1800 vs 1590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtrees

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm ready to drop the ball on a new chipper to replace my 1400xl. It's been a great machine. 2300 hrs. It's gonna start costing me more than it's worth. It says it's a 15" but I've watched 17 maybe 18" go through it. Never ran a 1590. Ran many 1800. Do they compare? What will the both of them actually take. My trade in will be a 2000xl. Vermeer is less than 5 miles away from my home. Haven't found a brush bandit dealership under 30 miles away. Honest opinions appreciated.

I'm ready to drop the ball on a new chipper to replace my 1400xl. It's been a great machine. 2300 hrs. It's gonna start costing me more than it's worth. It says it's a 15" but I've watched 17 maybe 18" go through it. Never ran a 1590. Ran many 1800. Do they compare? What will the both of them actually take. My trade in will be a 2000xl. Vermeer is less than 5 miles away from my home. Haven't found a brush bandit dealership under 30 miles away. Honest opinions appreciated.

There is no comparison, the Brush Bandit is the superior machine. I'm picking up a brand new 1890 for a few days tomorrow, you couldn't give me a new Vermeer. I've been through enough with them to know better. Other than crummy salesmanship, and poor service, the machines speak for themselves. My bandit rep tells me that they can't get a vermeer dealership anywhere to go side by side. They always cancel with a lame excuse......yeah....the machine.

That's my daily slam on vermeer anyway...good luck.

There is no comparison, the Brush Bandit is the superior machine. I'm picking up a brand new 1890 for a few days tomorrow, you couldn't give me a new Vermeer. I've been through enough with them to know better. Other than crummy salesmanship, and poor service, the machines speak for themselves. My bandit rep tells me that they can't get a vermeer dealership anywhere to go side by side. They always cancel with a lame excuse......yeah....the machine.

That's my daily slam on vermeer anyway...good luck.

You ever run a 1590?

Go bandit. I'm 2 hours from the bandit factory. Maybe its because I'm close, but their sales/service guys are awesome. I have only run the 1390 and was very impressed.

Go bandit. I'm 2 hours from the bandit factory. Maybe its because I'm close, but their sales/service guys are awesome. I have only run the 1390 and was very impressed.

Cannot find a dealer to save my life. Closest one is at least 30 miles away. And you pull onto their lot and a bandit 90 is the only thing sitting there. I prefer a bandit for their reliability but vermeer is a lot closer.

Cannot find a dealer to save my life. Closest one is at least 30 miles away. And you pull onto their lot and a bandit 90 is the only thing sitting there. I prefer a bandit for their reliability but vermeer is a lot closer.

If you go vermeer, you're going to need the shop right around the corner.

Haven't run the 1590 yet, it is a potential choice of mine, but the design is superior to vermeer as it the company at large.

I had a 1400xl for a couple years through an employer.....I was impressed, until I had to actually deal with vermeer on it.

we just got a new 1590 with the cummins in it. had it eating dead spruce with the crane about 2 weeks ago or so and it tore it up. i was impressed and it throws chips like a mofo. i mean throws chip. good machine.

i personally wouldn't go with the vermeer knowing that the bandit is out there. we also run a 1890 brute. that thing is a stud for sure.

love me the woodsman though for whole tree chippers though. don't look past a woodsman.

we just got a new 1590 with the cummins in it. had it eating dead spruce with the crane about 2 weeks ago or so and it tore it up. i was impressed and it throws chips like a mofo. i mean throws chip. good machine.

i personally wouldn't go with the vermeer knowing that the bandit is out there. we also run a 1890 brute. that thing is a stud for sure.

love me the woodsman though for whole tree chippers though. don't look past a woodsman.

Oh yeah. Seem me them woodsman before. Local municipal uses one. Good machine huh?

Oh yeah. Seem me them woodsman before. Local municipal uses one. Good machine huh?

like nothing i've ever seen. we run a grapple 790 and what i've seen that thing process in 10 mins is redonkulous. filled up a 100yd trailer in like 45 mins one time on a crane gig. may have been less than that even, i forget but even the 18x is just a nasty machine. we run woodsman for the most part but that being said 3 bandits have been the latest additions.

the feedwheel set up on the woodsman is unparalleled and i believe it can out chip all other chippers at the 15inch plus category....

nasty machines.

like nothing i've ever seen. we run a grapple 790 and what i've seen that thing process in 10 mins is redonkulous. filled up a 100yd trailer in like 45 mins one time on a crane gig. may have been less than that even, i forget but even the 18x is just a nasty machine. we run woodsman for the most part but that being said 3 bandits have been the latest additions.

