, and the idea of putting that 346 topend on the "Less Pretty" 350, along with a black coil of course, is quite tempting, but if I understand the ink stamps correctly, "42" works out to about 45cc's while "44" is close to 50cc's. Since the 350 pictured is truly almost new, I cant see changing that P/C, so if anything it'll be the other 350 that gets the XP topend....Which, btw, set me back Some Serious Ching ($80 to be precise), Since, in Junior's words, "That's a REAL Head!, Not one of those Chinesey jobs they sell on the internet!", and he added,"If you can even get them anymore, they cost as much as a saw, that's why we got away from all that stuff, nobody fixes Nothin', they just buy new saws from Home Depot".
Then on the way out he rattled off a bunch of Well Meant Warnings, "Watch those little c-clips, if they go flying you'll never find them", "Make sure and use good oil when you first start it",(I guess later you can just use waste oil?), "And be real careful gettin' that ring lined up, There's a pin that keeps it from spinning. And Don't jam it or you'll ruin it!". "These Aren't like Mower Engines--Don't go prying or banging on it with a Hammer if don't go in easy!" I Mean IT-They Break real easy if you try to force them too much!"
Well meaning kid though--or perhaps he just didn't want to see me back with a box of parts while Big Mama was in the house! So I did my best to assure him that I'd worked on Dirtbikes since I was 12 or so and wouldn't destroy anything or blame him. He DID invite me to "Come back real soon!, there's lot's of parts that need clearing out!"

Finally then, if anyone has any words of wisdom/advise regarding these "Homeowner"saws, be it sealant preference, port specs, anything at all, It would be Mightily Appreciated! I do plan to reseal with 515, yamabond, hondabond, whatever I get first, MuffMod of course, muff brace, black coil-so my tiny tach can get some use, and I plan to run the 18" .325/.050 bar chain setups that are on them--unless there's something compellingly more fun to justify the change. And I've gotten almost anal about charting Comp#'s and doing a Vac/press. test after any reseal or on an unknown--like the 044.
I might just be tempted to pull the Xfer covers like Mr. Snelling did and tidy things up a bit--not like I'm short on saws! Thanks in Advance, and Thanks for reading my rambling post. And if I learn anything I'll certainly put it up for those who might still have/run/like this little half breed! Regards, Mike

P.S., anyone use these Dumore-or foredom cable drive units? Or is it all Air?

So, am I to understand that junior owned these items? It sounds like he sold you a bunch of stuff that most likely never quite went in the till?

Some good deals. Sounds like some shady ethics were involved though. Some might even call it theft, and receiving stolen goods. Pretty sure somebody paid for those parts, did they see a return on that investment? If its on the up and up, why wait till Mommas gone? Junior sounds like a thief. Again, were they his to sell?

So, am I to understand that junior owned these items? It sounds like he sold you a bunch of stuff that most likely never quite went in the till?

Some good deals. Sounds like some shady ethics were involved though. Some might even call it theft, and receiving stolen goods. Pretty sure somebody paid for those parts, did they see a return on that investment? If its on the up and up, why wait till Mommas gone? Junior sounds like a thief. Again, were they his to sell?

As I understand it, Mama and Jr inherited the shop when Dad Passed on and Mama wouldn't even let you see the "inventory", which I understand was wholly owned by Ma and Jr. They just ran the biz into the ground after Dad was gone--I Didn't buy a "customers" part or saw- just got a deal from Jr. Apparently Ma is a first rate Hoarder, Thinks ALL things will be worth a fortune if she holds on to them long enough. I didn't even mention the blown up echo cs-3000! She'd have kept that or wanted 300 bucks for it!--and I could go on. More pics to follow.
I truly believe it's on the up and up--the 346 box had a Serious layer of dust on it--I expected it might have Age-siezed 'till I got it open! We're talkkin' parts that have been on a dirty shelf for 7+Years!

