14" PICCO chain/bar on a MS250

• Thread starter Deleted member 27831
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 27831

I've had a MS250 for a couple years now and its gone through a chain or two. I also have a MS200 with a 14" PICCO bar/chain, and am planning on buying a MS192 with the same bar/chain in the near future. I was thinking that if I could use a PICCO chain on the MS250 that then all three would have the same parts, making my life a little easier.

What would I have to do to swap this out? Do I need a new sprocket?

We do mostly brush clearing with them, some small trees (< 10"), is there anything I can/should do to make the chain spin a little faster like a larger sprocket?

Yes, if your 250 has a .325 spur sprocket you need to change that to a picco spur sprocket, but if you have rim&drum you only need a new rim sprocket.

Actually, if you have a .325 spur sprocket don't just get a picco spur, but take the opportunity and change to a rim&drum system and you will save money (in the long run) as well as being able to change back to .325 and then again back to picco so much easier.

Then you need a new picco bar and picco chain as well.

It's usually a good idea to have the same bar mount, chain pitch and gauge for all saws, if possible -- it really simplifies things!

I don't think there's a lot of choices when it comes to what sizes of rims/sprockets that are available, but a 7-pin picco rim should give you higher chain speed than a 7-pin .325, at least unloaded. On the other hand it will take smaller bites and with fewer tooths in the wood. It's also up to your cutting style if it will increase your productivity or not.

Last edited:
Picco is a nice setup on the MS250. I've done that (at times) on mine to match the setup on my MS211. I don't have the info in front of me, but I think there was only one rim sprocket choice for Picco (and two for the spur). Spur sprockets are easier to find for Picco. What I would really like is for someone to make Picco rims in the standard small spline (instead of Stihl mini). Then a setup like an Oregon Powermate drum could switch between Picco and .325 really easily. But use any of the options that works well for you.

Picco is a nice setup on the MS250. I've done that (at times) on mine to match the setup on my MS211. I don't have the info in front of me, but I think there was only one rim sprocket choice for Picco (and two for the spur). Spur sprockets are easier to find for Picco. What I would really like is for someone to make Picco rims in the standard small spline (instead of Stihl mini). Then a setup like an Oregon Powermate drum could switch between Picco and .325 really easily. But use any of the options that works well for you.

That would have been nice, but it isn't possible to make a regular small spline rim that is 6-pin, and 7-pin will be too much on many of the small saws........

I run picco on my carving saw (MS210) and really like it. Very quick cutting little saw, couldnt be happier with it!

Latest posts

Back