181/288 hybrid not producing expected power.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

A mate of mine has persevered with old Husky 380 and 480 saws for so long it's not funny. I gave him a go of my 288 and he loved it so much I kept a lookout for another one.

Anyway, a guy swapped me a 181 for my remaining 380 parts and it was so tidy that I decided to get my mate interested. So we found a really good 288XP barrel and piston, put a new ring on, did the main bearings, crank seals and expected it to have the same grunt as my 288, but it just falls short.

The only thing I can think of it that the carbs are different between the 181 and the 288. Does anyone know what was different between the 2 models apart from piston and jug?

It's a real head scratcher. It's got great compression, it's running the same .404 chain as mine, but just won't perform the same. Mine's bone-stock, as far as I know, apart from removing the spark arrestor gauze from the muffler, so it's not as if it's been modified.

thanks,

Harry

Harry, I fitted a Bailey's aftermarket 288 kit to my 181 and it runs fine.

The last 181 and first 288 list the carb as the same.

You may have to look a little further. Has the barrel had any work performed on it, spark plug, ignition, etc?

BTW, how's things going down there mate?

Hi,

I have reassembled 3 181's and two 288's recently from parts saws, and apart from P/C and throttle linkage, there's not much significant difference.

So your upgraded 288 should run the same imo. Is the muffler not restricted ?
maybe you can swap the carb to see if there's an improvement.
can't think of anything else right now.

Hi,

I have reassembled 3 181's and two 288's recently from parts saws, and apart from P/C and throttle linkage, there's not much significant difference.

So your upgraded 288 should run the same imo. Is the muffler not restricted ?
maybe you can swap the carb to see if there's an improvement.
can't think of anything else right now.

Yeah, I was thinking carb. Was the carb from the 181 rebuilt along with the rest of the saw? Might just need a kit and some cleaning.

Other thing is that the new ring might need to break in a bit, while the other saw is at peak compression. Can you measure the two saws? For that matter, do you have a tach to verify they are both hitting the same RPM? If one is 500-1000 lower it would lag behind the other.

Latest posts

Back