To be Clear, Junior may be lying (Family-Wise), but Mama Cited "insurance"" as a reason to not let me *EVEN LOOK* behind the counter, much less paw through their junk pile--I suspect more like just Embarrassment! And when I paid Jr, He DID produce a receipt, And told me I could return it (The 044) if it was No good. So I think it's just a matter of Mama knowing Nothing about saws/parts, and Jr knowing a little. He was trying to sell me a bunch of Stihl specific tools as well since they lost the dealership. Now they're a Cub Cadet/Echo dealer---everybody has grass, Not so much "Everybody needs a 660, 201T or 361 or whatever is being pushed by Stihl these days...and btw, Pops passed on 2 or 3 years ago---and that's when all saw service, parts ordering, Rivet spinning, etc., Stopped. I DON'T Condone thievery or "receiving" Stolen Goods! No Way, No How! It's Happened to Me! I Wouldn't do it someone else, and I'll Gladly put up th S/N tags if anyone Doubts me! Regards, Mike
P.S., I still think the yard sale 350 was the gem of the bunch, but I will have another look at Jr's junk heap, ER, I mean Work Bench...

Anything other than dealing with "Mama" puts you in a dim light in my view. I would be interested to hear how "Junior" acquired ownership of the items he "sold" to you. Taking the path of least resistance does not necessarily make it ethical or legal. Typically a decedant's estate would pass to the surviving spouse, giving "Junior" zero interest in what you "bought".

Zogger and Sunfish Don, Thanks for the electronic "Hi 5" and GrassGuerilla and Guido Salvage, I Appreciate you guys stepping up and questioning the Legitimacy of this transaction--It's good for ALL of us (I've had saws stolen), and after reading my original post, It could sound sketchy to the uninformed. The deal is, As I understand it, Pops was a legit Stiihl Dealer AND a skilled service man that didn't rip off any easy target that walked in, and he serviced brands he didn't sell as well. Those in the "Know" Say Dad Tried to teach Jr., But it didn't really "Take". Word is he(Jr) actually owns the shop, but Mom is more or less the bookkeeper--The family is "Comfortable" as I understand through the Grapevine, yet even though the Stihl Franchise is No More, She thinks the back room is full of Gold (Like Saws that swam in the salty soup of Hurricane Sandy and were left to "air dry".)
So Now It's Cub Cadet, Echo, Custom Sheds, Some Brand of Power Washers, and a line of Gensets.
Jr. gave me a Legit receipt, and told me he'd take back the 044 if it was no good, and really seemed more into setting up mower decks than fiddling with chainsaw carbs.
And again, I'll Gladly post photos of th S/N tags on the 350's as well as the S/N on the 044.

Anything other than dealing with "Mama" puts you in a dim light in my view. I would be interested to hear how "Junior" acquired ownership of the items he "sold" to you. Taking the path of least resistance does not necessarily make it ethical or legal. Typically a decedant's estate would pass to the surviving spouse, giving "Junior" zero interest in what you "bought".

"Mama" is in fact the bookkeeper, Jr and his Brother "Own" the business as "Mama" is actually "Step-Mama", Pops saw his years running out and had Attorneys delegate the assets as he saw fit--I actually have lunch with one of the LLP Partners now and again by all accounts "Step-Mom" is just a bit Overbearing AND legally speaking, Overreaching. Again, I appreciate your concern, but I am in NO WAY taking advantage of Jr.--He just can't be bothered to try to get 300 or 350 for an 044 that's half screwcap, half flippycap, totally untested and not a beauty queen by any means. He thought 150 was fair, gave me a receipt and a verbal guarantee. If I don't like it, I can take it back. Everything seems on the up and up to me, I just have to believe I missed the REAL deals that dropped when they Liquidated the Stihl Tools/Parts. Just a fluke I found some Husky parts and an old tired CS-3000 powerhead... And my Turbo-scan revealed no Big new bars, or NOS 084's lurking in the corner, waiting to be purchased for50 bucks....

