14ft Black Walnut 40" on Small end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually get fined if I take buttoffs, truck trimmings or deadwood from any sale I cut for a particular land ownership. So even though I log full time, sometimes I still have to scrounge for stove wood

I actually get fined if I take buttoffs, truck trimmings or deadwood from any sale I cut for a particular land ownership. So even though I log full time, sometimes I still have to scrounge for stove wood

wow, I never been in that position. I can't use all the wood I could get. LOs are funny bout liability now so what I leave usualy rots as they afraid to let joe homeowner cut on they property.

Friday I was over to the logging site .4 mile from my house. The boys had to rip a log because it was to big for the mill to take. I asked them about any walnut logs they see that are in super premium category like is alleged in this thread. Nathan told me, "Oh sure every few years we will see ONE like that". FWIW, they are taking 3 semis a day out of this site.

I have permission from the landowner for the next two years to cut firewood.:rock:

Obligatory action shot.

2drib04.jpg

The small staging area.

2zqr4a8.jpg

Second haul of the day. Their loader makes it too easy.

mh3h3k.jpg

Hey where are ya in WI and would you happen to know what mill? I'm in SE and I cut for Algoma lumber. I've sent about 700 logs that size to them over the last month. I'm just surprised their particular mill can't saw it. I make logs like that all the time.

I had no idea this thread had so many LULLZ! This thread is bangin'...$7,000 logs cut with a "blade"...secret ninja log loading certification...pftt! EPIC right there!

Last edited:
I had no idea this thread had so many LULLZ! This thread is bangin'...$7,000 logs cut with a "blade"...secret ninja log loading certification...pftt! EPIC right there!

There's probably a super secret undercover forester lurking about somewhere with trusty can of blue paint and clipboard or data recorder....Maybe that's for a later installment. :msp_ohmy:

Hey where are ya in WI and would you happen to know what mill? I'm in SE and I cut for Algoma lumber. I've sent about 700 logs that size to them over the last month. I'm just surprised their particular mill can't saw it. I make logs like that all the time.

They were sending logs to several mills depending on the grade/use. The real good veneer were going North of Green Bay, I forgot where they said, my failing memory thinks it started with an M???:msp_unsure:

They have to be pretty good to truck that far as it must be pushing 200 miles from here. I am just North of Lacrosse WI.

I wonder if its going to Algoma. They are just north of Green Bay and I was in the truck with the forester the other day when he was setting up a deal to buy some logs from out that way. I can't think of who would be north starting with an M. There are a lot of little mills up there that I don't know about though.

I wonder if its going to Algoma. They are just north of Green Bay and I was in the truck with the forester the other day when he was setting up a deal to buy some logs from out that way. I can't think of who would be north starting with an M. There are a lot of little mills up there that I don't know about though.

The town started with "M", not the name of the mill.

It's even better ifn yer listening to background music along with the "Highly Valuable "Black" Walnut Tree" skit. :big_smile:

14 footer and 40" -

ok, let's kick this tin can some moh

an exserp from osu forestry

"While most mills have electronic equipment or other procedures to avoid striking embedded objects, there is usually no way a buyer can determine the presence of such objects when examining the standing tree. Unless the tree is of exceptional value, most buyers do not want to assume the risk that all or part of the value of the tree will be lost because it contains foreign objects."

yup, waved muh Tandy scanner over dat 40 incher and it read clear asa bell :laugh:

here enddith the lesson

shade and lightning protection. yup, that's the ticket. :msp_sneaky:

Pony Express must be short handed. Still waiting :msp_sleep:

Time for some Robert Service

The Yukoner​

He burned a hole in frozen muck.
He pierced the icy mould,
And there in six-foot dirt he struck
A sack or so of gold.

He burned holes in the Decalogue,
And then it came about,
For Fortunes's just a lousy rogue,
His "pocket" petered out.