the feedwheel set up on the woodsman is unparalleled and i believe it can out chip all other chippers at the 15inch plus category....

nasty machines.
I can't make up my mind and your not helping much. Now I'm gonna have to check this woodsman 18x?

i know they came up with a new number scheme for naming their chippers so i am not sure what the 18+ inch chippers are called but it would only make sense for you to look into the best machine for what you want it to do.....

i know they came up with a new number scheme for naming their chippers so i am not sure what the 18+ inch chippers are called but it would only make sense for you to look into the best machine for what you want it to do.....

Eat trees and pack em into the back of my trucks. That's what I'm looking for

I've always ran vermeers cause the dealership is about an hour drive from here. Never ran a bandit, I'd sure like to demo one but I'm not aware of any dealership anywhere close to me. Never had any major issues with my 1800 or vermeers sales/service. I've put 20 inch wood in that thing with no problem and the big feed table is nice, especially for crane pics. Probably only going to get 1 more season out of it (1900 hrs) and trade it in on another one

Last edited:
What about Morbark? I have a older morbark, and I love the service I get from the dealer. They are about 2.5hrs aways from me. They had there demo model 15 at the symposium.

I've always ran vermeers cause the dealership is about an hour drive from here. Never ran a bandit, I'd sure like to demo one but I'm not aware of any dealership anywhere close to me. Never had any major issues with my 1800 or vermeers sales/service. I've put 20 inch wood in that thing with no problem and the big feed table is nice, especially for crane pics. Probably only going to get 1 more season out of it (1900 hrs) and trade it in on another one

You go to the dealership in Medina right? OBV I guess. I think those folks there are pretty ok myself. As for Vermeers chipper quality, well IDK I only run my old 1230A but she runs n runs n runs........Although she hates it when it gets much below freezing. I guess this is of no help to the original poster. I have always been a bandit fan but would prolly be a fan of almost any new chipper :laugh:

You go to the dealership in Medina right? OBV I guess. I think those folks there are pretty ok myself. As for Vermeers chipper quality, well IDK I only run my old 1230A but she runs n runs n runs........Although she hates it when it gets much below freezing. I guess this is of no help to the original poster. I have always been a bandit fan but would prolly be a fan of almost any new chipper :laugh:

yup Medina. I've always run vermeers just cause they're the closest to me. Used to run 1250's before going with an 1800, if I trade in for another 1800 it'll be my 3rd one. Way back when it was chuck n ducks I had an old m+m that I wish I never sold, looking for something super lightweight to pull with a bucket truck for light trim jobs. I hate pulling a 9000 lb chipper for light duty stuff and also be able to get 2 crews going. I'd love to demo a Bandit but it looks like the closest to me is southern OH about four hours south. Didn't do a search in PA so there may be one closer out east

Just curious why it's so important to have a dealer nearby? The only time I ever really needed mine was when I had a problem with the computer (ecu, whatever) and they couldn't fix it anyway.. had to go to another place that works on deere engines. Other than that, if it's a dealer part, I just order it up.. Just thinking out loud here.

Edit: Oh, and the bandit dealership I deal with are a bunch of thieves. I needed a "powerbelt" and they wanted $480. I got it somewhere else for two something. Dealer= bad, IMO.

Last edited:
Just curious why it's so important to have a dealer nearby? The only time I ever really needed mine was when I had a problem with the computer (ecu, whatever) and they couldn't fix it anyway.. had to go to another place that works on deere engines. Other than that, if it's a dealer part, I just order it up.. Just thinking out loud here.

Edit: Oh, and the bandit dealership I deal with are a bunch of thieves. I needed a "powerbelt" and they wanted $480. I got it somewhere else for two something. Dealer= bad, IMO.

For me at least a major breakdown would be the main reason. Now that I think about it you got a really good point there. Only been a small handfull of times where I needed to drag a piece of equipment to the dealer usually just order whatever part I need

For me at least a major breakdown would be the main reason. Now that I think about it you got a really good point there. Only been a small handfull of times where I needed to drag a piece of equipment to the dealer usually just order whatever part I need

That's what I'm saying. I mean if ya can't change blades, oil and filters, ya got some issues that might manifest themselves in other areas of the game. Even a clutch is pretty much cake. Not saying I'm the most handy guy, but you get my point.

Back