Granite Mountain Hot Shot tragedy update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
You may or may not have heard, but the tragedy in regards to the Prescott, AZ. Granite Mountain Hot Shots, has taken a turn for the worse.

Of the 19 wild land fire fighters that perished, only 6 were considered full-time. The 6 that were full-time, will receive more benefits than the 13 that were only part-time employees.

All 19 families of the deceased will receive a federal payment of approx. $328K. This is separate from the millions of dollars that have been collected world-wide, nationally and locally. At some point, it will be divided up and given to the 19 families.

One of the widows of the 13, is going to sue the city of Prescott, because she claims that the city stated that the 13 part-time fire fighters benefit status will be changed to full-time status in order to obtain higher benefits. Of course, the city of Prescott is saying that statement was never made and would be illegal to even do so.

It sounds as if more widows / families of the 13 part-timers may jump on the law-suit bandwagon in an attempt to get full-time employee death benefits.

I have some mixed feelings on this issue, but will not elaborate further at this time, because it may come across as somewhat negative. I'm retired LE and my death benefits were no where even close to what the widows and families may receive.

Anyways, I just wanted to update those of you that may not have heard the most recent information.

Eightweight

Eightweight

ArboristSite Operative
nothing can replace them but the monetary payments will help support the family's time of grief.
Deepest condolences for those lost

t
You may or may not have heard, but the tragedy in regards to the Prescott, AZ. Granite Mountain Hot Shots, has taken a turn for the worse.

Of the 19 wild land fire fighters that perished, only 6 were considered full-time. The 6 that were full-time, will receive more benefits than the 13 that were only part-time employees.

All 19 families of the deceased will receive a federal payment of approx. $328K. This is separate from the millions of dollars that have been collected world-wide, nationally and locally. At some point, it will be divided up and given to the 19 families.

One of the widows of the 13, is going to sue the city of Prescott, because she claims that the city stated that the 13 part-time fire fighters benefit status will be changed to full-time status in order to obtain higher benefits. Of course, the city of Prescott is saying that statement was never made and would be illegal to even do so.

It sounds as if more widows / families of the 13 part-timers may jump on the law-suit bandwagon in an attempt to get full-time employee death benefits.

I have some mixed feelings on this issue, but will not elaborate further at this time, because it may come across as somewhat negative. I'm retired LE and my death benefits were no where even close to what the widows and families may receive.

Anyways, I just wanted to update those of you that may not have heard the most recent information.

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.

Good plan. If you have anything negative to say about the firefighters, their deaths, or the benefits being paid to dependents simply because your death benefits didn't match up it might be best to just keep your comments to yourself.

Last edited:
1Alpha1

1Alpha1

. AS Supporting Member.
Good plan. If you have anything negative to say about the firefighters, their deaths, or the benefits being paid to survivors simply because your death benefits didn't match up it might be best to just keep your comments to yourself.

I was beginning to think that you didn't care about what I posted anymore.

Good to know that I don't need to worry.

Erock

Erock

ArboristSite Operative
It is terrible the lack of compensation for seasonal ff's. I did it for 4 seasons. Loved the work but wasn't a fan of the gov. baggage that came with it and the lack of health, dental.... You name it, a check every 2 weeks was it. Not much incentive if you ask me. My dad always told me a job ain't worth crap unless you're getting good benny's.

RiverRocket

RiverRocket

ArboristSite Guru
It is terrible the lack of compensation for seasonal ff's. I did it for 4 seasons. Loved the work but wasn't a fan of the gov. baggage that came with it and the lack of health, dental.... You name it, a check every 2 weeks was it. Not much incentive if you ask me. My dad always told me a job ain't worth crap unless you're getting good benny's.
I'll add to what your what your dad told you....A Jobs not Worth crap if you don't get recognition for what you do...:msp_wink:

Gologit

Gologit

. AS Supporting Member.
In this day and age, most people are just happy to have a job and a steady paycheck.

Any job recognition is just icing on the cake.

Okay, but what about your statement in the next to last paragraph of your original post? Do you think that maybe, just maybe there was a slight hint of sour grapes there?

The issue of whether or not your death benefits were smaller than the fire fighters isn't even an issue here except to point out the fact that you're mean spirited, completely out of touch with the situation and very self involved.

19 fine young men lost their lives on that fire...and you're grumbling about the dependent's benefits? You should be ashamed of yourself.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

. AS Supporting Member.
Okay, but what about your statement in the next to last paragraph of your original post? Do you think that maybe, just maybe there was a slight hint of sour grapes there?

The issue of whether or not your death benefits were smaller than the fire fighters isn't even an issue here except to point out the fact that you're mean spirited, completely out of touch with the situation and very self involved.

