11/14 -15 Weekend Report - What did you do ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What did you do this weekend ???

I finally fired up the Hardy Outdoor stove. It was in the 60s today but is suppose to be in the low 40s in the evenings next week. Been working on finishing a new 'patio' around the stove, pretty much got that done during the week, seeded and strawed the edges on Tuesday early eve. Still got to get my light working....

So this weekend: Fired up the OWB, cut a few loads of wood, (361 20" and 270 20"), moved some wood from the wood lot near the stove, had a great outdoors day this Saturday.

Here are a few pics of the 'firing' and some hardwood logs down at the wood lot, enjoy..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You and me are on the same program. I also fired up my Hardy today. What nice weather we are having. It's November 14th and we all sat around the fire pit tonight looking up at the stars. I split some wood in my shorts!

And the Buckeyes won!

I went over to a Buddy's house to clear out 5 acres of 100ft beetle killed pine. It was great until I shoved a pine limb through my trucks gas tank :censored:

Drank a few bottles of wine last nite and watched movies.Temp got down to -6,waited till it got up to 0 (11am)this morning before splitting and moving wood for the week,up to the porch.
by afternoon it was almost 10 degs when I started work on the corner posts for the firewood deck.Girlfriend and her kids are over tonight,so its left over fireworks nite,probably should have planned for a bonfire.

ak4195

I cut and hauled two 5x10 trailer loads of wood that I got for free. Most of the wood was maple and various other soft woods.

Wrangled leaves, worked on the Toro leaf blower, wrangled leaves, scouted the area near the Deer stand, Helped load a dead Dodge on a trailer, helped get truck and trailer get unstuck, finished prepping for opening day madness.

Nice and easy Saturday.

The saws are gonna get rusty for a day or two... it's Deer season starting at sunrise.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

cleaned up the gun safes and got things were they should be in the basement. followed by a great dinner in boston with 10 friends at fire and ice. fantastic food.

picked up 3 18 foot car trailer loads of free wood, heres some pics of the wood.
DSCF0122.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

DSCF0124.jpg

DSCF0125.jpg

and pics of wood i cut and split earlier this year
DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg

Another 1/2 cord split and brought up to the deck. Should have enough wood their now to last till January. Deck's pretty much filled now.

Next weekend: Start splitting and bringing up red oak for Jan / Feb wood. Gonna stack that on pallets near my deck so I can just bring it when a log cart. My main wood stacking area is on an old garage slab, but it's far enough away to need to load on my pickup to bring up to the house. I'm hoping to pretty much have a year's supply within manual distance of the house by Dec 1.

Saturday I mowed the lawn for the last time this yr. Cleaned up the mower and put it in the corner of the garage. Then got the dull chains out from last yr. and was going to sharpen them, but went over to the neighbor and shot the sh** with him till dark.

Today my brother came over. We took a sasafras tree down that looked like crap from an ice storm. Then found a small red oak tree that looked bad and took it down. Went in for dinner, came back out and the wind switched to the north and rain moved in.

I decided it was time to get my babies back in the garage. Don't need the water rusting up the bars..

I did not touch a chainsaw.

This weekend is opening gun season. I always spend it with my kids.This is my daughters.
377962278.jpg
these are mine the buck and the sons doe,.
377888035.jpg

Last edited:
Was going to split wood all weekend with my 2 kids as I was loaned an awesome home-built spliter. I got talked into taking down 2 pecan trees by my partnet. I swore it would only take us 2 hours. It took 7. The smaller one was probably 20" - 22" dbh and several limbs had to be dropped before we could rope, notch, and drop it.

The second one was in the back yard so we took down a section of the cyclon fence to be able to get the skid steer back there. It was about 28" - 30" and flared out to about 32" where I flush cut the stump. This whole tree had to be roped down as it was only about 8' from the house and it was right next to the fence and there were 2 clothes line poles in the middle of the yard.