Thanks for your concern and keeping folks honest, I just got a lucky hit, Hope I've cleared things up a bit, Regards, Mike

I buy a lot of my saw from a shop with almost the exact situation... I feel no remorse and I'm about as honest as they come (trying not to break my arm while I pat my back). The saws I buy are usually going I be ripped apart and scrapped and the dad feels that's the way I do it. He's a tight ole bugger. His son is cool and the co owner of the shop. I was buying them from the scrap piles before so I worked it out that I pay more and the saws come to me in whole form. I also bought a bunch of nos parts from them. The son sold me a bunch while the dad was away. He didn't sell me a good bit of them. I later bought his "scrap box with all the remaining nos parts thrown in the bottom for 5 bucks. His dad threw them away.

I used to be a tool man and sold tools to at least 20 shops that had a parent looming over the progressive minded son that was taking over the shop. I never went to those shops on days the dad/mom was there. I actually took notes and scheduled around that. All the parents stilled liked me if I showed up when they were there, they just helped the shops wallet stay a little tighter. Maybe I'm a creep.

*Update* I hope my explanation has restored some confidence i my Moral Integrity, It is important to me- and if you care, look up "treekingocllc" on evilbay and you'll see my feedback is 100%...

BUT, to the point, I stopped by and spoke with Junior (StepMom was absent), and in conversation I politely asked why his Step-Mom was so inflexible. His response:" She's been P**sed Off ever since that House fell on Her Sister!"
My first reaction was shock and empathy--I Obviously didn't get it! Then he said: "Wizard of Oz?"...DUH ON ME! For some reason I then found it SO FUNNY that I had a fit of Hebephrenia! ---I Laughed SO hard I was crying, and after about 10 seconds I kinda got it together--THOROUGHLY EMBARRASSED THOUGH! But Junior made me feel better when he said, "You made my day!, I've tried that joke before, but you're the first one that really laughed at it--He laughed a good bit too after that.

Just A bit of an *Update*, I've got a complete "044" "Magnum" PowerHead. I've only just snapped a few pics, but it's got a SlantFin Jug, #129908836 visible and what looks to be a later style Air cleaner assembly than what would have come with the "Hated" old-fashioned screw caps . I've always had Huskys, like the 1998 371XP, so I'm not at all knowledgeable about subtleties of Stihl saw changes over time, but it has ~ 150psi cold, good spark, and a nice color on the plug. I don't have a Stihl-Mount bar/chain handy just now though, so I can't really test it just yet!!!
That New looking bar and chain I mounted on my old 371 has a "Carbide impregnated(?)" Chain...it's definitely Harder than a new 7/32 round file, and apparently it's intended for Roof Venting-or whatever I suppose, during a Structural Fire. AND, Since Stihl builds a Special saw JUST for Fire/Rescue, they about have the market wrapped up-I remember seeing an Echo CS-8000 with an odd looking downward angled bar once that was for Roof Venting, but the story behind this one is a bit odd...
WAY Back in the day, when Folks actually had Money, and Builders Built Houses, there was-(probably still is), a Good old Piney named Charlie (not kidding), and his specialty was HVAC, a Trade I'm also Semi- versed in by virtue of having a friend that's done Plumbing/Heating/Air, for about as long as I've been doing residential Tree work. So this guy's Nickname in the trades was "Chainsaw Charlie" and he was a Nightmare for many a Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician. His method for roughing in supplies--and returns, was to just have at it with a chainsaw! That silly little Sawzall that everyone else uses was just too slow for him! And as it turned out, My HVAC Pal Mark would often surprise me with some ducting, or some sheets accompanied by a sketch or just sharpie marks/instructions by the side door to my Garage when I got home for the day. WELLLLL, as luck would have it, Mark was contracted to finish an HVAC job Charlie had started! Turns out Charlie needed to run a supply through the first floor (of a kinda pricey~7500sq.ft. McMansion) and this particular owner wanted a finished basement with NO (read few) Lolly-columns, And so the Architect/Engineer specified a particularly LONG and Tall and Heavy "Para-lam" as the main "Long-Ways support beam below the first floor.
So once Chuck had cut thru the bottom plate of the wall and the plywood below that, He just kept right on cutting--plunging merrily away until he had made a "Pocket" large enough to fit a "Proper" Big A$$ 14"x6" duct 90, and was on his way to cut in 3 or 4 more down the line when the GC took notice, about had a Heart Attack and then went Full-On Bat-Scat!!! Then the Architect/Engineer was "Summoned" without any real warning, and if you believe the story as I and several others have been told, After seeing the "Damage" the A/E barely made it to the backyard before having a fit of Projectile Vomiting! I know-and believe this story because Mark was doing just the plumbing, but after this he was contracted to finish the HVAC and he witnessed the whole thing.
Apparently these "BIG" para-lam beams can cost literally Thousands for a 40 footer, and after 3 stories of "House" had more or less been built atop of this one--well, you can just try to imagine how you would try to replace it---and there was no hiding any of it since the Inspector was already scheduled to scrutinize something that Very day! Just in case anyone is interested, the "Fix" involved some excavation and a pair of Steel I-Beams running parallel to the ruined para-lam on either side, and I imagine a "Jersey Style" Handshake with the Right guy down at the Inspectors office...(!) Ha! I'm not Jaded...I'm pretty sure my buddy Mark G. posted photos to the "Wall of Shame" over at HVAC-TALK(dot,you know). Pretty sure it was 1999, But ANYWAY, I've really jumped the rails this time! ON to the photos then-I Hope!
THE Frankensaw, 044

