12' cross cut /Yes 12'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veteran

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Found a used cross cut at a G sale for $300.00 think I paid too much?

Not bad shape been sharpened a few times, sure glad I never had to run one of these.

You probably didn't pay too much, there are some collectors that pay top dollar for the longer ones. I bought an Atkins 7 footer in Merlin three years ago for $100 but it has both of the original handles with the long lead handle on the pusher side. It was used in the big timber around Cave Junction.

I've wondered if these things are worth anything. I have a 7ft and a 6ft. Really old ones too and in excellent shape. I found them here on my family farm. I'm the fifth generation of my family here. They we're just laying up in a hay manger. I have horse plows, wooden wagon wheels, oxen yokes, etc.

Wating for the pickers to show up at the door. :clap:

The 12 footer is an awesome score.

Finding ones in good shape is tough in these parts. Western collegiate timbersports competitors have to use them for competition, so if you want to convert the 6 and 7's to cash, seek out a local team, or me.

My father paid a whopping $1.00 for a new 6-foot crosscut saw with 3 handles, back when Schafer Bros. went out of business, in the early sixties, I believe, in Brady, WA, near Elma. I told my father that was the only thing I cared about inheriting, and it's hanging in my garage now. Fortunately, my folks are still alive.

If any of y'awl know where Vaughan Manufacturing is in Elma, WA, that is Schafer's old shop. The old roundhouse was still standing the last time I saw it, back in 2002. And it still looked good.

As a young kid, I knew a few of the old saw hands from the days of the Misery Whip, and a lot of them were almost deformed, they had so much upper body muscle. They looked almost like a hunchback, from spending day after day pulling the misery whip. I lived right behind Ira Blackwell, the son of Cy Blackwell, who, as the story goes, was the first one to bring steam to the Pacific Northwest. It was a single drum Dolbeer donkey, which was inspired by the old steam-powered capstains, which hoisted up the anchors on the steam ships. As the story goes, Cy Blackwell also invented the haulback, as well as numerous forms of horrible profanity, threats and other types of motivation for stubbrorn oxen in the days before steam.

But, again I digress.

I will keep my eyes open for anything next weekend. It is the big swap meet and yard sale weekend. I would like to get a normal sized misery whip and learn to sharpen it. I have a friend who says he knows how.

Most of the swap meet stuff is either junk, or overpriced, or both. I will hit the yard sales.

I have a few old saws here, but nothing of the 12' variety. I was able to get rid of several at our neighborhood yard sale last week.

Yardsalesaws005.jpg

Also have a few wooden buck saws too.

Yardsalesaws007.jpg

And some hand saws.

Yardsalesaws006.jpg

And some metal buck saws (it appears I have some issues with saws....).

Yardsalesaws008.jpg

If anyone wants any, speak up!

Back