19 fine young men lost their lives on that fire...and you're grumbling about the dependent's benefits? You should be ashamed of yourself.

As much as you'd like to think you know me well enough to make judgement calls, in reality, you don't have a clue. Matter-of-fact, you dislike anyone that has a differing point of view, opinion, or take on a matter other than yours, whether it's saw related or not.

The part-time (seasonal) employees knew exactly what they had signed up for, benefits or not. If they didn't relay that information on to their spouses and families, that's something that is now going to have to be dealt with.

Monies that have been collected is going to be very substantial. Far more than what could ever have been expected. For that, I'm happy for them. But to turn around and sue the community that brought this all together, is just wrong. To divide a community over an employment contract that is clear and concise, is shocking.

And yes, I'm part of that community. That means I'm entitled to an opinion.

RVALUE

RVALUE

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm just curious, but why would a firefighter's life be worth more than a serviceman killed in battle?

Just asking.

Terrible thing all around.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

. AS Supporting Member.
Dano you didn't die on the job so what your death benefits paid are a moot point

Some days, it sure as hell felt like I died on the job.

My point, is that the money collected for the 19 that perished, is well over and above what any basic life insurance benefits they would have been entitled to.

It was the community that took it upon themselves to plan, organize and execute directives, to obtain donated money from all over the world.

I'm very happy that the money collected, will provide a long-lasting, secure financial future, for those effected by the tragedy.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

. AS Supporting Member.
I'm not a firefighter, Law enforcement or military...

But maybe your really just mad because people care more about fire fighters than they do about cops?

If so ask yourself why.

Maybe.....just maybe, it's cause fire fighters don't give out tickets or bust you for drunk driving, or beating up on your spouse, or stealing from another, or committing crimes that cost us taxpayers lots of money.

But hey.......the next time you find your home broken into and you think the intruder is still in the premises, call a fire fighter.

BTW......I'm ex-military and retired LE (29 yrs.) and think of fire fighters as brothers in uniform.

Gologit

Gologit

. AS Supporting Member.
And yes, I'm part of that community. That means I'm entitled to an opinion.

Of course you're entitled to an opinion. Those of us who hear your opinion are entitled to comment on it. And it will be commented on. Our comments won't mean much to you but they're valid and accurate. A lot of them come from personal experience.

Have you stood up in public in your little town and said the same things you posted here? Have you taken out an ad in the paper bemoaning the fact that your death benefits were less than the fire fighters? Started a petition against the payout of full time benefits? No? Don't you have the courage of your convictions? Or are you, in your town, a poser, a chronic malcontent, and a dilettante...much the same as you are here...and not taken seriously?

You can't come here and make the statements you have with total impunity. If you run your mouth here about things you'd best stay silent about somebody will always call you on it. You should know that by now.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

. AS Supporting Member.
Of course you're entitled to an opinion. Those of us who hear your opinion are entitled to comment on it. And it will be commented on. Our comments won't mean much to you but they're valid and accurate. A lot of them come from personal experience.

Have you stood up in public in your little town and said the same things you posted here? Have you taken out an ad in the paper bemoaning the fact that your death benefits were less than the fire fighters? Started a petition against the payout of full time benefits? No? Don't you have the courage of your convictions? Or are you, in your town, a poser, a chronic malcontent, and a dilettante...much the same as you are here...and not taken seriously?

You can't come here and make the statements you have with total impunity. If you run your mouth here about things you'd best stay silent about somebody will always call you on it. You should know that by now.

I started the thread on the tragedy and kept all of you updated on it, as best I could. I felt as bad as anyone else not directly connected to the losses.

I donated more than to just one fund. I was happy to see the community and the nation respond as they did. Money came flowing in at a rate unequaled in recent past. It was obvious that the money was going to be sufficient and not come up short.

It wasn't until one widow decided that her part-time employee husband should be compensated at a rate equal to those working full-time, that I began to take notice. It wasn't just me that began to think things over further.

The bad thing is, it's just going to get worse as the widow obtains an attorney and takes the city to court. It's going to cast a cloud over the work that has taken place to insure that the families of the 19 lost have been compensated generously.

Oh and BTW.....if I were to call you names, not unlike the names you have called me, you'd ban me again.

When I think of you, the term chicken#### comes to mind. I'm thinking I hit the nail right on the head. :msp_tongue:

twochains

twochains

Addicted to ArboristSite

You Sir are possibly one of the insensitive people I have come across on this forum. Are you just looking to piss people off? After a tragic accident, you make a thread basically saying that you are upset because the families are going to receive more money in death benefits than your family will receive? Who thinks like that?