This is the muffler opening--needs a bit of "Dual port cover", Eh?

Kinda rufff, and the plastics aren't quite a match...

Well there you have it! it's a "Magnum", says so right on that sticker!

This is where I'm thinking "IT" didn't originally have this filter setup...?

My "old as dirt" 1998 371xp with Chainsaw Charlie's "HouseWrecker" bar setup bolted on just for a laugh--BTW, JR told me he called the local VFD and they ALL use Stihl so it was a "thanks, but"...and he just tossed it in a box with a collection of other odds for 'No Charge"

I actually do use my saws, I just don't let anyone else use them! still looks pretty good for its age.

From what I gather from the stickers on the bar, there's some kind of wheel on spindle that's supposed to mount thru that slot in the bar...

My old original MM, as per Ken Dunn and using a "30 mesh" 304 stainless (I think), anyway it's used in large panels in a hand cranked gizmo, much like a "salad spinner", but its pretty HD, and what you do is put "shaved" honeycomb--from honey bees--in the thing, and the screen lets the honey thru but collects the larvae, wings, legs, abdominal bits, and so on--tough stuff, you need GOOD hardened snips to cut it properly--And the Final "FunFact", it's 52% "open" so Ken told me to go 100-125% of the Ex. port size AT the cylinder, It flares toward the Muff., "And you'll be fine" --Make sure you richen up that Hi needle mind you!

I found a pic of the "Duct in question"!

And an outside pic, just for an idea of the Fooolish Excess that was turned on it's "Head" in a few short minutes with nothing more than "Flatratin' ChainSaw Charlie" and an out of control 262XP(wished I'd gotten the Saw rather than a 15 year old NOS 12" long Bar and Chain--But hey, free is for me, and if someone got a chuckle from a tale TOO screwed-up to be Made-up, well that's enuf to make my day!

If Anyone happened to take notice of that Dumore Hand grinder/ remote motor, I made some calls, every last part IS available from the MFG., But-The drive cable and housing alone start at around 100 bucks (there are after-marquet apparently available, but who knows what quality?) And from what I gather--and I looked for it--JR should have had a rheostat, or pedal speed control :) no Dice...So does anyone use these? Looks like it'd be more at home chewing the EGR bumps out of a 460 ford Head than trying to finesse an intake or exhaust on a Wee 346xp cylinder....Thanks for looking, hope I got it right-the pics that is....never know 'till you click "post reply"--here goes nuthin'!

I'm not sure about the efficacy/price value of trying a repalcement pedal from the harbor freight brand grinder, But maybe worth looking into.
A second idea is to look for any "old school" sewing machine repair/sales shops
Goodwill, yard sales etc
and find a pedal from a sewing machine.
The old, better ones would have a nice response i.e. resistance slope for getting a "universal" i.e. brush type motor to creep off nicely from starting.

Just be sure to look at the voltage and watt or amp ratings.

Back