1000 Pounds of Bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never used bark for kindling in the house as I thought it had a lot of grubs etc. that I wouldn't want in the house. I have left it in a compost area and it was always a hot spot for our chickens. Bark really draws insects and stuff for some reason!

I never used bark for kindling in the house as I thought it had a lot of grubs etc. that I wouldn't want in the house. I have left it in a compost area and it was always a hot spot for our chickens. Bark really draws insects and stuff for some reason!
When you pile it up after removing it, normally the sun will dry it out and the bugs vanish. This fall we have had fabulous drying conditions. Tree bark ignites instantly after being dried for a day or so in the sun and wind. I would use more of it for kindling, but I keep collecting shrapnel from the log splitter. I keep a small barrel next to the splitter and generally it's full after a few hours of splitting. If it's not, I throw dry bark from the bark pile in there as well.

I don't leave it in the house for days, the bark is under cover of weather and I bring it in just before the fire.

Any bark over 8" is kindlin. Always been since we need to light the cookstove daily. Oak bark keeps a nice linear shape - a 24" round shoots off semi-round husks that I'll hand break into 2" wide kindles that I mix with similar size white pile splits. Beech and maple bark - not so much.

Best kindlin ever were these huge sheets from a mature 40" linden. Busted up good into small widths and lengths.

And bark seems to dry some wicked fast.

I wish I had time to build a fire I up in the morning and on the road to cut split dry and deliver. Since I do Ash I have tons of bark but it ends up as land fill. Big chunks I have a quarter turned splitter I split off the bark makes a pretty bundle all that pretty white straight grain wood wrapped in colored stretch wrap gives me a warm feeling

Attachments

• IMG_2617153112502.jpeg
    IMG_2617153112502.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 7
The postal service delivers a lot of my kindling! Also cardboard from shipping boxes.

Some kinds of bark work great as kindling, some not so much.

Back