100LL AV Gas, adjust carb necessary?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently switched over to 100LL. With a slight retune all my saws run and idle just as well as they did before. If there is a power loss its not even noticeable.

High compression 2 strokes like good fuel and high octane. When I had my banshee the motor was worked and running 182psi. Pump gas the thing ran like crap and wouldnt tune right. Fill the tank with c12 and it was a whole new bike.

I run 100LL and they idle just fine, no probs there. Smells good, and I buy it 100 gallons at a time so a couple gallons for the saws is no big deal. Also run Stihl Ultra oil with it...

100Low-Lead (100LL, AVGAS), frequently found at airports obviously goes in airplanes. When I worked at an airport, a large portion of the sales went to people buying it for nonaviation reasons. I was always told to avoid using it in power equipment because of its combustion properties. It has a blue tint and a distinct smell. It contains TEL (tetraethyllead), a very hazardous and toxic substance. There is about 2 grams of TEL in a gallon of AVGAS. NASCAR stopped using fuel with TEL because their pit crews tested positive for it in their blood. Undoubtly running it in a chainsaw is a bad idea because the exhaust port is generally close to your face. I would pass on running this stuff.properties. It has a blue tint and a distinct smell. It contains TEL (tetraethyllead), a very hazardous and toxic substance. There is about 2 grams of TEL in a gallon of AVGAS. NASCAR stopped using fuel with TEL because their pit crews tested positive for it in their blood. Undoubtly running it in a chainsaw is a bad idea because the exhaust port is generally close to your face. I would pass on running this stuff.

I don't sell or care who uses 100ll but it is probabley the most cost effective way around ethanol and the related problems with it. If your saw will idle with it you're not going to hurt it, but some adjusting will likely improve performance.
Now, if you have your saw tuned for avgas and switch over to pump gas, you may be lean enuff to hurt something.

The engine will run a little cooler with av-gas. It won't hurt anything.I ran it in my hotsaws,motorcycles,snowmobiles,cars... Generally you want to take advantage of the high octane and raise the compression a bit or advance the timing in most engines(If you know what you're doing),but the timing on most saws is fixed and not easily adjusted,and is fatal if you go too far.
Raising compression ratio is usually not too hard,there are well known guidelines you can be safe at,but then you may not be able to run normal gas again if you go too far.
So running the stuff is fine even if you don't do anything to the motor,it's good stuff,you may have to re-adjust your carb mixture of course.
If you suspect the fuel you buy at the gas station has alcohol in it,then all you need to do is use synthetic mix-oil to be safe,petroleum oil will not mix with alcohol,hence the mysterious piston seizures. Try pouring some straight alcohol into a bottle and add some petroleum oil,you can shake it all you want,it won't mix. I ran an 084 on a 50% alcohol/25% nitro mix,and used Amsoil mix oil no problems. Actually that ammount of alcohol in a motor has a profound cooling affect,the engine ran very cold compared to gas.

The engine will run a little cooler with av-gas. It won't hurt anything.I ran it in my hotsaws,motorcycles,snowmobiles,cars... Generally you want to take advantage of the high octane and raise the compression a bit or advance the timing in most engines(If you know what you're doing),but the timing on most saws is fixed and not easily adjusted,and is fatal if you go too far.
Raising compression ratio is usually not too hard,there are well known guidelines you can be safe at,but then you may not be able to run normal gas again if you go too far.
So running the stuff is fine even if you don't do anything to the motor,it's good stuff,you may have to re-adjust your carb mixture of course.
If you suspect the fuel you buy at the gas station has alcohol in it,then all you need to do is use synthetic mix-oil to be safe,petroleum oil will not mix with alcohol,hence the mysterious piston seizures. Try pouring some straight alcohol into a bottle and add some petroleum oil,you can shake it all you want,it won't mix. I ran an 084 on a 50% alcohol/25% nitro mix,and used Amsoil mix oil no problems. Actually that ammount of alcohol in a motor has a profound cooling affect,the engine ran very cold compared to gas.

Additives in all 2 cycle oils meeting JASO FC or FD will mix with any pump gas that has 15% alcohol. As far as I know Amsoil does not mix with nitro, you'd need to run one of the oils Klotz offers, they're other oils that mix with nitro, but Klotz is the most popular here. Most of the fuel in US has some alcohol in it. All fuels have a cooling effect, as long as the proper fuel is used. Yes if raise the compression too much you will need to raise the octane, but saws are limited by a number of factors, without cutting the head off and making your own.

The only thing AV gas does in a normal work saw is improve storage life of the fuel, and the life of the fuel system in your saw. to some this means a lot to others not much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back