15% ethanol destroys 2 cycle.... good read.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EPA is an evil and closed minded entity, Hell bent on the elimination of all combustion engines .

The EPA does not mandate ethanol in gasoline. It does approve/disapprove blends as a fuel and it does not approve E-15 for non-automotive applications.

In regards to the non-adjustable carbs, I once heard they were restricted because people were purposely leaning them out to get them to cut faster, then trying to turn the saw in for warranty work after it locked up.

And regarding the supposed "renewability" of the resource, let's then look at what it takes to grow corn at the scale of ethanol. Very detrimental. No nutrients put back into the soil, an immense amount of chemical used, which destroys the land, as opposed to enriching it, like proper farming does.

Soooooo, your saying corn grown to produce ethanol ruins the land, but if it's fed to cattle it does not? What exactly is your idea of proper farming? Ethanol is a bad thing for occasionally used small engines, but don't tell me growing corn destroys the land.

Growing corn on the scale required to impact our fuel supply damages more than the land. You have to use an enormous amount of land to grow that amount of corn and nothing else is grown with it, creating a monoculture situation. Corn is a heavy feeder requiring LOTS of fertilizer. Traditionally in a food producing situation, corn crops would be rotated with nitrogen fixers like beans. At this scale GMO (genetically modified organism) corn is used and the pollen travels to the food crops of other farmers, contaminating their crops and putting them in violation of the patents that Monsanto and other agro-business giants hold on the GMO corn. I could go on and on, but won't because this is a chainsaw forum, BUT corn grown in this way DOES destroy land, habitat, freedom all sorts of things.:)

That is very interesting and enough to convince me that I will never use ethanol again in any of my 2 stroke engines. I had been using it in my cheap crap leaf blower and weed eater but no more especially the saws.

My dad used it in his cheap crap leaft blower and it ate the fuel lines in the tank. Granted it was a $50 poulan from walmart but I'd never seen anything like it......

My dad used it in his cheap crap leaft blower and it ate the fuel lines in the tank. Granted it was a $50 poulan from walmart but I'd never seen anything like it......

Oh yes , MANY times.snowmobiles , saws , two strokes in general you name it. You want to kill a small engine ? , run E-10 in it and then store it for a yr. Say buh bye....to the plastic and rubber components, fuel lines , carb boots etc. AND the phase seperation that occurs with E-10 is not treatable with startron, stabil or any other additive , your simply buying snakeoil. Suck some more water tainted fuel through your motor.... thanks Ethanol lobby.:angrysoapbox:

Those of us in the know must contact our Legislators about this very serious problem with ethanol in our gas. The suits in Washington haven't a clue to what this stuff does to small engines, and could care less. But we here in this household rely heavily on a 2 cycle engine to heat our butts!!

Ethanol production is big business just in agriculture. Then there are all the spin off markets that have resulted from the so called green fuel. I think it's terrible that good food sources are wasted for the production of Ethanol.:bang:

Growing corn on the scale required to impact our fuel supply damages more than the land. You have to use an enormous amount of land to grow that amount of corn and nothing else is grown with it, creating a monoculture situation. Corn is a heavy feeder requiring LOTS of fertilizer. Traditionally in a food producing situation, corn crops would be rotated with nitrogen fixers like beans. At this scale GMO (genetically modified organism) corn is used and the pollen travels to the food crops of other farmers, contaminating their crops and putting them in violation of the patents that Monsanto and other agro-business giants hold on the GMO corn. I could go on and on, but won't because this is a chainsaw forum, BUT corn grown in this way DOES destroy land, habitat, freedom all sorts of things.:)

Cross pollination can be a big problem, it's real bad for canola due to different herbicide resistant varieties being grown close together and becoming cross pollinated between fields.

And regarding the supposed "renewability" of the resource, let's then look at what it takes to grow corn at the scale of ethanol. Very detrimental. No nutrients put back into the soil, an immense amount of chemical used, which destroys the land, as opposed to enriching it, like proper farming does.

Soooooo, your saying corn grown to produce ethanol ruins the land, but if it's fed to cattle it does not? What exactly is your idea of proper farming? Ethanol is a bad thing for occasionally used small engines, but don't tell me growing corn destroys the land.

Cows, pigs, chickens, etc make their own fertilizer

Cows, pigs, chickens, etc make their own fertilizer

Damn straight. I'm getting some pigs in a few weeks, and I've leveled an acre and a half of saplings for them. They'll take care of the stumps, no problem there, and leave me with a wonderfully fertilized parcel that I'll plant on next year. IMHO, fertile soil is the best bank account one can have.

Everybody please read this book. It goes into great detail on, among many other things, the very harsh realities of corn as a crop. The same author also wrote this book, which deals with potatoes in a similar manner. Also on my recommended reading list is this one, by a different author, which deals with the structure of the modern American city and the many ways it doesn't work any more. This stuff is all informative and easy to read, and is neither apocalyptic nor preachy.

Everybody please read this book. It goes into great detail on, among many other things, the very harsh realities of corn as a crop. The same author also wrote this book, which deals with potatoes in a similar manner. Also on my recommended reading list is this one, by a different author, which deals with the structure of the modern American city and the many ways it doesn't work any more. This stuff is all informative and easy to read, and is neither apocalyptic nor preachy.

I KNEW IT! Well played!

I second that review. Not "conspiracy theory" by any means. The guy's writes columns for the New York Times all the time. Real good stuff; a concise, easy read.

BTW, at this rate, by the end of this thread, everyone will have dreadlocks, be eating granola, and will trade their boots and saws in for sandals and bongo drums.

Just kidding!!! I'm gonna go make chips with .404" chain!

BTW, at this rate, by the end of this thread, everyone will have dreadlocks, be eating granola, and will trade their boots and saws in for sandals and bongo drums.
Wait, you mean you don't ...... nevermind...:msp_biggrin:

Well, I left 10% ethanol in both my old riding mower and my cheap trimmer over winter, both started right up.. :msp_unsure:

Well, I left 10% ethanol in both my old riding mower and my cheap trimmer over winter, both started right up.. :msp_unsure:

Go pull the fuel lines now. That way you can replace them before the mush gets in the carbs. If it does your best case is a rebuild. If it plugs the main jet, worst case, you just smoked the motor. I do hope they are four stroke type.

Those of us in the know must contact our Legislators about this very serious problem with ethanol in our gas. The suits in Washington haven't a clue to what this stuff does to small engines, and could care less. But we here in this household rely heavily on a 2 cycle engine to heat our butts!!

If you think you can influence any of those congress critters about real life, you haven't done your homework!!!

World conquest is the subject you need to study. Start with the book "World Revolution" by Nesta Webster, also read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin.
I can point you to many others if your interested.

FYI, a mechanic friend of mine who runs a shop around here, who's very much against ethanol in fuel to the point that he separates his fuel for all of his gas motors, got a Poulan Wild Thing (or something similar) as a trade-in four years ago. Upon receiving it, he dump the fuel, added ethanol-free fuel into it, with some stabilizer, and he pulled it off the shelf 4 years later, and it fired right up.

Go pull the fuel lines now. That way you can replace them before the mush gets in the carbs. If it does your best case is a rebuild. If it plugs the main jet, worst case, you just smoked the motor. I do hope they are four stroke type.

I keep an eye on them, I've done that with the old rider for several years now, no problems with fuel line or anything. The only problem I had was when I drained it one year, the carb bowl rusted and had to clean it out.

The trimmer is doing well also, no rotten fuel lines or anything.

FWIW, I run canned fuel in the 441, the 500, and the FS250, and 3400 trimmers.

Back