And lo! 'twas but a year all told,
When there in a shadow grim,
In six feet deep of icy mould,
They burned a hole for him.

mistakes are mine

One for the road

The Shooting of Dan McGrew

A bunch of the boys were whooping it up in the Malamute Saloon;
The kid that handles the music-box was hitting a jag-time tune;
Back in the bar, in a solo game, sat Dangerous Dan McGrew,
And watching his luck was his light-of-love, the lady known as Lou.

When out of the night, which was fifty below, and into the din and the glare,
There stumbled a miner fresh from the creeks, dog-dirty, and loaded for bear,
He looked like a man with a foot in the grave and scarcely the strength of a louse,
Yet he tilted a poke of dust on the bar, and he called for drinks for the house.
There was none could place the stranger's face, though we searched ourselves for a clue;
But we drank his health, and the last to drink was Dangerous Dan McGrew.

There's men that somehow just grip you eyes, and hold them hard like a spell;
And such was he, and he looked to me like a man who had lived in hell;
With a face most hair, and the dreary stare of a dog whose day is done.
As he watered the green stuff in his glass, and the drops fell one by one.
Then I got to figgering who he was, and wondering what he'd do.
And I turned my head- and there watching him was the lady that's known as Lou.

His eyes went rubbering round the room, and he seemed in a kind of daze,
Til at last that old piano fell in the way of his wandering gaze.
The rag-time kid was having a drink; there was no one else on the stool,
So the stranger stumbles across the room, and flops down there like a fool.
In a buckskin shirt, that was glazed with dirt he sat, and I saw him sway;
Then he glutched the keys with his talon hands - my God! but that man could play.

Were you ever out in the Great Alone, when the moon was awful clear,
And the icy mountains hemmed you in with a silence you most could HEAR;
With only the howl of a timber wolf, and you camped there in the cold,
A half-dead thing in a stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold;
While high overhead, green, yellow and red, the North Lights swept in bars? -
Then you've a haunch what the music meant... hunger and night and the stars.

And hunger not of the belly kind, that's banished with bacon and beans,
But the gnawing hunger of lonely men for a home and all that it means;
For a fireside far from the cares that are. for walls and a roof above;
But oh! so cramful of cosy joy, and crowned with a women's love -
A women dearer thatn all the world, and true as Heaven is true -
(God! how ghastly she looks through her rouge, - the lady that's know as Lou.)

Then on a sudden the music changed, so soft that you could scarce could hear;
But you felt your life had been looted clean of all that it once held dear;
That someone had stolen the women you loved; that her love was a devil's lie;
That your guts were gone, and the best for you was to crawl away and die.
'Twas the crowning cry of a heart's despair, and it thrilled you through and through -
"I guess I'll make it a spread misere," said Dangerous Dan McGrew.

The music almost died away... thne it burst like a pent-up flood;
And it seemed to say, "Repay, repay," and my eyes were blind with blood.
The thought came back of an ancient wrong, and it stung like a frozen lash,
And the lust awoke to kill, to kill... then the music stopped with a crash,
And the stranger turned, and his eyes they burned in a most peciliar way;

In a buckskin shirt that was glazed with dirt he sat, and I saw him sway;
Then his lips went in in a kind of grin, and he spoke, and spoke, and his voice was calm,
And "Boys," says he, "you don't know me, and none of you care a damn;
But I want to state, and my words are stright, and I'll bet my poke they're true,
That one of you is a hound of hell... and that one is Dan McGrew."

Then I ducked my head, and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark,
And a women screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stifff and stark.
Pitched on his head, and pumped full of lead, was Dangerous Dan McGrew.
While the man from the creeks lay clutched to the breast of the lady that's known as Lou.

These are the simple facts of the case, and I guess I ought to know.
They say that the stranger was crazed with "hooch", and I'm not denying it's so.
I'm not so wise as the lawyer guys, but strictly between us two -
The women that kissed him and - pinched his poke - was the lady that's known as Lou.

mistakes mine

Latest posts

Back