3 Stihls down in a week.... need help tuning/troubleshooting Stihl 044s and 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my case splitting tool in just a couple minutes, I also have never used any tools to reassemble just a little heat and a little cold then u can put it together with your hands.

I was considering mocking up exactly what the stihl tool appeared to be. I was considering purchasing just due to the limited time I have any more these days. Actually was a welder for quite a few years too, and it looks straight forward to fab. Mind posting me a pic of your tool you came up with?

Good to hear on the reassembly. I had heard they were quite tight, most bearing fits I have machined in my past were all .001 per inch diameter under. Sounds like Stihl went a bit tighter. From the few videos I have watched it sure looks like a struggle for those reassembling the saws crank/bearings without the tool.

I made mine out of a 2 leg puller, it don't take much of a setup your split them. If u trow the crank in the freezer and heat the case some they fall together. Crank in the freezer and hour or more is how I do it.

Back