Both trees were dead standing. No leaves but the branches exploded when the hit anything. Lots of picking up small stick.

All had to be hauled away. Alot of it was too roten to save for firewood and by the time I got home I didn't want to sort back through it all to save what little bit there would be.

I did save one 9' section out of the larger tree to mill up sometime.

I did then get to crank the splitter and fill my 6'x12' dump trailer Saturday evening.

Got up this morning and stacked all that wood. Then we filled the dump trailer, well, 3/4 full, 3 more times and stacked it all. I'm estimating we split and stacked about 3 cords of wood this weekend.

I'm mad at myself for not taking pictures of any of it. I'll have to do that tomorrow. This splitter is a beast.

It has a 18 hp Wisconson twin cylinder engine, large ram with a cycle time of just under 20 seconds for full extention/retraction but I'm only splitting 16" wood so much less time than that while spitting.

It is set to run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and even there, it split every thing we put on it slowing down only slightly on the worst of the large rounds.

I had a bust of a weekend as far as firewood is concerned, but had fun none the less.
Saturday I was set to cut some maple that's been down for a while and scavenge some dead standing oak at the neighbors, but got a call from mom that she need help moving some large stuff. It poured rain so better off inside moving stuff.
Sunday went to a neighboring Fire Depts pancake breakfast fundraiser, took my son to the valley railroad for the Thomas the tank engine event, he was bouncing off the walls he was so happy.

I spent 15 hours Sat. and 11 hours Sun. sitting in a combine harvesting corn, watching the neighbor drive by 3 times a day with trailer loads of Oak he was cutting on the farm 2 miles south of me. :censored:

my new storage trailer arrived! $650 later.....

fired up the beast and did some wiggling to get it where i wanted it, as the semi couldnt do it....tandem duallys slide across the ground like butter!

i have to admit, a friend of mine told me to put a 5th wheel plate on a 3/4 truck to move it around the property..... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: he's not one who's been around the 'real' equipment picture....3/4 and 1 tons are tonka toys on our place....

but anyways, another day of musical batteries, and some chasing of various fluids, i won the battle...gotta love old equipment....

now it's time to empty the garage and get some room! and no, no deer opening day...for the past week there's been alot of "1 shot" late evening target practicing going on around here....

Nice looking deer.. Congrats!!!!

This weekend is opening gun season. I always spend it with my kids.]

Left the guns in the truck and spent Fri, Sat, Sunday cutting. We took out about three full cords of Maple. Something is going on with the Maple Trees in the area. First the Elm, then the oaks and ash now the maple trees have a rot up the center.

ericjeeper, Congrats on the deer. It's nice to take the kids out like that. They'll remember that for many years to come.

I am at work and the deer pictures are blocked.... I had a buck attack me Sat. I will post pictures tonight of my wife's deer that almost killed me.

I had my wood guy stop over with the 6 cords of oak and hard maple...the stack sure does look nice!At a 100$ a cord I'm not gonna biotch.

So as it has been we went to find some big bull gills.
The boat had icing up issues ,but that was overcome.
I'll let the pics say the rest....2 full days on the water...grilled brauts on the boat Sat. and chicken on Sun.
nov23rd067-1.jpg

nov23rd006.jpg

nov23rd077.jpg

nov23rd078.jpg

openwater091554.jpg

openwater091583.jpg

openwater091599.jpg

I had my wood guy stop over with the 6 cords of oak and hard maple...the stack sure does look nice!At a 100$ a cord I'm not gonna biotch.

So as it has been we went to find some big bull gills.
The boat had icing up issues ,but that was overcome.
I'll let the pics say the rest....2 full days on the water...grilled brauts on the boat Sat. and chicken on Sun.

Wow! I haven't seen Sunfish like that in years. Nothing like catching a bunch of them for a great meal. Those would be great smoked.

I'd be buying my wood too if I could spend a day on the lake and a great time like that.

Great catch and nice pictures. :clap:

Back