19 fire fighters perished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
19 Hot Shot fire fighters have died in a wild land fire not too very far from where I live. The towns effected are Yarnell / Peeple's Valley in AZ.

Both are very small towns and are off the beaten path. I've driven / ridden thru both countless times.

The fire started Friday and was caused by a lightning strike. Word is, the town of Yarnell is heavily damaged and/or destroyed. The community is devastated.

The Hot Shot crew is Granite Mountain Hot Shots, based out of Prescott.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of those lost.

RIP!!

Saw the chilling news here, too. God bless them and lift up their families in this time of need.

I just saw the story. Makes me sick to think about.

I remember practicing deploying our emergency shelters and praying you'd never have to use it. I can only imagine...

I just saw the story. Makes me sick to think about.

I remember practicing deploying our emergency shelters and praying you'd never have to use it. I can only imagine...

Doing safety/protection drills during training we were playing silly buggers but it sobers you up a bit when the instructor goes "you're dead, you're dead, you're dead..." and it really hits home when you read of things like this.

Doing safety/protection drills during training we were playing silly buggers but it sobers you up a bit when the instructor goes "you're dead, you're dead, you're dead..." and it really hits home when you read of things like this.

That is the God's aweful truth. We have all been through drills before and sorry to say I am sure many of us have blown them off as simply drills. When it hits home in reality we all need to think about those drills. Prayers and best wishes to the affected families.

Bill

Just horrible. That must be a record or near a record for the most deaths on a wildfire.

Harry K

Second. The greatest was 28 in one spot in the Idaho blowup of 1910. Over 70 firefighters total died in the fire.

Last edited:

One of the most unpleasant and sobering times of my life was spent sitting in my fire station waiting for the rest of our relief crew to arrive and hearing over the Tasmania Fire Service radio the calls of a crew caught in a burn over situation. I personally knew the three members and had attended my basic course with one of them. I was 20Km away, yet sitting along side them also. Thankfully training and crew cohesion prevailed that day and they all lived.
We are a brother and sisterhood, no matter where we live. Sadly some may forfeit their lives so others may live.
Please remember these and all Firefighters on the fourth of May - International Firefighters Day.
When I am called to duty, God
Wherever flames may rage
Give me the strength to save some life
Whatever be its age
Help me embrace a little child
Before it is too late
Or save an older person from
The horror of that fate
Enable me to be alert and
Hear the weakest shout
And quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out
I want to fill my calling and
To give the best in me
To guard my every neighbor
And protect their property
And if according to your will
I have to lose my life
Please bless with your protecting hand
My children and my wife.

Terrible news from a terrible situation. Prayers to the friends and families, and all those still out there fighting the fires.

Back