1998 Dodge 3500 chip truck Payload & towing capacity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summit583guy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys im looking at buying a used 98 dodge 3500 dually, cummins, 4x4 and a steel dump box. Does anybody know if I would be well within the safe payload capacity with a 10ft box and 5 ft sides (full of chips ) & towing a bc1000 vermeer chipper? or should I move up to a F450 ,550?

I don't know how much a bed full of chips weigh but I would think it would be too much if it's over 3k lbs in the truck.

Hi guys im looking at buying a used 98 dodge 3500 dually, cummins, 4x4 and a steel dump box. Does anybody know if I would be well within the safe payload capacity with a 10ft box and 5 ft sides (full of chips ) & towing a bc1000 vermeer chipper? or should I move up to a F450 ,550?

I've got an old truck at the shop exactly like you described but it is not a dump. Same year same everything. 62,000 original miles. I would say you need to move up to a heavier truck.

We do it a lot and yes the truck will be (legally) overloaded. But it will handle it fine. Me dump insert weighs like 800 pounds then the salt spreader weighs 500 then I put we'll over 3k in salt in it and its fine. Overloaded yes but does it all day long in my 3500.

Those weight ratings are actually more of a suggestion cause we all know it ain't loaded til its overloaded.

I have seen some small trucks and some big chippers. I think its a little much. I run a F350, ten foot steel box and pull a 4500lb chipper. I think that is within reason but I still don't go anywhere near DOT stops or scales.

If it's a good deal and in good shape it would be a good stepping stone until you get something bigger. Good condition used f450's and 550's are significantly more expensive.

The only problem with the fords anymore is you can't get a new one that isn't poop anymore. I just got a paper from ford about the lawsuits for the 6.0 and the new 6.4 I'm getting 3200.00 for all the parts I changed finally!!!! They won't reimburse my labor but at least I got something back.

That lawsuits has close to 100k people involved.

The only problem with the fords anymore is you can't get a new one that isn't poop anymore. I just got a paper from ford about the lawsuits for the 6.0 and the new 6.4 I'm getting 3200.00 for all the parts I changed finally!!!! They won't reimburse my labor but at least I got something back.

Wow. Did not know about the lawsuits but have heard that the 6.0 is garbage. When I was looking for a truck a few months ago there were some 6.0's going really cheap but I steered way clear of them. I ended up buying an f550 with a gas v10 due to emissions laws being so stingy around here. Truck is great so far.

I think you will be fine with a load a chips and towing a chipper. I have had 5,000lbs in the bed of my 1 ton drw with a dump body and it handles it just fine. I have also had it loaded with 4,000+ pounds plus towing 13,000lbs. It was overloaded, but really handled it quite well. Just go slow and be careful.

I know those trucks will haul pretty much anything. Everybody knows those 12 & 24 valve 5.9 cummins are awesome with the dana rear end. Problem is the DOT often sets up roadblocks around here and there not always visible. I got busted last year in my f350, non dually diesel pulling my little 625 vermeer and a full load of chips in my dump insert. I was 500lbs over my legal limit and got fined $600 & had to get a saftey inspection at the mechanic. According to the DOT officer my stock f350 4x4 diesel 1999 can only carry a combined weight of 5000lbs (payload & trailer) that seems pretty low if you ask me.

I know those trucks will haul pretty much anything. Everybody knows those 12 & 24 valve 5.9 cummins are awesome with the dana rear end. Problem is the DOT often sets up roadblocks around here and there not always visible. I got busted last year in my f350, non dually diesel pulling my little 625 vermeer and a full load of chips in my dump insert. I was 500lbs over my legal limit and got fined $600 & had to get a saftey inspection at the mechanic. According to the DOT officer my stock f350 4x4 diesel 1999 can only carry a combined weight of 5000lbs (payload & trailer) that seems pretty low if you ask me.

It all comes down to how you have it registered.

I know my 2012 dodge 3500 dually, can tow 17k on the bumper, and 20k on a goose neck. But in order for me to tow over 10,000 lbs, i need to get a combination weight rating on my truck, which causes me to pay $500 a year registration, and get my truck inspected every 6 months.

As far as what chips weigh, i know when i buy mulch, it weighs about 700 lbs a yard. I would guess fresh chips would weigh less, but 700 lbs a yard would be a safe number to use for figuring out what a full load of chips weighs.

I got a letter last week about a class action lawsuit, the one I got has 150k dollars being potentially awarded to the plaintiffs and 14 million to the lawyers. If it is the same one and there are 100k people making claims the lawyers will be the only ones to gain anything.

I got a letter last week about a class action lawsuit, the one I got has 150k dollars being potentially awarded to the plaintiffs and 14 million to the lawyers. If it is the same one and there are 100k people making claims the lawyers will be the only ones to gain anything.

It said I could possibly recoup my repairs I can only hope so.

It all comes down to how you have it registered.

I know my 2012 dodge 3500 dually, can tow 17k on the bumper, and 20k on a goose neck. But in order for me to tow over 10,000 lbs, i need to get a combination weight rating on my truck, which causes me to pay $500 a year registration, and get my truck inspected every 6 months.

someone lied to you!!!!! first off im not sure a 3500 dodge can tow 17k on the bumper & 20k on a gooseneck legally???? 2 a year inspections are for QMCV (qualified motor carrier vehicles) GVWR of 17,001 & above , the commonwealth asks that you regsiter as a combination, your registration fee is based on vehicle weight class........there is no way your weight rating is class 8, thats what I have & its $405 a year............but everyone should check out the new FMCSR & the new CDL law, you like all the new BS you are gonna have to have now! whatever you do dont get caught overweight!!!!!!!!!!!! & have your Med Card ready.

LXT.....

What is a CDL? I don't think that exists in BC. Here our license restricts us by number of axles. In BC were allowed to drive a single axle bucket truck without air brakes under a regular drivers license. In other provinces such as ontario you need a upgraded license to drive a bucket truck (d license ).

I have a 1999 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 with a steel dump box. I just checked the sticker on the door frame. The GVWR is 11,000 lbs or 4990 Kg.

That figure is the most the DOT will allow that vehicle to travel down a road without being overweight.

To answer your question. Yes it will handle the weight. I highly doubt it will do it legally. You will be better off with a F550 or a RAM 5500. Those have a GVWR of 19,000 lbs.

Here is my truck and my set-up. With the aluminum box (900 lbs empty), full of gear and tools, and without the weight of the chipper tounge added in, it weighs 4300kg. It is very close to it's GVWR. Legally I have room for about 3 yards of chips. It probably holds close to 7 or 8 Yards (extra 3800-4400 lbs) when full. Yes, it will haul it no problem. If full whould I be overweight? Way over. I rarely fill it unless I'm on private cottage roads. If I have alot of chips to move where I may run into the DOT, I'll bring my dump trailer. Yes, I'm looking for a RAM 5500.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Just some food for thought. My 2012 5500 has a 19,500 GVW. As it sits without any chips it weighs in at 13,500 That leaves 6,000 lbs for chips, with a 14 yard box. Chipper weighs in at 7,000 lbs... truck will do the chipper and load of chips without too much fuss. A few of my friends just bought 3500's with 9' dump beds, they have 13,500 GVW. A 12' box is going to carry at LEAST 14 yards, little bit overweight for a 3500.

As far as rated towing capacity... I spoke with a dealer one day, told him that I had just pulled a 12K excvavator on a friend's trailer for a total haul of 16,500 plus the truck... he was impressed stating that I had just pulled 30K (this of course included the truck)... just food for thought.

Latest posts

Back