11 HP or 15 HP...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Need a new engine on my version of the Split-Fire wood splitter. I can get a 11 HP Lifan for $309 cdn or 15 HP Lifan for $329 cdn. Both are horizontal shaft and have electric start with low oil shutdown. They are red and white just like the Honda's. I currently have a 16 gpm pump on my splitter. I understand my pump needs a minimum of 8 HP but am wondering if I should go with the 15 HP instead of the 11 HP. Would the 15 HP use that much more fuel?

What do you all think?

If cycle time is important to you and your have a two stage pump the 15 hp may be a little better suited for you. Your pump will kick down and split anything your splitter is rated for but the 15 hp will speed you up a bit. Not sure about fuel consumption but I could imagine there would be much difference. I just built a splitter my self and i actaly salvaged a 11 hp brigs off of a portable generator so far i have been very pleased. Split a mess of knotty peacan the other day without a hicup. Hope this helps good luck.

Really, about the only thing you will accomplish with the 15 HP is to use more fuel. However, if you ever wanted to go to a larger pump, you would need the bigger motor. They recommend at least 13 hp for a 22 gpm pump and 15 I think for a 28 gpm pump, so you would have that aspect covered with the bigger motor.

My splitter has a 16 gpm pump and came with an 8 hp motor which did just fine until loaned to a friend who blew it up. I now have a 13HP Honda on it and am looking for a cheap 22 gpm pump.
That xtra 5 hp really does make a difference in fuel consumption!
Just my opinion. Ted

you wont see any difference in the speed but you probably will in the amount of fuel used. its nice to have a moter big enough that if you want to go with a bigger pump some day you can. if it was me i would use the 11 BILL

By "My version" I assume it is a splitter you made,or possibly one of those Harbor freight ones.
I have a Split Fire 3465 that has an 11 GPM pump and it has a Honda 6.5 Hp engine. So far I have not found nothing this splitter will not split(I am sure there is a round out there some where to prove me wrong). This splitter is compared to a typical 16 GPM/22GPM splitter. That is because it has a little less power on the return stroke. This will split using a four way wedge or back to a 2 way wedge. I can split a long time with that 6.5 Honda,I love this splitter. Turbo 885 saw it run Saturday,ma-be he will comment on it. The biggest splitter they make is a 4490. This has a 16GPM pump that is the same as a typical 24GPM/32GPM pump. This splitter only uses a 9 HP Honda. I believe the secret is in the Wedge design and the small point the round is placed against,so you are only using pressure on a small part of the log,compared to pushing the whole round. If your design is close to the actual Split Fire I would assume you could get by with a 9 or 10 HP engine.

My splitter is a copy of the Split-Fire 4290. Not a Harbor Freight. I had an older 8 HP Tecumseh snow blower that I used and I could stall it out. There's no doubt that 8 HP was a little tired when I got it but decided to use it and replace it when it died which is what happened now. Everyone that has seen my splitter work has been impressed. They are impressed with how fast it is. I was too and that's why I made one.

Thanks for all the opinions. Keep them coming.

Unless you see yourself using a larger pump in the future, you will have no need to go larger than the 11hp. The 15hp will only gain you more fuel consumption. It will not increase the speed of the splitter without a larger pump or turning the pump faster and most pumps are not rated for any more rpm than a typical 11hp motor will turn (~3600).

Bottom line - the 15hp will gain you nothing over the 11hp if you stay with your current setup.

I Your pump will kick down and split anything your splitter is rated for but the 15 hp will speed you up a bit.

Not trying to pick a fight - but this quote is simply not true.

The supplier said he would give me the 15HP for $329 cdn instead of the $349 cdn as I originally asked for a 13HP they said they had but no longer do. I think I will get the 15HP for $329 as it's only $20 more than the 11HP priced at $309.

I will let you all know how I make out. I'm going to get the engine sometime today.

Got it! I also had to get a new pump bracket. Anybody know what size bolts I need to bolt the bracket to the engine with as well as the bolts need to bolt the pump to the bracket. I think they are 3/8 on the bracket to engine and 5/16 on the pump to bracket but not sure of thread size. eg. 3/8X16 or 3/8X20 or 3/8X4.

Thanks!

You'll have to check for yourself to make sure but I'm pretty sure they are metric threads in the engine casting. You can fine them at any foreign motorcycle or ATV shop.

Latest posts

Back